redrooster

Hot muffler

redrooster

Has anybody ever considered addressing the problem of the muffler getting the hood to hot causing the paint to discolor? I'm considering heat wrap for the muffler or applied to the hood.post-12156-139203882801_thumb.jpg

chazm

Here's some ideas...

redrooster

Good info! I would like to see some pictures of methods and materials that worked so the stock muffler could be retained. I'm thinking that as a last resort I would consider a different type of muffler.

chazm

What tractor do you have ??

redrooster

Its a 79 C-141 14 HP

rmaynard

That muffler should have a tab at the bottom that attaches to the front of the engine cradle. Make sure that it is attached. That will set the correct position of the muffler. When they came from the factory, they didn't burn the paint or Wheel Horse would have had a lot of claims I suppose. So I would look for a couple of things that could be making the muffler run too hot.

1. A broken baffle causing a partial blockage;

2. Carburetor set too lean;

3. A leaky exhaust valve.

redrooster

The short block doesn't have a lot of hours on it. The carburetor is being rebuilt. How would I know if the muffler isn't to hot? Hate to take a chance with expensive paint!!

Nathanielperz

Those mufflers get real hot... my brother not realizing grabbed the exhaust after it had been running for a couple minutes and he got 3rd degree burns on his hand...

Kelly

If the engine is tuned correct and the muffler is in the right place it will take years to discolor the paint, I have a couple repaints with stock mufflers and never had a issue

• Like 1

redrooster

Thanks Kelly!! Full speed ahead with the stock set-up! :-)

prondzy

I see you have a game plan, but I just wanted to throw it out there about the heat wrap. I had heat wrap on my motorcycle exhaust and every time it got wet by washing or rain it STUNK bad for a long time until it burned itself dry again. just something to think about.

Edited by prondzy

redrooster

I have considered some sort of baffle attached to the muffler. There's just very little room to work with.