Jake217

Auger Straightening Tips?

Jake217

Hey Everyone,

I hit a big rock during the last storm and bent the auger on my 79360 a good 3/4" out from center.  I'm trying to figure out a way to get it straight again.  Has anyone else figured out a trick to straighten a bent auger/shaft?  My only idea now is to pull the bearing out of the auger and try to find a long metal rod, run that into the auger a quarter of the way, figure out how to stabilize the auger, heat it up, and beat the crap out of metal rod until auger is straight.

Anyone have a better idea?  I just completely overhauled this blower last year; new auger bearings, new jackshaft bearings, new chain...all those parts are still in good shape.

Thanks,

Jack

Ed Kennell

I have straightened truck bumpers by looping a cable around the bumper at the bent in area, then using blocks and a 4X4 timber, pulled the bumper straight with a hydraulic bottle jack. If you can get e cable threaded around the auger, you may be able to pull it straight on the blower.  :twocents-02cents:

GOOD LUCK    :rs:

Kelly

if the main part of the auger is bent, you will need a auger, I don't think you will get it perfect, and it will wobble and vibrate, and trash your bearings.  

Hydro

I spoke with my mechanic who has over 30 years of experience on lighter weight equipment before buying my thrower and the one thing he told me was to make sure the Auger was straight.

My local Toro dealer told me if the Auger is bent the unit is salvage.  Given it's design I don't know how you would straighten it.  Best look for another thrower and save your good parts.

js5020

Hey Everyone,

I hit a big rock during the last storm and bent the auger on my 79360 a good 3/4" out from center.  I'm trying to figure out a way to get it straight again.  Has anyone else figured out a trick to straighten a bent auger/shaft?  My only idea now is to pull the bearing out of the auger and try to find a long metal rod, run that into the auger a quarter of the way, figure out how to stabilize the auger, heat it up, and beat the crap out of metal rod until auger is straight.

Anyone have a better idea?  I just completely overhauled this blower last year; new auger bearings, new jackshaft bearings, new chain...all those parts are still in good shape.

Thanks,

Jack

Dont know what tooling you have to work with or your abilities but if its NLA I would cut the flighting loose from the shaft, replace the shaft and weld the flighting back on.

danjmah

A while back I had an older WH snow thrower with the same issue. Tried all kinds of crazy things to straighten it but had no luck. I even thought of doing what js5020 mentioned. Then a little over a year later when scanning CL I saw a listing for a free New Holland snow thrower for parts. From the pics other than being painted black the auger surely resembled the WH. Fortunately I was able to get it and in my amazement it was a perfect match and in great shape. I was counting my lucky stars. Painted it WH red too!       

Jake217

Thanks Everyone,

I tried bracing one end with a linesman's pole through the auger and then a trucker's chain at the sprocket end.  I wedged the auger between two trees and hooked it up to my 520H with wieghts and chains.  I ended up bending the linesman's pole, buy didn't do anything to the auger.

I'll start combing Craigslist to look for another blower or and junk 79360 or 79363.  The thing had been running awesome when I hit the rock.

Thanks Again.

swarfeater

A hyd press and some tall enough support blocks.  place supports as close to bend as possible to localize bending. a couple tons can do a lot.

can whlvr

its difficult to brace the auger with the fins in the way

swarfeater

it may take some ingenuity to set it up, but you can use the flight itself for support if it lines up that way. it wont take much force to do it if you have the supports as close together as possible, which you have to do to get the bend where you want it. also you can heat the shaft red hot and straighten it up that way, have a straight edge and line up the SHAFT by eye,not the flights.

baerpath

I have parts blowers that have good augers I'm sure someone closer to you must also. I wouldn't even try to fix it blowers are cheap Theres a few on C list for $75 now

• Like 1

whbob2

I bought a used blower with a similar problem.  The Toro dealer in Lynchburg Va had two unsold blowers for the vertical shaft tractor.  Toros parts view indicated that the auger (a $775 part) was the same for my blower (used on my 312-8) and this were the same.  I bought for a little over 100 and stripped the auger, the bearings, and some sheet metal.

• Like 1

Jake217

Again, thanks to everyone.  Just like whbob2 said, some vertical shaft augers cross reference directly to the same number on the 79360.  I found a badly beaten blower for a 257H that had a straight auger.  Checked the Toro fiche and bingo!

Picked up the the junk blower yesterday for $75, stripped out the auger, painted it, and put my little version of Clarence's impeller mod on there and bolted on to my tall chute. I just finished using it on 8" of wet snow.  Works great now!  Throws the wet snow at least 20 feet.

Thanks Again Everyone.

• Like 1

Hydro

Picked up the the junk blower yesterday for $75, stripped out the auger, painted it, and put my little version of Clarence's impeller mod on there and bolted on to my tall chute. I just finished using it on 8" of wet snow.  Works great now!  Throws the wet snow at least 20 feet.

Thanks Again Everyone.

What is Clarence's modification?  Any pics or a link to a post?

Thanks

Jake217

What is Clarence's modification?  Any pics or a link to a post?

Thanks

Just Google "Clarence's Snow Blower Impeller Kit".  Since the single stage blowers don't have impellers, I put the the plates on the flat section of the auger that feeds the chute.  I'll try to get some pics posted.  The mod works really well.  Actually, I think there are some posts on this forum regarding the mod. Just found it...