jjs

flywheel removal c161 kohler 341as

jjs

good evening.  Having some difficulty removing my flywheel and I am using a wheel puller.  It appears there was red loctite used in the keyway, will ox Acetylene  torch damage it?  Thanks

rmaynard

I don't know why anyone would have used Loctite on the keyway. Before using heat, I would use the tried and true method of flywheel removal. Using the proper type of puller that screws into the threaded holes in the flywheel, tighten it up until you can't tighten it any more, then bang the end of the puller with a hammer. Chances are the flywheel will pop right off.

Oh, by the way, :WRS:

Edited by rmaynard

pacer

It is hard to figure why loctite would be used on a key --- but... stranger things have happened! To answer your question, yes heat is the recommended method for loosening loctite, it doesnt take a lot.

Maynards method of removal is indeed the best way to get it to turn loose. I suppose you could have some heat on the shaft while you have the puller attached and giving the sharp 'raps' They can be pretty darn stubborn in some instances, but most time this method works.

chazm

WELCOME TO  :rs:

Like Bob said ... use the correct puller and a BFH. :handgestures-thumbupright:     I would use heat if the BFH fails to get it off.  :bitch:

Chasm  :flags-waveusa:

jjs

thank you!  Could not find the proper (plate type) puller, so i tried to make one.  When I tried to find the proper size flywheel bolts, struck out. Too small, too big. Upon further inspection, looks like the flywheel bolt hole threads have been.....well lets say, damaged.  Can I do a helicoil repair to cast iron, I believe the flywheel is cast iron. Or maybe I can braze carbon steel nuts to the wheel

pacer

The puller I use is called a steering wheel/harmonic balancer/flywheel puller - heres one on ebay, but you should be able to find one in a auto parts store. Its a tool handy to have in the shop for a lot of things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2in1-Professional-Harmonic-Balance-Puller-Set-Tools-Steering-Wheel-Crankshaft-/291055120749?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item43c43cb16d&vxp=mtr

The flywheel has 4 threaded holes and surely all 4 arent buggered, even if they are get a tap and run in them and clean em up. Welding cast iron for a novice is difficult - heh, its difficult any how. They are 3/8-16 coarse threads, one of the most common threads.

gregg'shorses

Better to stand to the side when giving a little persuasion with the hammer, as sometimes they come off with quite a kick. And maybe on the floor so it doesn't  crack if it drops of the work bench.

Fordiesel69

4 holes, you will find two of the 4 are still usable.  Tap them clean, thread the bolts in a far as they will go, and heat the flywheel, not the crankshaft. 

TT

Not every flywheel has four holes. Drilling and tapping the stripped holes to the next larger size would be the best solution if they are the only choice.

Here's a little post I made quite a while ago:

Here's a picture of one of my flywheel removal tools:

puller001.jpg

jjs

Gents,

thanks for the help, I built a puller, the center stud sheared off under considerable torsion, I had some 4 letter words for it as my wife happened to visit in the garage, 10 seconds later, pop, it came off by itself!  Good over evil  :)