Sign in to follow this  
duke

18 Auto Three Point / Clutch-Problem!

duke

I rebuilt the clutch assembly with new pads and now when it's altogether the clutch brake won't stop the pto at all? Also, the Three Point won't hardly lift the tiller high enough to clear the ground? The cylinder is moving all the way out but the lift barely moves an inch up? The height adjustments are set all the way down for maximum lift but the tines barely clear the ground, is this normal? Seems like extremely poor engineering? I installed a rebuilt pair of valves, got rid of all the leaks and now it's even worse! I loosened the 7/16 bolt on the pto, applied lock tight, and re-intalled it barely snug. Then after the locktight dried, I tried the PTO and it actually worked, however now the clutch brake pad is shot and my fingers are very sore from making adjustments while it was hot, dah-hah! Isn't there a way to get a little more height out of this set up? Does the lift cylinder get worn and fail to extend all the way? The fluid level get too low and needs re-filled a bit? I'm ready to just quit on this one and part it out!

Update, now the lift is there fine but the backside of the clutch smashes into the bearing ring and bracket assembly ,as if the area designed to engage the bearing is worn down?

Thanks for the help, I think I got it fixed. I pressed a machine bushing unto the backside of the first clutch plate, renewing the metal surface where the bearing engages, $1.05 at Ace.

Edited by duke

bitten

There is a brace that goes in between the frame rails that the lift cylinders mounts to, check to see if it is still in good shape. If it is bent or cracked it will keep you from being able to lift the tiller. 

Good luck