pacer

First mistake I ever made ---- hah!

pacer

Im doing a pretty major rebuild on a C120 which included a "upper end" rebuild of the K241. Been sitting looong time and valves/rings were stuck but engine was in really good condition with standard specs showing almost no wear. So I didnt remove the crank, just new piston/rings and rod with a valve cleanup/dressing. I did remove the flywheel & windings to get dirtdaubers and rust out. Well, I reassembe and everythings going along smoothly, pretty much... I had an odd clattery (is that a word?) sound rotating it through -- oh well, I'll fire it off and itll go away. It fired right up and ran soooo smooth, but on shut down this clattery? sound was definitely getting worse. OK, I'd better go back in and see whats going on. Taking the tin off around the flywheel and moving the flywheel occasionally I'm thinking - hey, that noise seems to be coming from near the flywheel.

Well ... the flywheel falls into my hands and guess what is stuck to a magnet? a small screw! I think, "did I let a screw get stuck there?" I dont even recognize it --- It was one of the 4 that hold the coil plate on! and whoa! the other 3 are loose! Somebody didnt tighten them up on install, now who could've done that??

At least I was by myself and nobody saw my very red face...Like I said, first mistake I ever made.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

No "clattery" sound now, and surprisingly no damage to anything - sneaked by on that one

Edited by pacer

wheelhorse66

O well at leased nothings damaged,that could have been bad

chazm

Bin there ,Done that....  :eusa-doh:   Good thing is NO harm ..NO file   :greetings-clappingyellow: 

Chasm     :flags-waveusa:  

Lane Ranger

I made a lot of those first mistakes which is why my brother does the motors now!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sounds like someone was lookin' out for you that day.   :)

Rick_in_CT

Isn't that why they put magnets in the flywheel, to catch the loose parts?  During your next service you scoop them up and put them in a jar for your next rebuild project.

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:   The Lord was looking out for you. Any time someone asks " how did you know that!" I just tell them I have learned by my mistakes, and I know a lot!  :ROTF:   :text-lol: 

TT

Wait 'til you pull a flywheel and find all of the magnets stuck to the stator.  :disgust: 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Glad you found the problem and nothing was damaged!

smoreau

Wait 'til you pull a flywheel and find all of the magnets stuck to the stator.  :disgust: 

Or the engine locked up from the magnets coming apart and trashing the stator. happened to my 417A a few years ago.

Edited by smoreau
  • Like 1

groundhog47

Bill, persistence paid off again, so glad it wasn't internal, good work :handgestures-thumbup: