Sign in to follow this  
bell

Another one followed me home...

bell

Well, I scored at the WRVAA show in Elnora...

I found this little guy....

COMMANDO_001.jpg

A 1968 Commando 6 in pretty decent condition... It has a newer Techumseh on it. How do you tell what size/ model they are? I cannot find a number anywhere.

I was originally interested in this...

COMMANDO_003.jpg

But he wouldn't sell it without the Commando... So I bought it. It also came with the deck in the picture... a 32"er.

Here's some more pics...

COMMANDO_002.jpg

COMMANDO_007.jpg

COMMANDO_006.jpg

I almost bought a set of tire chains off of a guy for $20, but I passed...

When I got it home, I lifted the seat and found these... :thumbs:

COMMANDO_005.jpg

COMMANDO_004.jpg

It has good compression AND spark... It looks like it just needs some new fuel line and it will be ready to run...

I checked the oil (it was full) and sprayed a little carb cleaner in the carburetor... Gave her a yank and it fired!

Sunday I will tinker around with it and see if I can get it running...

Here's me right now... :banghead::USA::lol::lol: :omg:

CasualObserver

What a shame... everybody.... he HAD to buy the tractor to get the blade.... :banghead::USA: Of course you had to get the tractor... that's where the hitch for the blade was!!

Very Nice... !! :omg: The Commando has always been my favorite. I have a Commando 8. I've got an extra stirrup footrest if you need it. Pics look like the right one is broken? Good find on the chains!... never know what you'll get when you open up that rear fender on an old horse! :banana:

bell

What a shame... everybody.... he HAD to buy the tractor to get the blade.... :banghead::USA: Of course you had to get the tractor... that's where the hitch for the blade was!!

Very Nice... !! :omg: The Commando has always been my favorite. I have a Commando 8. I've got an extra stirrup footrest if you need it. Pics look like the right one is broken?

LOL.... That's what I told the wife... lol

I told her I bought a snow plow so I could clear out the driveway where she parks... and then I told her it came with a free tractor... lol

Message sent on the stirrup!

bambooheels

nice find, gotta love the chains, 20$ bonus!! the sticker on engine should give you some info, looks newer. any codes on there?

BPjunk

Looks like a neat find ..... don't cha' jus' love it when ya' find a suprize under the seat ..... that does not try to bite you when you lift the seat up! :banghead:

It always amazes me just how much work the little 6 hp Tecumseh can do. Look on top of the fan shroud to find the numbers, they will be real small.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Drydock

If you can't find the numbers: its either an H60, or an HH60. The double H has an Iron cylinder block, the single H aluminum. Throw a magnet at it, if it sticks, you know what you got. If it don't, you know what you got.

The HH is preferred, its more rugged, but the H can be worked with, they're very simple engines, usualy with infinatly adjustable Tillotsen carbs. Which someone has always messed with. And got wrong. And then blame the engine. Get a good Tec Carb book, and set it up by the book.

I've got a 66 Lawn Ranger with an H60. Its getting rebuilt, while the Ranger soldiers on with a new Tec HM-80 turning and burning under the hood for now.

AHHH!, now that my dial up has finaly loaded, everything you need to know is on the sticker at the front of the blower cover.

bell

Well, it runs!!!! And, it runs WELL!

It took about 4 hours to remove the carburetor... (there is a adapter from the factory, between the carburetor and the block...) It appears that the P.O. couldn't get the carb off... and rounded the phillips slots in the screws... :banghead:

I cleaned the carb and inspected everything... This was the GUMMIEST carburetor I've EVER seen... Looked like it had melted gummy worms inside it....

I changed the oil, screwed in a new spark plug and it fired on the second pull!

It runs GREAT! This thing has a lot of power for a 6hp...

There is a slight problem with the throttle linkage/ governor.... it is VERY touchy... I have to figure out what the problem is.... Any ideas?

I also mounted the plow/ blade and leveled out the driveway a bit... No pics though...

I'll put it to work in a couple days and take some pics... JB

rustbucket

my comando 6 is repowered with the HH-60 and well mine needs a full frame strip down and rebuild to ever be a working machine againe.

Kelly

I've got a Tec, you can work on, finally got it running but not good.