HorseWhisperer

Tiller/underseat rockshaft/bell crank/lift assist for 75 C160

HorseWhisperer

I searched the site and just can't find the answer to my question.I spotted a tiller rock shaft on an auction site and it says it's for the same c160 I have.I know the Cs with the under seat tank had a rockshaft option same as the 3,4 and 500s.Is there a similar rock shaft to a under seat tool box C series or a raider style set up? Or is it just a cable through the tube direct to a chain tail on the tiller with a heavy spring assist?If there is some kind of under seat rock shaft for An old C Series(gas tank up front)please post a pic of where/how it mounts up?

TT

Nothing before 1976 other than the cable all the way back to the hitch.

HorseWhisperer

So to make up for the grunt at the handle the pre 76 just had the spring assist.

daveoman1966

1976 and 1977 Model C-160 and C-120 require a dedicated under-seat lift arm that will NOT fit other models.  This two-leg arm is about 8" wide and a single arm lift to fit the 300 400 500 series and other model years C-160 and C-120 are only about 6" wide.  These lift arms are mutually exclusive as shown in these few pics.

There are 2 or 3 variations of the one-leg lift arm and it will fit most every model, except for 1976 -77 C-120 and C-160.  Either arm fits in the same way, between the two fuel tank supports with a chain to the tiller, and a cable threads to the lift control. 

• Like 2

TT

So to make up for the grunt at the handle the pre 76 just had the spring assist.

Yes.....  and that's also the reason why some lift levers are angled more towards the operator.  :lol: 

• Like 2

Don1977

The C-series with the rocker shaft mounts higher as the fender bracket is bolted on. Here is a picture from the rear, but you can not tell how much as the camera make it look more. My rocker shaft has been modified to miss the 2" receiver hitch.

SAM_0073.jpg

These are rough dimensions as I did not remove the fender. From the top of the transmission to the top of gear shift plate 6 1/4". Top transmission to center line of rocker shaft 7 3/16". This dimension is real rough from center line of rear axle to the center line ofthe rocker shaft is about 1". Couldn't get exact dimensions with out removing the fender.

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Yes.....  and that's also the reason why some lift levers are angled more towards the operator.  :lol:

Lol,it doesn't feet like the angled lift handle helps on the raider!That tiller is HEAVY!I have two helper springs mounted too!

HorseWhisperer

The C-series with the rocker shaft mounts higher as the fender bracket is bolted on. Here is a picture from the rear, but you can not tell how much as the camera make it look more. My rocker shaft has been modified to miss the 2" receiver hitch.

SAM_0073.jpg

These are rough dimensions as I did not remove the fender. From the top of the transmission to the top of gear shift plate 6 1/4". Top transmission to center line of rocker shaft 7 3/16". This dimension is real rough from center line of rear axle to the center line ofthe rocker shaft is about 1". Couldn't get exact dimensions with out removing the fender.

76-77 being exclusive because the seat riser was still using the old two hole mounts pre four outside bolt pattern,gotcha!So to lessen the cable burden on my 75 C160 I can acquire a seat riser post from a 3,4,5 with the four outside mounting holes and get the more popular more available lift assist rock shaft.Wow,This thread is Plain and clear now!Pre 76 the tillers were just back breaking friendly!

HorseWhisperer

1976 and 1977 Model C-160 and C-120 require a dedicated under-seat lift arm that will NOT fit other models.  This two-leg arm is about 8" wide and a single arm lift to fit the 300 400 500 series and other model years C-160 and C-120 are only about 6" wide.  These lift arms are mutually exclusive as shown in these few pics.

There are 2 or 3 variations of the one-leg lift arm and it will fit most every model, except for 1976 -77 C-120 and C-160.  Either arm fits in the same way, between the two fuel tank supports with a chain to the tiller, and a cable threads to the lift control. 

Great pics!Shows the differences and options/models very well!If ya don't know,now ya do!

TT

Lol,it doesn't feet like the angled lift handle helps on the raider!That tiller is HEAVY!I have two helper springs mounted too!

.....and the harder you pull on the lever to raise the tiller, the more angle it will have. :hide:

I've re-welded more than one or three lift levers in the last 25 years,

Some of them get tweaked so bad that the latch no longer catches the notch in the quadrant and you have to use the Dial-a-Height to hold up the implement.

HorseWhisperer

I would hate to have a lift lever come off in my hand!Thank goodness my on tractor has electric lift.My commando is being fit up with the old style electric lift as we blog!I have broke two cables with the c160 already.The under seat rock shaft retro fit has to be the answer for dropping some torque!

sorekiwi

PICT0002.jpg

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Wow,theme some reinforcements!

jachady

Wow,theme some reinforcements!

I did the same thing.  Kept bending my lift arm when I got the tiller stuck on roots.  You should see my biceps ;)

JJudy75

This is a great thread for the rear lifts. I have a c81/c141. I just bought a tiller, but was missing the rear lift(rockshaft). Am I correct to say the lever assembly is the rockshaft, or is the cable considered the rockshaft?

groundhog47

:twocents-02cents:  Thinkin' you are talkin' about 74 back, I haven't totally finished it yet, but have gotten the assembly for rock shaft and seat support and temporarily slid under tool box (back frame channel) and mounted fender on it. lot of loosening on that run of bolts to steer tower. You would have to alter that old frame portion, get rid of tool box prob, and get a front fender  support bracket. Then you wouldn't have a lift up fender pan any more, maybe could still fab that way (don't have but really like). I believe also you could fab a section for rocker shaft bushings in existing rear portion and get rid of tool box pan. I looked at that option also, but think width was a problem, any way I've not destroyed anything yet, kinda like sawing boards measure twice, cut once!   

Edited by groundhog47