gehosky c-125

8 speed trans leaking oil

gehosky c-125

Hello all i have an 8 speed trans on my c-125 it seems to be leaking oil around where the break is. Is this a hard fix and what will i need to do this i am pretty mechanically inclined this is my first wheel horse and figured someone might have some good info 

stevasaurus

I think you mean that oil is leaking by the brake shaft...and not the transmission case halves.  The brake shaft seal is SKF 7410 available at NAPA or motion industries.  The WH# is 100441 if you go to TORO.

Take off the brake band and the brake drum.  You can dig out the seal with an awl...it is only about 1/8" thick.  Once you get the seal out...check for up/down and side to side play in the shaft to determine if the bearing is OK.  You should not really have any play.  If all is good, file any burrs on the end of the shaft and key way (could ruin your new seal).  Some of the guys like to put some tape on the shaft and then slide the seal over that.  You can use some tubing that fits over the shaft, or a hammer and punch to tap the seal back in.  :)

• Like 3

gehosky c-125

Thanks stevasarus you have been great help once again. i Really apprciate it. If the bearing is bad is that a pain to get out and do you know where to get that as well? Thank you.

Lane Ranger

The bearing is inside the transmission and would require a bigger job of removing and opening up the transmission to perform a replacement job on the bearing.   The seal can be done when the brake is removed and the old one can be picked out with an ice pick (or use this trick screw in a small Phillips head screw and pull it out with a pair of pliers) ,  I use a  big sided  washer (that will go over the brake shaft in this case) on  oil seals and a PVC pipe with a rubber mallet to tap the new seal back in place.   The new seal should be oiled before installing.    Like Steve says above if the shaft has a lot of play after you take the old seal out you may have a bearing issue but a leaky seal does not always mean you have a bad bearing.

stevasaurus

Hopefully, it is just and old seal.  Yes...bigger job...like Lane said...involves dropping the trans and splitting.  Not terrible, and a lot more involved, but the bearing is available and not expensive.  Let us know what you find and we can go from there.  :)

gehosky c-125

Thank you fellas really appreciate the help will let you all know what i run into