oe espo

86' 312A converted to Eaton 1100

oe espo

Had trouble with original Eaton 700, bought a parts tractor 416H advertised as a a good transmission. Tractor was stripped of about everything but all I wanted was the better transmission with filter. Not a small job to convert. Anyway, slow going forward. Seems faster in reverse. The control lever seems to stroke out (lever moves a long distance before movement starts). I started using it to plow with. Load test seems good because it will push a heavy load till traction loss. One thing noted during conversion was the 416 trans had a lot more backlash when turning the input by hand. I cut open the filter in the parts tractor and didn't see anything troubling although it was an extreme leaker. PS I just had as bypass hose made for the hydr valve. Not sure what to tear into next? Another symptom is that I start engine with pump belt disengaged. When I drop it in the motor see's a really heavy load! Any help appreciated. Or leads on hydro parts, seals or service? I never had one apart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

squonk

I replaced the Eaton 1100 with another unit I got at last year's show in Marvin. The original one got weak after about an hour. The replacement one is faster in reverse but forward is not what I consider slow. But the reverse is a lot faster than the old one was.I adjusted the neutral setting and even replaced the linkage cam as the old one was worn on the forward side. No difference. I'm not to worried about it. It is actually kind of nice for snow removal with the constant backing up. When I engage the pulley cold there is a couple of seconds delay before the engine loads up. I let it run for a few min. in neutral before I use it.

Edited by squonk

SousaKerry

Forward should be 6-7 mph reverse about 4mph. I would investigate your linkages and the cam plate the eccentric bolt and can can wear and cause these problems.

• Like 1

rexman72

in the past everything that I needed to adjust was the linkage on the eaton 1100

can whlvr

as mentioned already,look at the linkage,just last week I had to adjust one of the connecting rods to get more forward speed

sorekiwi

The control lever seems to stroke out (lever moves a long distance before movement starts).

That sentence might quite possibly be the problem.  Is there play in the Hiem joints in the linkage?

I did the same swap as you have just done back in November on my 518.  I remember that I did have to swap some of my linkage bits that I hadn't expected.  I don't remember exactly what or why, but I was a little surprised that the bits weren't the same between tractors.

oe espo

I'll get the manual out start with setting neutral and go from there. I'll inspect the connections and look for play. I hope I don't have to tear the diff apart or the pump. The two tractors definitely have different setups. 416 is a column and the 312 is a console style lever that I want to try to keep. Amazingly I don't see any major leakage so I suspect it may have been coming out of a seat pan bolt. If I get the speed fixed I'm going to look for a lift cylinder and convert from manual.

Martin

when adjusting forward/neutral/reverse its important to raise the wheels off the ground like the manual calls for. just makes it so much easier to fine tune it.

squonk

When I adjusted mine I had the wheels off the ground. Very touchy adjustment. When I got the wheels to stop turning, all I had to do was break wind and they would start turning.  :hide:

• Like 1

Jake217

I did the same change to my 86 312A two years ago.  I had a similar problem using the linkage from the 312A.  I swapped out that linkage with the linkage from the 520H parts parts tractor and things worked much better.  

Hope this helps.

oe espo

Actually thought the new hydro was toast. After a lot of patience. It seems to be picking up speed. Sure is finicky' especially each and every joint has a little wear and it just starts compounding. Hope to get it down on the wheels and try to do some plowing with a single furrow tomorrow. Never done it before. Thanks for everyone's help