Stigian

GT 14+2 is driving me nuts!

Stigian

Howdo all, the time had come to give the GT a bit of love and attention and get done a few small jobs on her, I guess she didn't want any attention as she has been fighting me every step of the way!

When I fitted the bigger engine in the GT I couldn't get the drive pulley off the original engine, so instead I fitted this slightly smaller one from a C-175..

GT98_zpsf45d76a1.jpg

A little while ago I bought a new pulley, not 100% correct size but I was sure I could sort that on the lathe..

The internal groove of the pulley is the same size as the original but the outer diameter would need 5mm trimming of it and the groove widened a bit.

The trouble was although I could trim the 5mm off my lathe is too small to be able to widen the groove.. There was just no way I could get a cutting tool anywhere near it!

GT97_zps7aced498.jpg

As the pulley was only 5mm oversize I decided to fit it anyway..

GT99_zpsd030402a.jpg

Only one slight problem.. The belt guard which wouldn't go on because the pulley was too small, now wouldn't go on because the pulley was too big :banghead:

GT100_zps1efa4400.jpg

Oh well, I thought. I've run it without a belt guard for a while (not that I like doing it I should point out), so I can not have one until I can get the new pulley trimmed to size or get the original pulley off the old engine..

So my thoughts turned towards trying to get the snow plow to fit..

GT101_zps821b3be2.jpg

These thoughts didn't last long as the GT was needed for 6x6 rescuing duties. The engine which had previously ran not spot on but quite well decided it was going to be a pain to start and stall under any kind of load!

GT102_zps12559625.jpg

So off came the carb for a good coat of looking at.. Other than a little bit of dirt in the float bowl it was nice and clean inside with no blocked holes.

GT104_zpse01fe4fb.jpg

"Cough cough"!   Yep it is running a bit rich.. and yes the carb needles were set to the correct "unwinds" before starting the engine!

GT105_zps2f84c8d8.jpg

No matter how much I tweaked the carb settings it still sooted the plug up very fast!

GT106_zps4a7ae308.jpg

Out of interest I thought I would compare the main jet/needle thingy with the one from the original 14hp engine..

The top one is the 14hp.  I can't decide the 16hp needle/jet thingy should be that shape or of someone in the past has snapped to very end off and reshaped it!  Any thoughts on that Guy's?

GT103_zps4346c755.jpg

Out of even more interest I thought I'd try the 14hp needle in the 16hp engine...  A big thank you to Stevasaurus  for you help looking through your engine books while we were chatting on Skye the other day :handgestures-thumbup:

Now the GT has been known to back fire in a loud way, so time I was prepared :D

GT107_zps45a433f0.jpg

Who would of thought it... Yep the GT is running in this photo.. No smoke and it revs cleanly.

GT108_zpscfc5076c.jpg

As it was raining Datsun cogs I didn't fancy going for a test drive and getting soaked, so I decided to make a quick "Red neck" belt guard made from an ironing board!

GT109_zpsc8cb3ac5.jpg

Ok, it's not pretty but it will do the job for now..

GT110_zpsae51249b.jpg

GT111_zpse4a285a6.jpg

And I also made a start on making a new shifter panel using some ally and a decal Mark gave me er... last year at some point..

GT112_zps76881e6c.jpg

To replace the rather shrunk and warped original panel.

GT113_zps4e6ea8dd.jpg

So yesterday was GT test drive day..   It started up just fine, no smoke... But once it warmed up it just struggled to rev with wanting to stall, and that was with no load of any sort on the engine!!!!

Yep, the GT-14+2 is driving me nuts!

• Like 7

neil

dont forget Ian , Glen pettit does sone mighty fine replacement GT14 dash plates .& even does a steering wheel cover bezel

Im glad you are not intending to drive that tractor without the belt guard , that machine would tear your leg off & beat you with the soggy end  if you got caught , rember what happened to Chris Sutton & the damage a little RJ done to his leg by getting his jeans caught in the drive pulley .

• Like 1

varosd

Ian,

Love the fishnet belt guard! 

"Honey, where is my ironing board?" :rolleyes:

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Ahhh yeah!    :)  The classic ear muff picture.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Thanks for that...I almost choked to death on my coffee. 

Sparky

Might be time to "soak " the carb in a can of carb cleaner for a few days instead of manually cleaning it. I have a one gallon can with a basket for the carb parts, once its in the can bang the lid back on and let it sit as long as you want or till you have time to get back to it.

Mike...........

KC9KAS

I just love reading your posts. You are so descriptive of your trials & tribulations!

Glad you have some type of belt gaurd...Keeps the pants & leg injuries to a minumum!

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

May as well use that Ironing Board Ian !. It will be no good for a 'Surf Board' and trying to 'Hang Five'  :D .

Let me know the part number of that iffy High Speed Needle, I may have a good clean, used Spare.

Edit :- Forgot to ask what is the diameter of the Pulley?. I may be able to resize it for you.                                                  

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

meadowfield

That needle looks a little blunt!

Brrly1

Ian, I must of lost you on that one. How much bigger is the pulley? I think it suppose to be right around 6 1/4". Your guard looks great. Whats the GT14+2 mean? Not following.  Feeling kind of lost, if ya know what I mean

wheeledhorseman

I was thinking that too. It's the long tapered bit that gives fine control over the mix adjustment.

Guess it got damaged (often by a screw driver being used to remove the jet without first removing the needle) and then 'tidied up' by a PO.

Sparky

Ian, I must of lost you on that one. How much bigger is the pulley? I think it suppose to be right around 6 1/4". Your guard looks great. Whats the GT14+2 mean? Not following.  Feeling kind of lost, if ya know what I mean

The +2 is because he has a 16hp Kohler under the hood instead of the 14hp.

Mike............

smoreau

How I got a stubborn pulley off a rust crank.  I used a 1/4" piece of steel about 3" x 3" and drilled a 5/8" hole in the center. second I used another  pulley to match up the 4 1/4"x20 holes.Third I then used some all thread rod and some nuts with a few washers and a bolt to mount it to the end of the crank. last I cleaned up the exposed end of the crank and bolted up my back yard puller. sprayed on some lube and Slowly I turned the nuts evenly and the pulley came off the crank.

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 1

Stigian

dont forget Ian , Glen pettit does sone mighty fine replacement GT14 dash plates .& even does a steering wheel cover bezel

Im glad you are not intending to drive that tractor without the belt guard , that machine would tear your leg off & beat you with the soggy end  if you got caught , rember what happened to Chris Sutton & the damage a little RJ done to his leg by getting his jeans caught in the drive pulley .

I have been thinking of treating the GT to a new dash plate and a steering wheel cover bezel thingy would be a good idea as well, so Glen will be getting an order sooner or later.

I will admit I have been using the GT without a belt guard for a while now :hide:  but I've not liked doing it. I know the GT has a lot more leg room than Chris's RJ, but it's no excuse really for not running with a belt guard..

Ian,

Love the fishnet belt guard! 

"Honey, where is my ironing board?" :rolleyes:

Thanks Don... Fishnet belt guard :text-lol:

Ahhh yeah!    :)  The classic ear muff picture.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Thanks for that...I almost choked to death on my coffee. 

A lot of thought went into the ear muff picture.. Well I had to make sure the ear muffs matched the RS cap didn't I :D

Glad you didn't choke on your coffee, I hope none of it was wasted while you were choking..

Might be time to "soak " the carb in a can of carb cleaner for a few days instead of manually cleaning it. I have a one gallon can with a basket for the carb parts, once its in the can bang the lid back on and let it sit as long as you want or till you have time to get back to it.

Mike...........

Hi Mike. I've not got any carb cleaner but I am wondering if paint thinners will do the same job as I have plenty of it?

I just love reading your posts. You are so descriptive of your trials & tribulations!

Glad you have some type of belt gaurd...Keeps the pants & leg injuries to a minumum!

Thank you Sir, my posts do vary a bit depending on how awake/tired/frame of mind at the time, but I do like to give you all something interesting (and funny at times) if I can.

May as well use that Ironing Board Ian !. It will be no good for a 'Surf Board' and trying to 'Hang Five'  :D .

Let me know the part number of that iffy High Speed Needle, I may have a good clean, used Spare.

Edit :- Forgot to ask what is the diameter of the Pulley?. I may be able to resize it for you.                                                  

It would of never of been used as a surf board Richard, trying to work out how the legs go up and down is dangerous enough as it is :D

The high speed needle number is 11-3415. I think it's a 5 on the end, it is hard to read.  It might not even be the right needle as the engine had been "played about with" before it came into my ownership.

I can't remember the pulley diameter off the top of my head, I will have a measure and let you know.

Stigian

I was thinking that too. It's the long tapered bit that gives fine control over the mix adjustment.

Guess it got damaged (often by a screw driver being used to remove the jet without first removing the needle) and then 'tidied up' by a PO.

It does look like a little bit may be missing off the end.. The taper profile is a lot steeper than any of the other needles I have so I wonder if someone has had a go at reshaping it.

This is the best photo I could manage to take today after barely a couple of hours sleep overnight..   You can't see it in the photo but the very tip of the needle has a very small hole in it.. I'm guessing this can't be good!

GT114_zps4a309c27.jpg

Hi John, the pulley is only 5mm odd bigger in diameter than the original GT's pulley.   I guess you have seen Mike's explanation of why I call it a GT-14+2 by now.

The +2 is because he has a 16hp Kohler under the hood instead of the 14hp.

Mike............

Thanks Mike.. It's a good job I didn't install a 12hp engine... A GT-14 -2 wouldn't have the same ring to it :D

How I got a stubborn pulley off a rust crank.  I used a 1/4" piece of steel about 3" x 3" and drilled a 5/8" hole in the center. second I used another  pulley to match up the 4 1/4"x20 holes.Third I then used some all thread rod and some nuts with a few washers and a bolt to mount it to the end of the crank. last I cleaned up the exposed end of the crank and bolted up my back yard puller. sprayed on some lube and Slowly I turned the nuts evenly and the pulley came off the crank.

Thanks for that Scott :handgestures-thumbup:  Part of the problem is the pulley has never been of the engine before, the other part of the problem is the electric PTO is still on the end of the crankshaft and I've not managed to get it off yet.. I still need to get the right bolt to do that job.

Stormin

That needle is definitely furbarred.

Wheel-N-It

That needle is definitely furbarred.

This is what I was thinking too. Glad you got the GT up and running properly. Thank you for the great pics Ian.

Brrly1

Ian, I kind of more less figured it out after I made the post because I have a few of the GT16's shall we say. Almost deleted but what the heck.

Stigian

Well, it would seam the mystery has been solved.. Thanks to Richards fine detective work a 14hp main needle is the same part number as the one that should be in the Magnum 16 engine.. So the funbared Main needle was the wrong one in the first place!

The new needle got the engine running smoke free but not reving... Until today when I borrowed the spark plug out of my 312-8!!

With the different spark plug the GT revs well sounds great and only bogs down slightly if I try to give her too much gas at once...

I'm sure a tweak of the needles will get the GT running very well..

Yep... I'm a happy chap :)

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 1

SousaKerry

"An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be"

Hey I resemble that remark...

Well I'm not an engineer but I work in engineering and do their work for half the pay :roll:

Stigian

Hey I resemble that remark...

Well I'm not an engineer but I work in engineering and do their work for half the pay :roll:

You should only be doing a quarter of the work then to even the balance..

A couple of video's about the latest goings on with the GT....   I'm just happy that the GT is no longer driving me nuts... Well until I try and fit a 3 point and keep the roll bar at the same time :D

wheeledhorseman

Good to see progress being made Ian and that the 14+2 has submitted to your efforts.

Whenever I get something sorted on a horse I'd swear I hear them mutter 'till the next time pal, till the next time' under their exhaust breath.

Andy

Digger 66

I decided to make a quick "Red neck" belt guard made from an ironing board!

GT109_zpsc8cb3ac5.jpg

Ok, it's not pretty but it will do the job for now..

GT110_zpsae51249b.jpg

GT111_zpse4a285a6.jpg

THAT ^ is awesome !!!!!  :bow-blue:

Wheel-N-It

Loved the video, and the jaunt around your property Ian :greetings-wavingyellow:

Stigian

Good to see progress being made Ian and that the 14+2 has submitted to your efforts.

Whenever I get something sorted on a horse I'd swear I hear them mutter 'till the next time pal, till the next time' under their exhaust breath.

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes it's nice to have the 14+2 tamed at last :D

Your right, I'm sure our horse plot what is going to break/go wrong next.. And they they work out when would be the worst time to do it :rolleyes:

THAT ^ is awesome !!!!!  :bow-blue:

Thanks Digger, glad you like it, It does have a certain charm about it :lol:

Loved the video, and the jaunt around your property Ian :greetings-wavingyellow:

Thanks Van. It's not my property but luckily my landlord doesn't seem to mind.

A bit more work has been happening on the GT..

Marks (Meadowfield) excellent shifter plate decal has been fitted. And very good it looks too. Thanks Mark :handgestures-thumbup:

20140122_140041_zps26a8d310.jpg

As I am planning on fitting a 3 point to the back of the GT a bit more space on the back will be needed.. So it's time to move the battery box from the back..

GT117_zps081472ca.jpg

To the front.. A bit of extra weight out front would be handy for keeping the wheels down as well.

GT116_zpse9f33f87.jpg

As the battery box used to live on the front of my 312-8 I had this mounting bracket I made for the box floating about the place.

GT118_zps0848e28b.jpg

As the GT's chassis is a bit wider than the 312's a bit of slicing and dicing was needed.

GT119_zps526cc141.jpg

Sorry to be continued.. I keep falling asleep at the pc!

Stigian

Sorry about that chaps, old age and stress catching up with me!

Where was I?

Oh yes..

So with the bracket thingy chopped up I had to drill a couple more bolt holes so the er  "arms?" could be bolted to the GT's chassis. as luck would have it one of the holes inside the arms was in just the right place, they just needed enlarging and drilling right through.

GT120_zpsb39fdfbf.jpg

One side bolted on..

GT121_zps3316f324.jpg

I knew the other side was going to be tight on space next to the steering arm, so out came the jack to raise the axle one side to see how much clearance there was on full tilt.

GT123_zpsce6c6c06.jpg

Even with the outer bit of box on the arm trimmed off the steering still hit the bolt head!

GT122_zps662cce72.jpg

Only one thing for it.. Extend the arms so I could use the next closest bolt holes..

GT124_zps9b737017.jpg

The cut out in one of the arms..

GT125_zps0b38391c.jpg

Is to clear the GT's gas tap.

GT126_zpsb6470822.jpg

At this point I stopped taking photo's as I was too busy getting it finished in case I had to use the GT and a trailer to get my Wife home through the floods!

Click on the picture to see it as video

th_20140206_152442_zpsc31c3159.jpg

In the end the local farmer was good enough to pick up my Wife in his big tractor as by that time the water was waist deep!

Anyway, here's the battery box fitted to the front.

GT127_zpsd6286faa.jpg

GT128_zps94633a18.jpg

You may of noticed the battery was on charge.. That's because something somewhere is draining the battery when the GT's not being used!

So my next job is to sort out this rat's nest wiring..

GT129_zpsa73b6e37.jpg