pfrederi

Jacks small engine parts policies

WNYPCRepair

Just an update...

I got an email tonight saying my "order from Jacks Small Engines has shipped".  Which isn't strictly true, because clicking the "track your package" link shows only that pre-shipment information was sent to the U.S. Postal Service, not that the package was actually mailed.

To be fair, when I placed my order, Jack's did indicate that "Most out of stock items are shipped within 1-5 business days".

That means he printed a label

• Like 1

tunahead72
:)

pfrederi

I hope you guys don't mind me resurrecting this old thread, but I'm starting to wonder about Jack's myself.

I placed an order for Tecumseh carb parts from them a couple of days ago.  Jack's doesn't tell you up front whether items are in stock, but you can check your order status right away and find out what's in stock and what they're waiting for from the manufacturer.  All but one of my parts was in stock.  The final item, a simple $2 gasket, was on order from the vendor and expected in their warehouse two days later.  I checked the status yesterday, and the gasket was then expected two days from yesterday.  I checked again today, and it's now expected two days from today.  I'm sensing a pattern here, it seems the expected date for this gasket to arrive in their warehouse is a moving target.

This all started sounding familiar to me, so I went back to some of my earlier records and realized that I cancelled my last order from Jack's back in 2011 for exactly the same reason.

I think I'm going to let this ride for another couple of days and see what happens.  If Jack's can't tell me definitively when I can expect my parts, I have four other suppliers to choose from.  Ironically, the one place that tells me what's in stock right up front, before I even start to go through the checkout process, is RepairClinic.com, which is one of my favorite online appliance part suppliers.

I'll keep you posted...

I should add to my original post after a couple more changes' by Jack's in the "expected" receipt date ...always pushing it out I finally went to the MTD site.  They had the missing part and shipped it to me in 2 days for cheap shipping.  Never again will I deal with Jack's

tunahead72

So, according to USPS Tracking, my package left the USPS facility in Linthicum Heights MD at 10:44 p.m. on Tuesday August 11, and was expected to be delivered on Thursday August 13.  I still don't have it. :angry-tappingfoot:

bmsgaffer
USPS being the keyword there.

I've never ordered from jacks so I cant comment on them, but as far as USPS I can say that one of my Amazon prime two day orders (shipped priority mail) took a 5 day detour through a city 300 miles away from me...

shallowwatersailor

I think that it is the state of the economy in general. Sorry about my comment not being WH-related

I have a GE dishwasher that is one month out of warranty. Oh well! We bought it from a local appliance chain which has its own service department so we called them instead of GE. When asked, I told the ordertaker what the problem was (no water, checked the float and screens, and would run one rinse with a prime then no water). The service man comes the following week, looks at it for five minutes and says he has to order the solenoid valve. Okay - then: 1. why did I tell the woman what wasn't working; and 2. a service van with no parts? You could have come here on a bicycle!

The following Monday I get a call demanding payment for the service call - and then they will order the part. Give them the payment information and figure maybe by the end of the week we might have it working again. Two days later, a phone call wanting a downpayment of $50.00 because the parts and labor will be $159.00. THEN THEY WILL ORDER THE PART!!!

Three weeks into this and still not repaired. The initials of the chain are B & S. I think they should drop the & !

tunahead72

I finally received my package this afternoon, all items present and accounted for, so I'm happy.

It's interesting to me that according to USPS Tracking, it took three full days for my package to travel from Linthicum Heights MD to Philadelphia (a 2-hour drive along I-95), but only 16 minutes to get from Philadelphia to my local Post Office in Phoenixville (about 40 miles).  At some point in the process, their software indicated that my package had been delayed (no duh!), but there was no further explanation.  My conclusion is that USPS Tracking doesn't necessarily provide very useful information.

As far as Jack's, I don't have any particular complaint exactly, they just seem to be doing what a lot of the other online parts suppliers seem to do.  I'll consider ordering from them again in the future, but I will be more careful about checking whether items are in stock, especially if I need them right away.  And I'll also consider ordering instead from suppliers who tell me up front what's in stock, before I hit the "Submit Order" button (RepairClinic.com comes to mind).

Carry on!

rick
I needed blades for a customer's Frontier finishing mower, so after crossing the blade number to an Oregon number, I called Jack's to verify the blades were in stock. After getting assurance from the young lady that the blades were in stock, I placed the order. I got an email not long after stating that the parts were back-ordered...... I called CS and chewed a$$, but to no avail. I will find a new vendor!
  • Like 1