Hodge71

Help setting points on a K-482

Hodge71

Anyone able to walk me through this process. I'm used to old cars where you're rotating the distributor to adjust timing. The reason I am interested in doing this is that the engine on my 18 Auto runs for about 10 minutes and then the points stick open. Honestly they look to be the factory points from 41 years ago. In the cold weather it never seems to happen and runs great but as soon as the weather gets warm and I put the mower on it, I can cut for 10 minutes and they stick open and it shuts off. This isn't  going to work now that I have roughly 6 acres to mow at my new place. I have lubed the points and it doesn't make a difference. All I want is this thing to be reliable after my Dad and I put so much work into it over the last month. Thanks in advance…...

Wheel-N-It

hodge I would install a new set of points and see what happens.

Hodge71

Van,

I want to install a new set of points…I even have them setting here ready to go in…I don't know how to do it….Thats why I asked for some help with the process.

SousaKerry

The best place for information is usually the most obvious one, do you have a copy of the engine repair manual??  I would imagine the process is about the same as any other K series engine.

Try this handy link right here on this vary board.

Hodge71

The best place for information is usually the most obvious one, do you have a copy of the engine repair manual??  I would imagine the process is about the same as any other K series engine.

Try this handy link right here on this vary board.

Sousa,

I have the book already and nowhere inside of its 91 pages can I find anything that tells you how to time the points or what value the point gap is. I never messed with small engines and I'm begging for some input from an expert to help me do this correctly. The last thing I want to do is take a tractor that runs (until the points stick open) and make it an engine that wont even start let alone run. Maybe Im asking too tough of a question or the procedure is too complicated….

chazm

Hodge, go to page 36 in the manual. It has the procedure to replace/adjust points & timing  Read over it & then look at your motor to see if it makes sense to you. We'll help ya thru it if needed :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by chazm

Hodge71

Hodge, go to page 36 in the manual. It has the procedure to replace/adjust points & timing  Read over it & then look at your motor to see if it makes sense to you. We'll help ya thru it if needed :handgestures-thumbupright:

I must have a different book because my numbers in 3 end at 3.4 then it goes to 4.1,4.2, 4.3 etc…..

chazm

My bad . its pages 6.7 & 6.8 in the actual manual. I was going off the computer pages

Hodge71

Read over it and I am a bit nervous Chas but I guess its a start. I hope my inductive timing light will work and I guess I will look for the timing mark today..its actually supposed to be double digits here today

pacer

I'll give a go at a description - I know you have heard a million times the saying "its really very easy" but honestly in this case its true.

First you gotta find the points location - of the 2 wires coming off the coil one will go down to the side of the engine to the points, locate where it leads and remove the 2 screws from the little tin cover and set the cover aside, you are now looking at the points. Watching the points, rotate the engine by hand til the points open fully and leave the engine in that position. Now remove the wire that comes from the coil off the points (just loosen the screw and it should be a slide off). The points themselves are held on by only one screw (there are 2 others that hold the points holder to the engine, they dont need to come off) Remove the one screw, the points are held in position by a 'pip', just wiggle it out. Now to do the install - get the points 'pip' back in the its socket and re-install the one screw. This screw should be "just snugged' up allowing just enough drag when moving the points that they will stay. Get your .020 feeler guage out and move the points till the .020 guage  gives a slight 'drag' feeling between the the two contact points, tighten the screw and reconnect the wire from the coil. Rotate the engine and confirm they are indeed opening and closing and maybe re-check the setting. Next turn the key on and slowly rotate the engine again and you should see a slight spark as the points open - if so put the cover back on and it should fire up

The point gap is some what flexible with some leeway OK being closer to .018 - so shoot for this range with .020 being the ideal.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes...

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

Hodge71

That sounds a bit easier as I knew where the points are at and how to take the wire off etc…Ill take a look Pacer..thanks

pacer

I didnt mean to be condescending - I was thinking to get as full a description as I could for a possible 'noobie' later reading the post.

Hodge71

I didnt take it as condescending..I appreciate the help as I am definitely a noob at this part of my tractor…I love learning though

bmsgaffer

Jeff:

There should be a button as you are reading this thread in the lower right, next to the "Quote" button that says "Mark Solved". If pacers answer was the best click it on his. That will help others find it quickly in the future. :)

Edited by bmsgaffer

cleat

If this engine is like my 341 in my Ford LGT the 0.020 setting willl get it started then you use your timing light and looking through a hole in the blower cover and lining up a mark on the flywheel with a mark on the engine block you can actually fine tune the timing by slightly adjusting the point gap.

ebinmaine
On 1/30/2014 at 11:37 AM, pacer said:

NOTE THE DATE ABOVE 

On 1/30/2014 at 11:37 AM, pacer said:

The points themselves are held on by only one screw (there are 2 others that hold the points holder to the engine, they dont need to come off) Remove the one screw, the points are held in position by a 'pip', just wiggle it out. Now to do the install - get the points 'pip' back in the its socket and re-install the one screw. This screw should be "just snugged' up allowing just enough drag when moving the points that they will stay. Get your .020 feeler guage out and move the points till the .020 guage  gives a slight 'drag' feeling between the the two contact points, tighten the screw and reconnect the wire from the coil

"VINTAGE"  THREAD ALERT. 

:lol:

I just wanted to take the time to thank Pacer for this excellent explanation from years past.  

@nylyon. Excellent website Sir.  

• Like 1