tmix

Charging Superwinch

tmix

OK put a superwinch on the front to lift the plow up & down worked great last week used it for about 1 1/2 hours no prob. tonight used it for 2/12 hours with lights on battery was not charging lights were dim shut them off still ran but winch was SLOW then got slower to the point when i pushed the button it would come up 1/4 inch at a time. ANT help would be great yes it has a good battery & winch motor was not hot. When i shut off tractor i't wouldn't start battery D.O.A  Any help would be great thanks guys T MIX 

post-2778-0-22566200-1389762189.jpg

post-2778-0-54414200-1389762262.jpg

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

Measure the battery voltage directly across the battery terminals. Battery voltage should be above 13.8 (ish) volts with the tractor engine running over half throttle.

The issue is probably not associated with the winch. The charge system may not be keeping the battery charged.

Dos the winch get its power thru a relay or thru the tractor wiring ?

Ed Kennell

Nice fab job. Will the hood open far enough to fill the tank ? Is that a C - 120 ?   :eusa-think:

tmix

No it's a Raider 12 HP and yes the hood opens far to and gas & check oil there is in the center two blocks of lead painted red with a bolt thru them 65lb thats why the winch is where it's at. Got's to have the weight on them front tires if u want to turn with a plow full of snow =0

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I know that a winch takes a lot of battery to keep going.

We had to install a 2nd battery on an emergency response fire truck to keep from draining a single battery......And we had a larger than normal charging system installed from the factory.

WH nut

Your tractor is probably fine, you are just draining the battery faster than the charging system and replace the juice

smoreau

I would recommend a larger  reserve battery and use a float charger when the tractor is not in use. also keep the rpm up as that is when it puts out the most amps in the charging system.

can whlvr

when I had a 1500 lb winch on my 308,i had an auxiliary battery mounted on a special box that fit in my 2 inch receiver,the little battery couldn't keep up and its very hard on the charging system