Kelly

Identifying big block Kohler block styles

Charles123

Thank you much sir Never owned a  koler before and was curious

George Lengle

Hay Guys, anybody have a piston for a 16 hp. Kohler? Stander size. Call me 7179339651 thanks George.

953 nut
1 hour ago, George Lengle said:

Hay Guys, anybody have a piston for a 16 hp. Kohler? Stander size. Call me 7179339651 thanks George.

Have you looked on :techie-ebay:?     https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=kohler+341+piston&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_odkw=kohler+361+piston&LH_TitleDesc=0

oldredrider

I've got one.  Complete Kohler with rings, pin and clips. Send me a PM if interested. 

Rob R

Great input regarding Kohler 321 engine pans. I am currently doing a ring, piston, hone rebuild on a 321 off a Ford LGT 145 on this machine they actually welded the rails to the bottom pan (see pics). My intention here is to put this puppy in a red machine (312-8). From your information I definitely have the small pan with the expanded bottom for the long dipper.

Here's my questions:

> Can I carefully remove the rails from the pan, cutoff the old front axle mounting bracket(s) and then drill holes in  the flanges to mount  to the Wheel Horse rails.

> Since the engine is side mounted will the expanded bottom fit between the standard Wheel Horse rails?

> If not possible to make this old pan work what flat pan would work and do I need to get the expanded bottom one (big dipper}

> any recommendations here would be appreciated don't want to go down to many blind holes here...….

Thanks much!

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

stevewilli

Hi Kelly, Thanks much for your 2014 comprehensive explanation of Kohler oil pan compatibility. Great job. I hate to bother you with this situation but you seem to know more about this topic than anybody. I am restoring a unique 1975 cushman golf cart that originally had an 8hp Kohler. I bought the cart without a motor. I recently bought a model M12s  Kohler Magnum 12 HP motor to put into it. The block is stamped with K301. From what I learned in your post, this is a large block motor and has a pan with ears.. Overall, the dimensions of the motor should fit into the cart. I would like to use the original Cushman mounting holes because there are rubber motor mounts that I would like to continue to use without having to fabricate an entire motor mount assembly. 

I'm hoping you can tell me if a pan exists that will have the mount hole dimensions that will fit my motor and the Cushman original mount locations. The dimensions of the Cushman mount holes are 4 15/16 " (measured from flywheel side to PTO side) The holes from the starter side to the carb side measure 7 13/16".  I learned from your post that I might even be able to use a small block pan if I tap a couple of holes. Any advice you can offer is appreciated. There is a great garden tractor junk yard near me in Lapeer MI that might even have a motor with the correct pan, I just need to know where to start looking.  --------------------Thanks,   Steve

Mudrig150

Made this nifty little chart showing the differences between the 2 styles of wide base blocks.337090900_Blockstyles.jpg.bc3c428726107e09ff289799a7bd2810.jpg

• Like 2

montclair
On 1/7/2016 at 4:28 PM, redone said:

Hi Kelly

Thanks for this education on kohler blocks. Now I know what I have to replace. I have a blowen 16 hp kohler off of a 160 Hydro. cam gear went through the side of block. now I have to take another look for large or small block.

on the other hand, i will need to replace this block, and rebuild new. any ideas of were i can find a good block to be rebuilt. or find one already built.....

thank you for sharing.

Bill

Iowa

im sure u can find many 16hp blocks here i have one that is getting a valve job cylinder is still std it is the wide base type that i will sell it has the cam lifters and valves in it  im willing to sell it  at a decent price as a std block are u interested in it?

barns1

Hey Kelly, Just wanted to let you know your fine explanation just came in handy for a project I'm working on.