Nathanielperz

Muffler Help

Nathanielperz

Hey guys sorry if this in the wrong place but, I need help...

I am having a real hard time getting the muffin exhaust off of my 1276... It sat outside for 15 years... 5 years covered and the other 10 uncovered. So as you can probably imagine that exhaust is going no where. I have tried WD-40 and this stuff called Liquid Wrench. I was using the biggest pipe wrench I have and nothings working... I don't want to wrench on it to hard because my dad warned me that I could crack the block If I wrench on it too hard.      :tools-hammerdrill:            Then I would have a big problem...

Anybody got any tips for me to try out?

Thanks in advance, Nate     

rmaynard

Are you trying to save the muffler, or are you just trying to get the nipple out of the exhaust port?

rmaynard

If you are just trying to get the nipple out without saving the muffler, cut the nipple off with a hacksaw or sawzall about 1/4" out from the block. Then take a cold chisel and a hammer and tap on the portion that is sticking out until it collapses. Then you can just pull it out with your fingers or a pair of pliers.

Nathanielperz

Yeah I don't care about the muffler the bottom of it is all rusted out... I want to put a stack on it... I might want to cut it off right at the block though the entire piece is really rusted...

Thanks, Nate

Trouty56

Do what Maynard said...leave a bit sticking out and use a punch to break it towards the middle....it will collapse and will almost fall out itself....

• Like 1

rmaynard

I have done this at least 5 times, and it never ceases to amaze me how easy it is. Oh how I cursed before learning this method. :ranting:

Nathanielperz

Haha I know the feeling maynard I was really wrenching on mine and it slipped off... I punched the cast iron frame... :ranting:     good thing my parents weren't in the shed with me... Hahaha