Ed Kennell

Head gasket advice

Ed Kennell

I did some shopping for new head gaskets for me 520H  w/ P220G onan. 

The local WH dealer will order them for 32.22 each.

The local JD dealer may have them in stock, If I can tell them the model JD that has this engine ???

Jacks has a graphite #465235 replacement , I think it is a Stens,  for 10.81 each.

Small Eng Wharehouse has the  #465235  Stens ,scratch and dent, for 10.00 each

Onan Parts has #0110-3181 by CUMMINS Power Gen  for #10.00 .

Are these Stens gaskets OK to use or should I pay the extra $45 for the WH ...not sure, they may also be Stens .

Are these vendors OK with delivery ?

:thanks:   For any input.

Edited by ekennell

Ed Kennell

Thanks Martin....I just placed the order with Onanparts.

Martin

Great! I've bought quite a lot of parts from him. Fairly quick on the shipping to IL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ericj

ed i buy the head grind set it comes with head, intake, exhaust, and valve cover gaskets for about $ 50.00 last time i checked. i've bought them from onan parts.com

eric j 

Ed Kennell

Any advice on head and block surface prep ?    And do you use any lube on bolt threads and washers to get correct torque ?

WH nut

Any advice on head and block surface prep ?    And do you use any lube on bolt threads and washers to get correct torque ?

Use a plastic or wood scraper. Be very careful if you use anything abrasive. Lubing the bolts is always recommended.

• Like 1

shorts

Only use a plastic or wood scraper and chemical gasket remover to clean the aluminum head surface, the machine finish is engineered to help hold the gasket in place during operation. Find an onan manual and use their recommended bolt lube procedure for the threads and under the bolt heads/washers again it's an engineered process and different lubes will result in different amounts of bolt stretch or clamping force at a given torque.

• Like 3

HorseFixer

ekennell,

You wont be sorry for ordering from TJ. I purchased a complete engine rebuild kit from him 2 years ago on my 520 SNOW CHUCKER and everything came out perfect. His prices are right inline and he is great on delivery. :thumbs:

Good Luck :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:woohoo:         Great service......The gaskets I ordered from Onan Parts on Thur were delivered Monday.  

BTW...I could not get the old gasket off with the plastic scraper.  I reluctantly used a razor blade. I kept it very flat to the head and block surfaces to prevent any risk of gouging the surface.  I then used a block plane (w/o the blade) as a surface plate covered with 500 grit emery paper to remove the remnants of the old graphite gasket material.  Then scrubbed with Sea Foam.  The surfaces still have the small indentions from the metal points on the old gasket.  This seems to result in a good flat clean looking surface...hope It holds the new gasket.  The most difficult part to clean was around the valves on the block, as the stick up above the surface making it more difficult to scrape and keep the block plane flat.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 1

HorseFixer

Looks Like Your on yer way. :thumbs:  Make sure your tightening  :tools-wrench:  sequence and Torque's are Correct. :handgestures-thumbupright:  

~Duke :wh:

HEADGASKET.jpg

AssemblyTorques.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thanks Duke.... She was running at  4PM . I couldn't keep her running too long though as I painted the muffler and exhaust tins with high temp paint and it started to stink pretty bad. My heated shop is in the basement of my house and I wasn't ready to take her outside yet.  She did sound good the short time she was running.  I'll get her outside where I can run her till she gets hot, then tune the cab and check for leaks.

I was leery  about only torqueing to 16 ft lb....seemed like it should have been higher,  but I followed the manual.

I did use the torque  sequence  and sneaked up on the 16 ft lb in 4steps.   Then left it sit for an hour and retorqued to 16.  Do you retorque after running up to max temp ?