WHEEL HORSE BILL

It runs only with starter engaged

WHEEL HORSE BILL

OK I got the c-101 runninig but it runs with the starter engaged if I let go of the key the starter pulls out and the engines shuts off any idea's as to what is causing the tractor to do this. :banghead:

wheelhorse66

Switch is bad I just had the same thing happen to me on a old sears tractor a few days ago,I had to hold the switch on to make it run

rmaynard

Didn't you ask the same question in another thread? You either have the wrong ignition switch, or you have it wired wrong.

• Like 1

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I'm so lost with electrical maybe I should take it to someone who can fix to problem thanks anyway.

rmaynard

Where did you get your ignition switch, and how is it marked on the back next to the terminals?

WHEEL HORSE BILL

OK the switch is marked a- -r i- -b -s.this switch the starter keeps engaged as soon as i turn the key and motor keeps running then i tried a switch that has an m in the back of the switch.If i turn the key the starter will ingage if i let go of the key the starter will dis engage which is what i want but then the motor will shut off.It almost seems like the starter keeps the motor going.NOT NORMAL.

chazm

Sounds like there may be other issues with the starter itself or wiring to the starter... :dunno:

Here's Info from your other thread - Post # 10 by wallfish shows the switch & where the wires run to. Did you Pm him for any more help as he suggests?

Edited by chazm

rmaynard

Here is all I can tell you without actually seeing the tractor and fixing it for you.

The picture below is how current flows when the key is in the OFF position.

post-2221-0-80986000-1393764054_thumb.pn

When the key is in the ON/RUN position, the current flow is as shown below

post-2221-0-56569000-1393764056_thumb.pn

When you turn the key to START, the current flow to the starter solenoid is as shown below in green

post-2221-0-17487200-1393764058_thumb.pn

When you release the key from start, the current flow returns to the ON/RUN position, and the starter stops running.

If it does otherwise, you have either the wrong switch, a bad switch, sticking solenoid, or you have it wired incorrectly.

Since the tractor will start and run, the assumption is that the seat switch, pto, and clutch switches are all working correctly or have be bypassed.

EDIT: I'm withdrawing the solenoid statement because if it were to be sticking, the starter would be running even with the key off.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

squonk

Does the starter drive retract with the key turned off? If it doesn't it may be physically jammed and you may have it wired correctly after all.

• Like 1

WHEEL HORSE BILL

took me about 2 hours to retrace every single wire now I turn the key and nothing happens now (WTF) is going on. 

squonk

Check the ammeter connections. Real common problem there.

rmaynard

Although it's not shown on my wiring diagram, there may be a fuse in the circuit between the ammeter and the battery. Also, don't forget that the clutch pedal has a safety switch that needs to be depressed, and the PTO needs to be disengaged.

Edited by rmaynard

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I'll recheck everything again today last night I was not happy. The right key switch I turn and right away the starter engages and keeps the motor running.The key switch that has an m on the back side engages disengages no problem but the motor does not stay running it just stalls.I wired everything last night now I turn the right switch and nothing happens I am so stupped. :confusion-confused:

rmaynard

The switch with an M on the back is not the right switch. It is for a tractor with a magneto ignition, so don't use it. Sounds like you have a bad switch.

Do you have a multimeter? 

Are the wires connecting to the back of the ignition switch all individual, or are they enclosed in a 5 pin plastic connector?

Edited by rmaynard

WHEEL HORSE BILL

They are in a plastic encloser

rmaynard

You may have a bad crimp on one of connectors inside the plastic connector.

Do you have a multimeter?

wallfish

Maybe a safety switch wire pulled loose??? That will cause the no start condition. Just a guess

Seems to me that the + wire to the coil and the wire to the small post on the solenoid are connected together somehow.

When you say "retrace every single wire" and "I wired everything last night" does this mean,

Everything was good?

Everything is good now?

Did you find anything that was wrong? If so, what was it?

Was there any indication of wires being overheated?

Were any wires spliced? Or spliced now? 

All new wires now?

Some new wires now?

Did you use a multi-meter, or test light, or physically follow every single wire from connection to connection, or a combination of these?

Was this all original wiring to begin with? Or had someone already done some work to them?

Are the safety switches still in place? And wired? Are they jumped to bypass them?

Did this tractor ever work correctly since you've had it?

How about posting some pictures of the wires? The more details and history you can give, the better we can help.

I realize it can be frustrating but please understand that we are only seeing a computer screen on our end. A good, clear and complete explanation of what you are seeing and doing will give us a much better idea of what the problem could be and will result in a quicker solution.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

SOMEONE PLEASE CALL ME I"M IN THE GARGE WITH THE COMPUTER IN FRONT OF ME AND EVEYTHING LOOKS RIGHT 1401 339-6570 Thanks

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I JUST FIGURED IT OUT .the safety wire to the pedal was not hooked up right geeees all this for one wire

• Like 1

rmaynard

So...is everything working correctly now?

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I got that part figured out no more starter stays on but now the tractor will start then die I'll start it again then it dies.the carb is allset also i rebuilt it about a month ago but i just don't know why it starts then dies.

rmaynard

How long does it run before dying?

Sounds like the fuel pump is struggling to keep the bowl filled. Could be anything from a weak pump to a clogged filter or a collapsing fuel line. Or it could be as simple as the vent in the gas cap being plugged.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

A few seconds then it dies I put a brand new feul pump, filter and fuel line.I do agree the fuel probably ain't getting there fast enough.should i take the filter off.

WHEEL HORSE BILL

I just went out to the garage and come to find out if I turn the key and hold it with my fingers pegged all the way it stays running why is that. the switch works fine but i have to hold the key switch in order for it to run. I would like to take a video and post it but I don't know how.

gwest_ca

Does it work correctly if you sit in the seat?

Garry