roscoemi

Old Ford 4000?

roscoemi

I spent yesterday in single digit temps and wind to dig this old guy out of the snow. My boss got it from his girlfriends mother for scrap price, I'll probably get stuck getting it going again. Not sure if I should be :happy-jumpeveryone:  or  :banghead: ? Not much info on it other than it was parked and the battery removed, then the husband passed on and it has not been run in a couple years. The plug wires look new and the right rear tire is new, somebody did use it and put some money into it. The serial number on the engine is on a horizontal surface facing up and rusted. There are faint shapes in the corrosion so maybe some black paint and a sanding block will make them stand out better once I can get it into the shop.

post-6649-0-15930900-1388862659_thumb.jp

post-6649-0-19808300-1388862688_thumb.jp

post-6649-0-03889800-1388862714_thumb.jp

post-6649-0-28446700-1388862746_thumb.jp

The shifter rotates about 90 degrees, with three detents. Forward, neutral and reverse?

post-6649-0-21577500-1388862861_thumb.jp

Numbers cast into the left front of the block at the bottom. There is a f inside a c then 3d4. Just to the right is a 2.

post-6649-0-08413900-1388863061_thumb.jp

Casting on the right side of the block.

post-6649-0-20313200-1388863122_thumb.jp

Any help identifying this old guy would be very much appreciated.

• Like 1

Sparky

Cant help you with ID'ing it but I do know its one lucky tractor. It always sucks when you hear about the old iron going to the scrap yard. Good luck getting her going!

Mike..........

AMC RULES

Neat ol' tractor...   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

what was the scrap price of a tractor like that? 

dodgemike

Those shifters are different. At

Each detent it moves up and down

Giving you three speeds. That

Could be a Continental Red Seal.

I thought Ford built all their own

Motors but... You could tarp it

And build a fire under the pan

With charcoal. An old timer showed

Me a trick of unhooking the generator and stick a 12v battery

In it. That will get her turning over!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

TT

The casting number on the block denotes a 134 cu in engine - which I'm guessing means that it's a 2000. (The 4000 should have the 172 cu in engine)

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/identify.htm 

The shift pattern is odd, but you have to imagine a modified 5 speed pattern turned sideways to understand.

The tractor is up / middle / down ~ twist left / twist right

LT RT
Up -  R   3
Mdl - 1   2
Dn -  5   4

The shifter is in the up position while in neutral - which is perfect on loader tractors because that's 3rd & reverse.

To get 1st & 2nd, you push halfway down and swing left or right

4th & 5th are "at the bottom" and then left or right.

shorts

It doesn't look like a Continental Red Seal from here, they usually had the distributor sticking out of the head or a magneto on the front timing gear drive, Ford built some excellent industrial engines, some that were adapted to automotive use and they excelled in that arena too. If you can raise the serial numbers from the engine that should help identify it. Tractor Supply should have tune up parts and possibly some specs for it. Yesteryear tractor forum will probably have tons of info and resources

and TT has the info while I was trying to be helpful

Edited by shorts

roscoemi

Craig, he'll probably end up into it for a few hundred. When spring comes I have to go back and get the bush hog, disc and 2 bottom plow! Was not going to plow another 75 yards in knee deep snow back to where they were in yesterdays conditions, froze my... :angry-nono:  :violence-blades:

Dodgemike, the shifter will move vertically at the center detent? Odd but cool. I'll get it inside this week and put the torpedo heater to work, 150,000 btu should do something for it's frostbite! :grin:  I'd like to know the trick with the 12v. :techie-eureka:

Terry, which casting number are you referring to? I've seen 4000's to be listed with either 134 or 174 cube engines. I tried the link but got the dreaded 411 error! :banghead:  The shift pattern is odd, but it's a Ford. :teasing-tease:

Shorts you have to be quick on the draw to beat TT to solid info! I have no doubt that this guy will run again for a good long time. As fork truck mechanics we have access to lot's of industrial parts sources, and it looks like there are lot's available.

From what we could dig up, it should be a '62 or '63 4000 series utility with the factory red paint, faded to a nice patina. Most were blue and grey, but there were some red. It has a metal tag riveted on the right front with 05-0249 stamped in it, an inventory tag from the original owner? :eusa-think:  Any info or leads to(dare I say it) other forums would be helpful. Thanks for the help guys! :thanks:

TT

I think the link in my first post will work now.

I'm definitely not brilliant when it comes to these, but I have spent some time around a few models.

When I was younger, my pap had an 861 Powermaster. My uncle has several 800/900 series tractors - including two diesels.

Those tractors are all straight 5 speeds, so that's why I posted the info for that pattern. That doesn't mean the one you're working with is too.

Two years ago I spent a lot of time with a 9N and did a lot of studying. It was winter - and actually quite interesting - so I read a lot. :eusa-whistle:

9NChip001.jpg

9N1-20-12001.jpg

We have a '74 3000 Diesel and a '93 3930 at work.

061210work020.jpg

moreCHCC005.jpg

• Like 1

roscoemi

I checked the site, was there last night also, and believe you are correct with the 134 cube engine. There is only one trans code listed for both hydro and pto and it would be a 4 speed. I'll see as work starts on it.

As a side note, I joined another forum to get more info on this unit. After 45 min I thank every person running this place to make it what it is! :thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:  Ya'll are the best!! I've never had a more frustrating time than being over there, and will never go back. :banghead:

dodgemike

My Dad had a 54 Golden Jubilee.

I think in 1965 he traded it for a

Brand new 2000. He was a small

Contractor and plowed snow with

It. He had blades front and rear.

He could plow coming and going.

He had a half cab on it, open top

And back. But the canvas went

Down the sides of the motor and

Instant hillbilly heat:rolleyes:

The trans was a 4 spd. With 3 spd.

Auxillary. Low , std and OD. The

Only othher guys plowing were

Jeeps with straight blades. In our

Little town Dad plowed all the

Schools, bus garage etc. He ran

About 1000lbs. Of calcium in each

Tire plus chains. It was not a big

Tractor but almost unstoppable.

shorts

Roscoe:  I also spent some years chasing clark and cat forklifts, mostly the large cat forklifts and then got into standby power and then engine testing and development, now I just try to help mentor the construction company across the streets 3rd generation stay on a positive mechanical learning curve as he transitions from basic mechanics to shop management and company ownership, at grandpa's request. It sure is good to see some of the young generation jump in the deep end and come up with an I can do this attitude, anyhow enough about me,

Check out the charging system on the tractor, if it is 6 V you can get a * V battery and adjust the voltage regulator to keep the battery charged, Higher voltage will spin the starter faster and give you a hotter spark for easier starting. For trouble shooting and initial starting you can temporarly jump the starter with 12V. or for a permanent fix for a worker convert it to a 12v system, 12v battery, 12v alternator,(I'm partial to the self regulating 1 wire Delco setup) and a 12v ignition coil with an internal regulator or a ballast resistor for the 6V coil, another cure for the ignition would be to change it to electronic with something like a Pertronics distributor kit

roscoemi

Shorts, I HATE Clark fork trucks. Their engineering is :angry-cussingblack:  :angry-steamingears: Lol!  I've mentored a couple young bucks over the years, it's a sight to see when they get the AHAA! moment that brings everything into focus and then take off running!

I'll disconnect the generator and crank it on 12v to get it started and see what we have. If everything is good it will get converted as it will be a worker. The self exciting 1 wire alternator and 12v coil is probably the way we will go with points. I do know that the scrap man will not see this one in his lifetime if we can help it. :banana-tux:

roscoemi

We got the tractor into the shop where we rent some space. The owner of the building used his plow truck to drag it into his personal shop at the other end and into his spray booth where "there's some good light and I'll bake it for a couple hours at 100 degrees to thaw it out." Hot diggity! :happy-jumpeveryone:  We got about 8" last night, was about 0 out and we were in a blizzard with minimal visibility. After a couple hours with me in his Kabota with a 7' blower and him in his truck we got it in. Got the glass fuel filter cleaned up, the old o ring had melted into the bowl in a sticky mess, and put some fresh gas into the empty tank only to find the starter locked. I took that to the local rebuilder whose son looked at me cross eyed when he saw the old lump. The ol man came out and when it fell to pieces when he started taking it apart, he went to another room and brought in a fresh one! This is an old school wood floor and junk everywhere on shelves, been open for 150 years kinda place. He had a brand new bendix to put on also, located on the far shelf with my flash light, and knew the part number from memory. I'll get that on in the few days. I was able to put a pry bar to the flywheel and found the motor is not locked. I'll update this as I go.

woodchuckfarmer

We had one at work that looked just like it. It was a 1964....good luck with it.....Wayne

shorts

I never said that I liked Clark forklifts, only that they paid the rent. and yes it is good to se the young bucks see the light and take off. 

Sounds like a typical 6V old technology starter saga, also sounds like you have an auto electric shop like doesn't exist anymore, they should be able to set you up with the 12V conversion. looks like a good project, with a little luck the engine will start and run good with out having to play with rusty valves.

roscoemi

I put the starter on yesterday and got 2 ten second cranks out of it before the separate solenoid gave up the ghost. Put a new solenoid on today and got nothing. A hot wire to the coil, and another to the starter fired it up in 3 seconds! It ran quiet and smooth on full choke, so tomorrow it will get a one wire altenator  and some minimal wiring for start and run circuits to bypass everything else, and a fuel system cleaning.

• Like 1

dodgemike

Hot diggity! You can' kill those old

Fords. The same old timer who

Told me about the 12v trick said

You would go a long time before

Replacing that 6v starter. He has

Forgotten more thanI will ever know about auto electrics.

Desko

Love the old fords especially the 3000's we have one that's a 1969 my grandpa bought it brand new.

Wheel-N-It

I love the old Fords too. I had an 8N for a long time but moved up to a diesel Mahindra 4025. I'd love to get a 851 Ford diesel some day.

Congragulations on your new tractor.

roscoemi

I got the starter and ignition circuits wired today, in the process finding that the parts guy gave me a self grounding automotive solenoid instead of the industrial version. Pulled the adjusters on the carb and shot carb clean in the holes and cranked it up. The old guy starts RIGHT NOW! Lol I took it out to play in the snow and found that the idle circuit works fine, but the main jet is not doing it's thing. Will pull the carb and give it a good cleaning tomm.

• Like 2

roscoemi

Got the carb off, cleaned and put a kit in it. The only thing usable from the kit was the float needle and seat and the measuring cardboard for the float height, the rest of the parts  were for a carb 50% bigger and different configuration. :confusion-scratchheadblue: After removing the dead maggots and weed refuse from the updraft carb, the starter refused to engage properly. The rebuilder replaced the bendix with the correct one :techie-eureka:  and it cranked up and took throttle like it should. After snatching a 3 point blade from the buildings owner, the boss drove 3 blocks home to plow the 12" of snow we got last night. The old dude runs like a champ, just needs some chains for moving the snow with an ice base. Next up will be replacing and rewiring gauges, but it's another save from the dreaded scrapper. :happy-jumpeveryone:

shorts

cool save, you just can't help loving the simplicity of old school iron

roscoemi

The old guy got rear chains with the boxes between the cross overs and some tri ribs today. Chains were $250 ea at Tractor Supply, but the boss bs'ed somebody into selling them for $110 ea. :confusion-confused: The power steering pump needs rebuilding, but may never happen as it steers pretty easy with the tri ribs. The rear tire should be in next week and put on, then the rears will be loaded making it into a snow moving machine.

roscoemi

The old guy got stripped down to his birthday suit today to get ready for paint. Most of the sheet metal got blasted today, the rest tomorrow followed by a coat of epoxy primer. The rest of the tractor will get rolled into the blast booth and blasted also. Nothing beats getting paid to restore a tractor! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

TT

Hopefully you'll be able to read the ID numbers after the blasting. :thumbs2: