Rydn49

A90 Special Transmission Issue

stevasaurus

Mike's right about your commitment to this horse...but it may be worth it to open the trans and see what the condition is inside.  I was told at a welding shop that the Wheel Horse castings are weldable due to the US metal in them. (excellent quality)  Both sides could be welded, as long as the weld is ground down.  I had some welding done a couple of years ago on the casting of a RJ transmission.  Costs me $20.  To of the bolt holes were broke off.  I would suggest a good welding shop though. :)

2010_10155003transmission0004.jpg

2010_10155003transmission0002.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus

Rydn49

Steve,

I guess my other option if I am not commited is to scrap the Horse which I do not want to do. Not sure how easy it would be to find a replacement trans. I hopefully can get it welded, should be able to. I have no need for this tractor other than for the fun of restoring it and the hope that it teaches my kids something(not sure what maybe mechanical skills and that we dont have to throw things away when their old). So saying that I will diffentetly try to fix this thing the best I can with the help of all the knowledge on this forum.

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

ol550

Weather permiting I plan to go to the farm this weekend.  Have to check to make sure but thinking I have a pair of them.

Check your engine out and let me know.  Only reason I have them is I use a 800 Special to drag cars into my shop and

thought I might tear one up.  Been at least 8 years and no trouble yet.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If Mike does not have one...place an add in the want ads here.  There just might be one at the Big Show in June also.  May not even need one...need to see what is going on inside yours.  :)

stevasaurus

One word of caution...at this point.  When you open this trans up...do NOT take out the shafts with the shift forks on them.  There is a detente ball on each side of a spring in the casting between the shafts...TT in another thread here lately said he had a heck of a time trying to get that stuff back together.  If the transmission shifts now, you do not need to touch those shafts.  I think the manual tells you what side of the trans to take off...make sure that is the side you remove.  :)  TT got it back together, but if TT had a tough time...that is enough for me to try to leave those parts alone.  :)

• Like 1

Rydn49

Steve,

Your the man, that is why I love this forum. That is information I would not have know and would have caused even more issues. Currently she seems to go into all the gears fine, just need to free up the axels so they spin in oposite directions when they should. Working on getting help with the welding of the case. Suggestions on were I can get the seals for the axels?

Thanks to you both Steve and Mike

stevasaurus

I would go to your TORO dealer first.  Take the model # of your tractor with you.  I got these numbers from the parts list that Gerry put in post #3 in this thread.  If you can get the old seal out without ruining it...take that with you also.

1400 Peerless TEC Tecumseh # 788008....axle seal (2)

1400 Peerless TEC Tecumseh # 788026....case gasket (1)

I am also liking this manual for doing your trans...it has a trouble shooting section that talks about the axles having the same issue that you have...:)   page 1-10

http://www.myelec-traks.com/692911.pdf

Edited by stevasaurus

Rydn49

Ok ordered the axle seal and case gasket from my local Toro dealer. The parts lady was very happy that I had all of the model and part numbers. She says that normally guys come in with out part numbers making it impossible to find what they need. So thanks to you Steve for the help. Been working on the frame and other parts removing rust and paint to start priming. Starting to slowling take apart the B&S to see what needs to be replaced in it.

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That knowledge of knowing what to take to your favorite TORO dealer is the product of trail and error...one trip with all the information is priceless.:)  I happen to have the luxury of having some old guys that know where to look, and I learned real quick about the information they need to find things.  Glad to help...and I would bet that that lady was real pleased to be able to help you also.  :)  Very Cool!!