Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Re-purposed icebox

CasualObserver

Been wanting to put this up for a long time, but never remembered to load the pictures online until last night.

My wife, Kim, and I wanted a wine bar for the living room, but the more we looked at places like World Market, Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn... the more we realized that everything nowadays is just laminated MDF. We wanted something real. So we came up with the idea of using an antique icebox, and started looking at flea markets and antique malls. We looked for well over six months to find one with two large doors rather than the more common three door models. We found one that had been gutted by a previous owner, and I retrofitted the interior, making no changes or damage to the original piece. We like it.

winebar1.jpg

winebar2.jpg

winebar3.jpg

winebar4.jpg

winebar5.jpg

DMESS

Very nice! Do I see a fan of "Yellow Tail" in the house? :banghead:

kj4kicks

Nice job Jason ! I like that you kept the outside original, and even made the interior look like it's been there all along.

:banghead: :USA:

combatmp29r

Very nice piece of work Jason :banghead:

Nick

Very nice work Jason. Nice re-use of an antique icebox. :banghead: Guess I could store some Diet Dr Pepper in one of those. :banana:

Nick

Thought of an :banghead: story related to antiques. Several years ago on ebay I had sold an antique Toledo twist drill cabinet with pigeon holes plus several sizes of wood drawers in it. We had it in the garage for 30+ years storing bolts so it was in rough shape. The buyer was a woman in California who had it shipped out there saying she wanted it to be restored for her sewing room storage.

Now it might be my wishful thinking but in a "living with Ed" episode, they visited one of his friends home showing the wife's sewing area, and I thought it looked like Dad's old cabinet restored and in that room. :USA: Have to catch it again someday to be sure I wasn't just seeing things. :omg:

CasualObserver

Very nice! Do I see a fan of "Yellow Tail" in the house? :banghead:

Thanks a lot for the compliments guys. It took a while to cut and dado all those square dowels!

And Dustin... good eye... yes... that's one of our favorite cheaper bottles!

DMESS

I thought that was "tail". Really not much of a wine guy myself. We have a few dusty bottles arond here, although we do enjoy the Canadian ice wines on ocassion.

Curmudgeon

Great work Jason! I'm horrible at any kind of finish work myself. Tried it, but soon realized it was way beyond my capabilities and patience.

On a side note, better not let any collectors of old ice boxes see that, they'd probably flip over how you "destroyed" an original. Even if the previous already had already done so.

My wine storage unit, custom made, well, it stayed with the ex. It wasn't nearly as nice as what you have done though!!

KyBlue

Very Nice!!

HorseFixer

Very fine craftmanship ja-tee :hide: hmmmmm a wine cabinet :hide: do I get free samples :D

Duke

joebob

Jason now we all know where you get your wine from, just kiddin and just alittle of the :hide: it looks really nice, you did good my friend

stevebo

Jason,

I have a friend who is a huge cigar collector and he converts the old ice boxes like this to a humidor. He lines it with spanish cedar and adds a humistat. Would the wife give up 1/2 for that??? great job