boovuc

Length Matters! (On a Trailer)

boovuc

Finally got back to my buried trailer so I could see how my loader would do on a smaller utility trailer. I need to plow out the camp and push back some snow around my mother's house.

Well Crap!  :angry-cussingblack:

I don't trust hauling this around the way it is. I have visions of that load-gate falling off! Looks like I need a bigger trailer!

post-940-0-88574200-1393708097_thumb.jpg

daveoman1966

I have a trailer exactly like that one...  5 x 8.  How about removing the load gate, load the 520 the other way...bucket in front, rested on the front rail or tongue.  Carry a couple planks around in the trailer for loading.  Just a thought...   OR

Load the way you have it, but remove the load gate.  That MAY allow the bucket to rest on the floor.  Tie down straps would be needed in either case. 

squonk

Get a bigger trailer. You will find other uses for it.You won't be sorry.  If you put the bucket in front something may get damaged when turning. 

Digger 66

X-2 ^ 

Bigger wagon !

wallfish

That's how my backhoe is hauled around but the front bucket rests on top of the gate, 6 x 10 trailer. Some heavy duty straps and there should be no problem. It appears you can gain a little more space just by having a wide board under the rear tires so the weight bucket will go over the front rail. Make it so it just barely slides over and that will also support it when bouncing down the road.

baerpath

I agree with John Throw some 2x8's under the rear tires and set the loader onto the gate with the bucket curled to take the stress off the bucket rams. I would cut a tire to put on top of the gate and then strap it down to keep it from scrapping the paint off.

Kelly

This is why I have a small 4x8 trailer, a 6x10 and a 18' car hauler, a trailer for every need, but I know most people don't need, but here with all the tractors I buy and my race car, junk loads I haul, I need a few trailers 

brandonozz

Looks like the tractor/loader combo does a good job of squatting the tires as well.

boovuc

Good points all. I think a bigger trailer is necessary. Those tires are squatting a bit and the tire pressures are correct on them. I'll bet I'm putting a lot of tongue weight on it as well. I had thought about elevating the rears so the weight bucket goes over the rail but keep in mind it's also sitting on some ice so I would need more than just some planks to get it over the rail. (Of course that ice is also adding some weight to things). I could unload the weight bucket and keep it in the bed of the truck but that is a lot of lifting then loading and lifting again!

Oh and the way I back that trailer around......if I loaded the bucket first, I know it would be part of my tail gate and tail light assembly in short order! I even broke the trailer's left side tail light assembly pulling it out of the snowpack it was in. All I did was lift it and SNAP! It was only a year old as I rewired the whole thing last Spring! Oh well! Time to price, trade or sell. I can borrow a trailer from a neighbor to haul it to camp! I need parking!

brandonozz

I'm in the same boat BooVuc,

My little 4'X8' is great for the C's and the ATV but the D with the loader with counter balance is too big and too heavy.  I'm shopping for a good deal on a larger trailer as well but I think due to room here at the house I will need to get rid of the smaller one.  Good luck with your search.

squonk

Sell the small one and for a few hundred more get a bigger one.

AMC RULES

How hard is it to drop the bucket?

Rick_in_CT

A few more feet of trailer would make all the difference.  The trailer pictured is 10 feet, and I can get the tractor with two stage blower in it.

post-8836-0-63692600-1393768779_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ken B

I have the same trailer, overall I'm pretty happy with it. I can fit 3 RJ's or Suburbans snugly on it turned sideways. You are right about the quality of the lights. All I have to do is look at mine the wrong way and they break. Cheap brittle garbage china plastic with no flex WHATSOEVER.

squonk

I've had good luck with mine so far. I have heavy steel boxes around the lights. This is a 5 X 10 floor job.  The front half is going to be widened this spring to fit a C series size tractor across it. :)

post-2380-0-24070200-1393775090_thumb.jp

shorts

Mike, be careful trying to widen the front of your trailer, most of the landscape type of trailers don't have much frame under them, they rely on the truss effect of the side rails for strength. I've seen more than 1 trailer destroyed by backyard re engineering .

Edited by shorts
  • Like 1

squonk

The guy who is going to do it is the same guy who built my loader for my Power King. He has been a Fabricator for 50 years and owned the trailer before me. We only have to go 6 inches a side. It will probably be stronger when done than it is now.

boovuc

It is a PIA to drop the bucket. Not in the time it takes but the weight of the bucket. I just have to bite the bullet and get the green out! And in the same week I get my county real estate taxes! :no: