roscoemi

Old Ford 4000?

RMCIII

Came out looking really nice... Yep, them old Fords are hard to kill... I think my Grandad and dad would testify to that... They started me off on a Ford 9N with a loader on the front, and get this, NO POWER STEERING!! :confusion-scratchheadblue:  Was only 5 yrs. old... My job, in the fall, was to take the 9N out into the field and collect all the full ears of corn the 856 Combine was leaving behind... In those days combines were not very efficent when it came to how well they cleaned all the ears... It was a fault on all models back then, and it happened, when the drum was not full of corn. So each time the combiune would turn around and head the other way, the drum would start to run low and would start spitting out full ears of corn... Anyway, my job was to run up and down the end rows and collect all the ears of corn that were left.... It was bad enough that the tractor had a FEL and no power steering, but try turning that thing when the bucket has a full load, and you are only 5 yrs. old... I remeber dad saying, you have to start somewhere, and if you want to drive the big tractors first you start on the little one..... I had to drive it standing up becasue I was to short to sit in the seat, reach the clutch and the bucket levers. Good thing it had some big Feet rests...  Collected enough corn to fill a 250 bushel J&M gravity wagon... Money then went for our school clothes that fall... That ain't no HAY! Fun times. :woohoo:

Edited by RMCIII