Lane Ranger

Generator Light on After Tractor Shut Off

Lane Ranger

My brother David and I spoke this am about the 1054 tractors performance in the snow in Northwest Indiana.  He has two set up with 54 inch plows and chains.  He indicated they have been working great but this am an issue cropped up with the Red Generator light staying on after he shuts off the tractor.    We discussed but I don't recall experiencing this problem before.    Is it possible that the light connection could have moisture in it that is keeping the power on in the wiring to the light?   Or is the generator staying "on" with moisture buildup in some way.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciatd.  He has the 1054 in the garage and is warming it up but light is still on.  

Lane Ranger

I read somewhere on another tractor site that the generator can create "brush dust"  residue from the generator brushes that can create this problem!  Who would have thought!  I just never encountered it before.   Removing generator for inspection can determine for sure.

TT

Sound like contacts in the voltage regulator could be stuck / burnt closed.  :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

Lane, one wire of the gen light should be connected to ignition switch (same terminal as the ignition coil). The gen light should be connected to the battery only when the ignition switch is in the run posiition. The starter gen acts as a ground for the other half of the gen light wire. When 12 volts is on one gen light wire and the gen is not producing any voltage (not running), the gen acts as ground to the gen light wiring and the bulb lights up.

When the gen starts producing charge voltage, both wires to the gen light now have 12 + volts on them (one wire from the gen A terminal and the other from the battery) so the light no longer has 12 volts across the bulb - so no gen light comes on.

I'm not sure if you are saying the gen light stays on with the ignition switch in the off position. If the light is on with the ignition switch off, check the wiring of the gen light or check for the ignition switch powering on the light and coil when it is in the off posiiton. In that case you may have a bad ignition switch,

Edited by Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron

in pictures, the scenario is as below

when the SG is not running of producing low or no output, there is a voltage difference across the lamp (0 volts at the A terminal of the SG and 12 volts at the battery) so the filament of the lamp glows

sgchargelighton_zps6f3960fb.gif

When the SG is generating proper voltage, the A terminal of the SG puts 12+ volts to the one lamp wire and the battery supplies 12+ volts to the other lamp wire. Since both lamp wires have equal voltage applied, no current flows thru the lamp and the lamp filament does not glow.

sgchargelightoff_zps29e3da44.gif

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Thanks TT and SOI.   We will do  some further investigating based on your thoughts and comments.   The 1054 has an ON/Off flip switch and a push button starter switch.   We have had the old regulator boxes "stick" sometimes in the past also!

Edited by Lane Ranger