Rydn49

A90 Special Transmission Issue

Rydn49

I am brand new to this forum but I am in need of some help. I have a 1974 A90 Special that I think has an issue with the transmission. I have the tractor broken down to just the frame and trans. The issue is when i spin one side of the axel the other side spins in the same direction, like its locked. I can spin the axel with my hand and when I spin the fly wheel the axel seems to spin properly. I am able to go into all three gears and reverse and neutural seems to work ok. Now I say all of this but I have never driven the tractor and this is all done with out the tractor running. 

The other thing that I noticed was on each of the back wheels the axel stuck out about an inch on either side of the rim. I thought the axel should be flush with the out side of the rim. Any help would be greatly appriciated. I will attach a picture or two, but please feel free to let me know what other pictures would be of help in solving my issue. I am worried about taking the transmission apart due to lack of parts and knowledge. But I also want to fix any issues. 

Thanks 

Chris

post-12440-0-88983700-1392000068.jpg

post-12440-0-36932200-1392000097.jpg

post-12440-0-39591100-1392000128.jpg

Rydn49

Help please. Let me know if you need more info to access the problem better. I would rather not leave it as is. I want to be able to turn the tractor like it should. I am pretty sure this is a Tecumseh Peerless 1400 Trans. Any help would greatly appricated :) . I think this trans. might also be in the 800 Special.

Thanks

Chris

gwest_ca

Parts list

I can't find 1400 in any of these but may have missed it

Garry

gwest_ca

The Wheel Horse lubrication chart shows the A-90 Special model 2-4300 transmission capacity as 1 quart of SAE 90-140 GL-5 gear lubricant. Maybe that will help you match up the models in the manuals.

Garry

wallfish

That's not to common of a trans on the WH so most people won't have any experience with them, me included.

I would suggest draining the oil, refill with diesel fuel or kerosene to flush it out and try spinning it with an electric motor to work things loose. Listen for any funny noises as you do it and hopefully it will work out for you.  Sorry for only $.02 worth but maybe someone with some experience on these will see the thread.

Rydn49

Thanks Garry for the links. I looked through those and can not find the 1400. I was able to find a Peerless Mechanic's Handbook for GE Elec-Trak Garden Tractor that included the 1400. Seems like the 1400 is very similar to the 1200 which is in the docs that you provided. From my research it seems that in 1974 this tractor was put together with bunch of left over parts. It has the 8HP B&S that was on the 800 and I think the 800 had the 1400 Peerless also.

Thanks again,

Chris

Rydn49

John,

Do you think I should do this even though it does rotate just does not spin in opposite directions like it should? This might also be a "dumb question" :scared-notify:  but what kind of weird noices? When I spin it sounds like what I think a 30 year old tractor should sound like. I am brand new to this so any help is taken and appriciated.

Thanks,

Chris

bowtieguy

I attempted to repair a Peerless AND a Foote tranny a couple years ago...(axle wore down the alum casing)....after opening them up I quickly decided to junk them out....even if I had repaired them I would still have a Peerless AND a Foote tranny....once you see the inside of a real WH trannny and compare it to the Peerless and Foote tranny, it won't take long to see which one you will want to keep and which ones you will scrap out!s

I think you summed it up pretty good "tractor was put together with a bunch of left over parts"!!!!....but I would like to find one of these B&S engines WITH the starter/gen feature!! :twocents-02cents:

ol550

Any chance you have drained the transmission yet?  From your location I'm betting it is not full of water and

frozen, but you may have rust holding the bevel gears in the differential case.  Doesn't take much rust to

make a mess.  Never been inside of one but it does look fairly simple.  About all you would be out in splitting

it is your time and making a gasket for reassembly.  The idea of putting diesel in it may free it up.  Doubt it

would take more than a couple quarts.  Does look like you may also have an axle seal leaking and the diesel

will more than likely run out there. 

Easy there Frank.  The pearless in these are cast iron.

Edited by ol550
  • Like 1

Rydn49

Thanks ol550 for the insite. I have not trained it yet. Tonight it will be coming off of the frame and then drained. I will give the diesel fuel a try, how long should I let it sit with the fuel inside? If this does not work I will spit it then go from there. I do think that both axle seals are leaking and need to be replaced. Great observation, I went back to look at my picture and i am assuming you noticed the oil on the inside of the rim. Any more imput would be greatly appriciated.

Frank thanks for the info, not sure I want to scrap it just yet. But you never know, I do want to be able to turn the thing and not just go in a straight line.

Thanks

Chris

bmsgaffer

Worst case scenario is turn it into a puller. :techie-eureka:  Those guys lock up the differential on purpose! :violence-blades:

Or just put a lot of weight on the front end to get the tires to dig in and break one of the rear tires free when you turn...

:eusa-think:  Ok, maybe I'm not helping that much...

Rydn49

Brandon

Hopefully thats a last resort :dunno:  but it may be thats what it was turned into befor I got the tractor. They guy I bought it from was using it to pull his big mud trucks around. I did make the comment it would pull anything, so its possible he did something to it, but I hope not. Really want to be able to ride this thing around and not just make it a pull only tractor.

Thanks

Chris

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square..:)  I have not been in one of these either, but I do have a couple ideas.  1. the axles will only spin in opposite directions when the trans is in neutral...you did not say that you had it in neutral when turning the input pulley.  2.  There are no pinions in this differential.  It is a bi level gear differential...I don't think you can lock this transmission like you would for a puller.  While in neutral, try holding one wheel still while turning the other wheel.  Don't force it, but be firm.  You may have one or both thrust washers locked up with a little rust.  You will have to get enough diesel in the trans to reach the differential internal parts...the diesel can stay in there for days if need be.  Set the trans in some sort of a wash tub when you fill it with diesel...in case the seals start to leak.  Let us know...:)

bmsgaffer

Brandon

Hopefully thats a last resort :dunno:  but it may be thats what it was turned into befor I got the tractor. They guy I bought it from was using it to pull his big mud trucks around. I did make the comment it would pull anything, so its possible he did something to it, but I hope not. Really want to be able to ride this thing around and not just make it a pull only tractor.

Thanks

Chris

From what it sounds like to me he may have taken and welded up the bevel gear differential (i assume that's what you meant Steve?) so that it would have more traction. It looks like there is a bracket out on the front of it that he may have loaded up with weight to counter that. Im not real familiar with these but just a thought.

If that's the case then you might be looking for a new differential. I hope it is not the case though!

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

Rydn49

Steve thanks for the info. I plan to remove the trans tonight and drain. Then fill with diesel and let sit. I did try to spin it in neutrual and received the same results. I will respond back with my results.

Brandon hopefully he did not weld anything but I am not sure. To me it looks like this tractor has ever been apart, so I dont think anything has been done to it. The prev. owner put the rack on front because he was using a car battery to start it :orcs-cheers: .

Thanks again

Chris

stevasaurus

Chris...take lots of pictures...it does not seem like there is a lot of experience here on these transmissions.  I have a feeling that you are going to end up opening the trans.  We can help you more if you have lots of pictures.  I've taken apart some pretty rusty transmissions...thought they were junk when I opened them...but with electrolysis, they clean up and I was able to save them.  One took me about 3 weeks of soaking with penetrating oil to just get it apart.  :)

stevasaurus

Check out this link...or Google Peerless 1400 Transmission...lots of stuff to look at.  :)

http://www.myelec-traks.com/692911.pdf

Rydn49

Steve thanks for the help. I found the Elec Trak this morning. Funny we both found this today. I took the tranny out tonight and will next drain and fill with diesel. Please see the pics I took. It appears that the case has been welded were it may have had a crack. In one of the pics you can see the weld and a surface crack that does not seem to be to deep. I also noticed when the tranny was upside down oil was leaking out of the shifter, is that normal?

Thanks all.

post-12440-0-08757000-1392088897.jpg

post-12440-0-12625600-1392088923.jpg

post-12440-0-13911700-1392088961.jpg

post-12440-0-62319900-1392088995.jpg

post-12440-0-35320300-1392089016.jpg

post-12440-0-17507700-1392089045.jpg

ol550

Your case does look rough, but does it leak around any of the places where there look to be cracks? 

Do a little cleaning at the rough places to determine if they are cracks or just a crappy mold job. the leak

at the shifter is fine any other leaks, not so good.  Keep us updated.

• Like 1

Rydn49

ol550

Does not seem to be leaking from the cracks but still need to do alot of cleaning to be positive. What do you think about the color of the oil coming out, is that usual for a case that has not been drained for a long time? Thanks for taking a look.

Chris

stevasaurus

Nope...that oil has some water in it.  :eusa-think:

Rydn49

Thanks Steve. I thought it looked a little "watered down".  Will be draining the trans tonight and hopefully filling with diesel tomorrow. I tried your suggest with holding one side will turning the other with no different result. Hoping that the diesel will break down the rust.

Pictures to follow.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

Rydn49

Bad news. The trans is leaking at the crack in the pics above. Tried to fill the trans with diesel and the crack started leaking. Looks like it will need to be welded up. Any suggestions on welding the trans crack. Inside our out? Also the trans is leaking at both seals at either shaft. This project is getting tougher by the day.

Steve I took a look at your 2012 sow pics. I bet that show is a blast. Looks like u had a great trip. Thanks for your help.

Chris

• Like 1

ol550

Bummer :banghead:   Although I do have a spare. :handgestures-thumbup:  Wonder what it would cost to ship. :dunno:

Need to check you level of commitment to this project tractor now.  What shape is that

Briggs in?  :confusion-confused:

Rydn49

ol550

You have a Peerless 1400 in working condition :handgestures-fingerscrossed: ? Well the Briggs needs to be gone through. Smoking pretty good. I had planned on that, new rings piston, head gasket..........

I am commited and in no hurry to just throw it together..............but also dont want to throw money at it.

Let me know if you serious about the trans not sure I could swing it but its worth asking.

Thanks,

Chris