Digger 66

1/4" die-grinder bits ?

Digger 66

What brand have you used with the best results per dollar ?

I need to remove all of the material in the red circle  :roll: down to the bottom of the socket so it will fit around the stub protruding from a shaft .

I've tried the Vermont-American & C/H brands but they all seem to wear away very quickly .

The only tool I can get in there is my 1/4" air die grinder .

Any advice on types / brands of grinding bits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas , ~Gene.

IMG_1047_zps990f6df8.jpg

sorekiwi

I've hated everything from Vermont-American that I have ever used, whether its a drill bit, a saw blade whatever.

You need carbide burrs to attack that, you can buy them from most tool suppliers.  You can pay a lot for them, $30 or $40 apiece is realtively normal for a quality US made one.  I buy them when I see a surplus bin of them at engineering supply places, usually around $5 apiece.

• Like 1

bitten

Im not to sure what is in that socket but you can get a socket from the auto parts stores for real cheap.

Callen

You may be able to find someone with a lathe or mill to cut it out cheaper than buying the cutters.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

You may be able to find someone with a lathe or mill to cut it out cheaper than buying the cutters.

What Callen said! :thumbs:

~Duke :wh:

Digger 66

Im not to sure what is in that socket but you can get a socket from the auto parts stores for real cheap.

It is a " socket from the auto parts store "  :scratchead:

it's the only one I could find with the correct spacing to fit the four tangs that go into the nut ( in the background) .

Problems is , it has this great big thing in the center that needs to be removed so that it will fit properly .

wallfish

It's difficult to tell how big that hole is but if it's bigger than 1 1/4", it's probably easier to cut it with a disc rather than grind all that material.

1/8" collet adapter and a Dremel 1 1/4 disc?

$0.02

What is that thing anyway?

6wheeler

Looks like a spanner nut socket for a Dana rear axle. If so?You can get an OTC brand socket right for it. Not sure of the part#.I can look at work tomorrow. If you want to fix yours to work? I would suggest get it milled. Take it to a machine shop and they can do it without compromising the integrity of the socket.

bmsgaffer

:text-yeahthat:

All that grinding will just make a dusty hot mess.