Dave607

1996 312-8

Dave607

Hi all, I'm a super newb here, as in this is post one. I've looked around this fourm and this seems to be the place for all things Wheel Horse.

Here's my question. I need a decent lawn tractor and my old farmer neighbor has this Wheel Horse tractor in his barn ( he bought from the original owner,his neighbor, another old farmer who became too sick to live on his own).

Anywho, the tractor looks and runs pretty darn good for an older tractor. It would come with 2 42" decks (rear and side discharge) wheel weights, chains, and a snow plow. Being that I'm a know nothing...is $1000 out of the ball park? Plus I kinda like the old guy and he could use some help with money.

Please let me know what you fine folks think.

Hi I'm Dave!

post-12563-0-43152800-1392694965_thumb.j

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Price isn't crazy for everything included...

been maintained, how's it run?    :scratchead: 

:WRS: 

• Like 1

Dave607

The man take good care of his equipment! I crawled all over this thing, no rust, started up first try after sitting in his barn since October and purred like a kitten. All the attachments are in equally as good of shape. No smoke when running either!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Sounds like a win for the both of you then...

let us know how it goes.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Dave607

I don't really know...well, anything about Wheel Horse tractors, other than my internet study. Is this Wheel Horse a good model?

I most certainly will update and thanks for the replies. I could use all the help I can get on this one.

• Like 1

roscoemi

Wheel Horse is rock solid. Plenty of parts around and you are on the best forum around, there's nothing to lose! :)

• Like 1

Dave607

I remember someone mentioned in my reading that Toro kinda monkeyed with the line some, and the machines weren't as good. Then I've read others saying the exact opposite. So I'm guessing I might as well pick this up? It's not a ruined Toro?

ThreeHorses

I've got a 312-8 and it's a great tractor.

I think you'll be happy with this one.

Price doesn't sound bad for what's included with it.

I've sold the plow and decks for more than you're paying for the tractor with everything.

Go for it!

• Like 2

slammer302

Go 4 IT!!!!!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Others will tell you to low ball him on the price, but you say you want to help the guy out financially...

only you know if the price works for you. It's a very reliable :wh: tractor you're looking at there...should be no regrets with your purchase.

• Like 3

chazm

Sounds like a done deal to me... :handgestures-thumbupright:

ALSO....WELCOME TO  :rs:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sounds good and fair as stated. My opinion of course.

And dave, wellcome to the best place, red square.

Glenn

• Like 1

Ken B

I remember someone mentioned in my reading that Toro kinda monkeyed with the line some, and the machines weren't as good. Then I've read others saying the exact opposite. So I'm guessing I might as well pick this up? It's not a ruined Toro?

Fortunately Toro didn't really cheapen up this model. Another thing to remember is that Toro makes some of the best Commercial lawn equipment you can buy, they do know a thing or two...

I'm with Craig, If the tractor runs great and everything is in nice condition I'd hand the old timer his 1000 bucks..  It looks as though with a good bath and some detailing it will look as good as new. You won't be able to buy a new tractor for a grand that will come EVEN CLOSE to the quality of that 312. The extra mower deck and the blade could fetch close to 500 bucks for someone that needs them... I'd keep them though. That 312 will push its fair share of snow that is for sure. Now go get it.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Go for it -you will not regret it!

• Like 1

Dave607

Thank you all so much for the input. Looks like I'm going to get a good education here! I'm going to give the man his money today and join the Wheel Horse family!!

I'll keep you all posted with pics and questions as they come up. On another note, I made the mistake of looking at some pictures of some of the restored older models...WOW! I might have found a new obsession. These tractors are amazing looking! I look forward to absorbing all your fine folks knowledge. Thanks again!

• Like 4

leeave96

You will like that tractor.  The deck rides on the ground and give a GREAT cut.  Great that you are getting both a SD and RD deck too.  Both have their advantages - hang on to them.

It is unfortunate that once you buy one - it's hard to stop there, but it is a necessary side effect of owning a Wheelhorse... ;)

• Like 1

whfan74

Did you happen to peak and see how many hours are on the meter?

• Like 1

Dave607

If I remember correctly (I'll be more sure in a few hours) it has 640 hrs on the meter. I was impressed it started right up after sitting in a barn since October and runs fantastic. He has a dairy operation and plenty of larger machines for the farm use. His wife just cut the lawn with this machine. I've been looking for a decent tractor for little while and this one kind of just fell in my lap! Something about the look just grabbed me. It's a bonus, it seems to run like a top!

• Like 1

Dave607

Also, I would assume this is a 1996 model year, due to the gold badges? 50th anniversary or something? Is anything else different, other than the gold color on the emblem?

Irv

Hi Dave, :WRS:  I have a '96 312-8 (and an '88), they are a great all around tractor and easy on gas. I'd say for all you're getting and the condition it's a fair deal. You won't be disappointed. By the way, I hunted deer years and years ago around Greenwood (Slate Creek Rd)

• Like 1

whfan74

That is a fair number on the hours. With proper maintenance that machine will last you for a very long time.

Personally the 312-8's are my favorite go to tractor. Easy on gas and will get the job done for you. I have had about a half dozen of them over the years.

Good luck on the purchase!

• Like 1

Dave607

Hi Dave, :WRS:  I have a '96 312-8 (and an '88), they are a great all around tractor and easy on gas. I'd say for all you're getting and the condition it's a fair deal. You won't be disappointed. By the way, I hunted deer years and years ago around Greenwood (Slate Creek Rd)

Hi Irv, thanks for the comment! And yes Greenwood's only claim to fame is our pristine hunting!! Rock Creek forest is literally my back yard and my freezer is full of meat!!

Dave607

That is a fair number on the hours. With proper maintenance that machine will last you for a very long time.

Personally the 312-8's are my favorite go to tractor. Easy on gas and will get the job done for you. I have had about a half dozen of them over the years.

Good luck on the purchase!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to picking it up either today or tomorrow. I'm going to plow out the driveway and see how she does.

How about a service manual? Are they readily available?

Jrblanke

Thanks! I'm looking forward to picking it up either today or tomorrow. I'm going to plow out the driveway and see how she does.

How about a service manual? Are they readily available?

Right here on this very website! Just go out to the main page and scroll down to the manuals section. You will be able to find it in there. 1000 sounds a little expensive to me, BUT, my gut feelings are based off of NC prices that I see. I think a tractor like that would be around 750-900 around here. I think given that prices are a little bit more up north, and the tractor already has Ag tires ($150-$200), chains ($40-$80), weights ($50 - $100), both decks, plow, tractor, etc.....$1000 sounds pretty reasonabe. As others have said, they don't make them like this anymore (or at least not for the price you can buy a used one!)

• Like 1

Dave607

Right here on this very website! Just go out to the main page and scroll down to the manuals section. You will be able to find it in there. 1000 sounds a little expensive to me, BUT, my gut feelings are based off of NC prices that I see. I think a tractor like that would be around 750-900 around here. I think given that prices are a little bit more up north, and the tractor already has Ag tires ($150-$200), chains ($40-$80), weights ($50 - $100), both decks, plow, tractor, etc.....$1000 sounds pretty reasonabe. As others have said, they don't make them like this anymore (or at least not for the price you can buy a used one!)

Thanks! I thought the price slightly high, but to help a neighbor in a tight spot is worth a little premium for me.

I'm very happy I found this fourm! You folks are awesome!

• Like 2