rtfbg

D200 / Kohler coupler issue???!!

rtfbg

I recall, back in the day, that we simply disconnected all the engine controls and wiring, then removed the 4 mounting bolts, and the engine slid forward off the pump spline.  Working on one now that doesn't want to slide.  Before I "help" it along, I thought I would check and see if there is something I don't know about!!!

gilly

Did some one drill and pin the coupler or put a set screw in it because of worn splines I have seen this on few machines that I worked on -did not notic this until I remove dirt and paint

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The answer may be in one of these service bulletins if I understand them. #217 was the 1st one and #305 was the 2nd one.

Garry

rtfbg

Garry ... thanks for those TSB's ... good info.  I put a cold chisel between then and gave a few love taps alternating sides, and it moved a hair, so I gave the engine a tug ... and it separated fine.  Guess I got lucky ... nut both the spline shaft and coupler look like crap so I guess I'm officially on a parts hunt!! lol

rtfbg

About half torn down ... got to the dirty part, so I think I go to the car wash and blast off the gunk before I go any further!!! lol

post-12710-0-26749200-1395620342_thumb.j

JamesBe1

Nice teardown.  I see you got the steering wheel off nicely.  They usually are troublesome.  I'm looking forward to more pics!

gwest_ca

Garry ... thanks for those TSB's ... good info.  I put a cold chisel between then and gave a few love taps alternating sides, and it moved a hair, so I gave the engine a tug ... and it separated fine.  Guess I got lucky ... nut both the spline shaft and coupler look like crap so I guess I'm officially on a parts hunt!! lol

Have never seen one of these but one of the parts in those bulletins was still available from Toro a couple of years ago. If I understand it the fine spline failed so they epoxied the coupler to the stub shaft.

Garry

rtfbg

Thanks for the flowers!!  I worked on the steering wheel for over an hour ... then cut it off with a hack saw!!!   I can always weld a new top on it,  if I can't find a replacement shaft.  Thinking about a universal and a little change in shaft direction anyway.

The spline and coupler don't look too bad, which is a surprise, since they trashed the rest of the machine!!

rtfbg

So ... I had an extra end table hangin around, so after some extra reinforcement at the bottom, and some casters, it now lives as a K532 engine stand ... and it spins like a top!!  Perfect height for working from an office chair!!  lol

post-12710-0-20075100-1395700435_thumb.j