wheelhorse66

timing issue

wheelhorse66

How do I know if my k301 is out of time?and how do I fix it?

stevasaurus

The point gap actually controls the timing.  The gap should be .020, but some of the older ones run better at .018.  Here is a link to the manual...section 8 talks about the timing in the Kohler engines and how to check it.  :)  click on the link...click on file...click on download and open with adobe reader.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0skuszqFgg-YTk0ODdjMmYtMjQwMi00NDQ0LTk1YmItZGY4ZmEzODI2MDNk/edit?pli=1

Edited by stevasaurus

tunahead72

An engine that's properly timed will start easily, respond well to throttle adjustments and run smoothly with plenty of power, with no stalling, misfiring, backfiring or overheating.  If you have any of these problems, it's a good idea to check the points gap and adjust it if necessary.

The nominal gap is specified as .020" for the Kohler K-series, but as Steve mentioned a lot of these old engines run better if the gap is set slightly different than that number.  The method outlined in the service manual is a good one if you know beforehand what you want to set your gap at.  If you have a multimeter, there's also a "static" timing method that can give very good results.  There's links here on RedSquare, try a search on "static timing" to see if you can find it -- or maybe someone else has one handy?

There's also guys who use a timing light, with the engine running -- I'm not one of them. :)

stevasaurus

The static timing method and the timing light method are in that manual link.  :)

tunahead72

Good point, I'd forgotten that.

Actually, the static method described in the manual is a little different than the one I was thinking about, but both will get you in the right ballpark.

It looks like there's other issues with this engine, so I'll leave this thread alone for now:

You're in good hands in that other thread. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1