Pollack Pete

Cheaper Place to Buy Parts

Pollack Pete

OK,so I don't like to overpay for parts.Where's everyone here buying their Wheel-Horse,Toro,Kohler parts lately?I needed a chain tightener for my 44 inch two stage.Bought it from Parts Tree.$51.78  Looks like all of a dollar or 2 worth of plastic.Plastic is real tough to machine too.Gee......it's got 2 holes in it.I really needed the tensioner,but that's not the way I like to get screwed.Anyone come up with a better way to tighten that blower chain?I was thinking of taking some links out and tun without the tensioner.Ideas??

baerpath

My manual say's block of wood, I'll have to go out and look to see if mine is wood though

Pollack Pete

Hi Duane.I saw something one time about a block of wood too.This is definately a pice of rare,exotic plastic.

MalMac

Well when it comes to Toro Wheel Horse parts seems like the price has gone through the roof. I personally thinks it's nothing but a way to stick it to Wheel Horse people. That in it self is a whole other subject. I myself have been getting my Wheel Horse items only from Pat's Small Engine. There prices have been the lowest I have found. I stop going to my dealer because he has been 20% to 40% higher. As far as engine parts I use Pat's again a couple of others engine only places on-line. Anything that can be bought from other than Toro I do that. I gave my local dealer a chance to match what I get it on the net for but he refused. So I told him nothing personnel but business is business. I have dealt with him for several years.

• Like 1

Kelly

I buy most of my WH/Toro stuff from a local old time WH dealer, he knows me, even send business my way, he cuts me a deal on most items, but yes the prices have went up over the last few years. 

As for the tensioner I know a guy that made his own from hard wood took him about 20 min. that was after he bought the new plastic one, then returned it, he did pay a 10% restock fee.  

• Like 1

Forest Road

I buy mine locally. Lets just say my dealer is a very good friend!

Use a piece of wood. It'll probably last longer than the plastic one. When you replace all the other parts get some industrial bearings for the auger end shafts. The factory bushings are junk. Somebody did a real nice write up on his 2 stage last year where he used some easily available bearings. Wish I'd thought of it when I rebuilt mine, next time.

• Like 1

baerpath

Yup keep in contact with your local dealers. Mine will give me a discount and no tax when I buy from her. But I buy from her and she buys from me or I try to find her stuff when she needs it.

• Like 1

c-series don

I replaced my original wood tensioner. I made a new one out of locust which over time will get hard as woodpecker lips. After several hours of use shows only very slite ware. It is very simple to make and I definitely would not pay $50.00 for a plastic one. Just my two cents , thanks.

• Like 1

snowhound

A friend replaced a wooden one with one he made from maple but he soaked it in oil for about 2 weeks before using it.  Says its lasted longer then the original

• Like 1

P3x

I generally find lowest prices at Jack's Small Engines. If you have a side business, you may qualify for the Commercial discount offered.

papaglide

I buy from my local dealer. Sometimes he sells at cost, sometimes says "forget about it. You're a good customer", sometimes he says, " wow is that pricey, you might want to try Napa." Sometimes I pay the normal price. I really like my local dealer. To be honest, it's not really about the cheapest price for me. It's more about the relationship that I have and the service that I get.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Yep Locust or Bow dock or however you spell it, should last longer than all of us.

They are just greedy !!!!!

ebinmaine
On 2/21/2014 at 8:25 PM, c-series don said:

I replaced my original wood tensioner. I made a new one out of locust which over time will get hard as woodpecker lips.

:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 3

Wayne0

Did mine with wood. Plastic was toast and $80+ to replace. Got a chunk of REAL hard wood(some kind of exotic) from a pallet at work. End grain for the ware. Replaced the #40 chain as well. Working great so far. Got a thread on it here somewhere.

Edited by Wayne0
  • Like 2

Jon Paulsen

Pallet wood make for better parts :lol:

I dig it.