roscoemi

Old Ford 4000?

AMC RULES

The old guy got stripped down to his birthday suit today to get ready for paint. Most of the sheet metal got blasted today, the rest tomorrow followed by a coat of epoxy primer. The rest of the tractor will get rolled into the blast booth and blasted also. Nothing beats getting paid to restore a tractor! :greetings-clappingyellow:

:wwp:    :handgestures-thumbsup:

Bluffhunter

These pictures are of the 1958 841 Ford Powermaster I rebuilt through the Winter 2 years ago. I bought it from the original owner. post-10144-0-54719400-1390323815.jpgpost-10144-0-57111300-1390323829.jpgpost-10144-0-50532100-1390323879_thumb.j The blue looks lighter in color, than it really is, because the sun is reflecting off the chat, I guess.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Very nice restoration. 

• Like 1

roscoemi

Nice job. Looks like the same as the one I'm working on except sheet metal and front bumper, no power steering and a different trans. This one is painted orange, has an id tag riveted to the right fender and a tubing seat frame. Gut feeling is that it was born as a MDOT tractor for the state, but will probably never know as the po has passed.

Craig, I'll get some pics tomorrow. But not close enough to show a couple runs in the primer from the rookie spray jockey! :)  I may also get a few of the building's owners toys.

• Like 2

roscoemi

Here's a couple pics from yesterday, the only things left to remove is the gas tank and stands. They came off today and into the blast booth it went. I got it about half done when the sand turned to talcum powder. :banghead:  I'll get some more in the morning and may get it all done tomorrow and get some pics of a Ford in bare metal, the sand gives it a dull silver look.

post-6649-0-65994700-1390515064_thumb.jp

post-6649-0-36273600-1390515095_thumb.jp

post-6649-0-72168100-1390515123_thumb.jp

Now for the toys

A 1969 Caddy drop top with a worked 472, in the process of getting a new white top

post-6649-0-02740400-1390515261_thumb.jp

A 1964 Merc with air and a big block with 3 deuces that was a Long Haul member for the 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour

post-6649-0-52762200-1390515349_thumb.jp

A 1968 Road Runner with etched quarter glass

post-6649-0-13041700-1390515467_thumb.jp

Mid seventies Nova with circle track suspension, 600+ hp 400, 4-speed and quick change rear.

post-6649-0-86974100-1390515541_thumb.jp

Bare block is a 383 for the road runner, the red one is a dirt track motor with aluminum Pontiac NASCAR heads and other dirt motors.

post-6649-0-09038900-1390515661_thumb.jp

It's a pretty cool place to hang out and restore a tractor I guess! :banana-tux:

• Like 2

roscoemi

I forgot, not pictured is a 1979 Camaro ready for paint and a 1967 Buick GS with a factory 4 speed ( 2000 built) waiting for it's turn to be reborn.

• Like 1

roscoemi

The old guy has a new set of dud's in red and grey, I'll get some pics up in a day or so.

AMC RULES

How is it fair, you get to work on tractors at work?   :ychain: 

roscoemi

I dunno Craig, just lucky I guess! :greetings-clappingyellow:

roscoemi

Have some new pics but I can't upload them, the net is slow as molasis in Jan here. Will try again later.

roscoemi

Never been a good speller Craig! Anyway here he is. I just need to order the new gauges to assemble the dash, assemble the throttle assembly and fab a battery box. When it gets warm the front bumper will get a make over. The Kubota in the background burned up it's pto clutch in about 50 hrs due to lack of hyd pressure from the factory, may have to split that one and fix it due to Kubota's attitude.

post-6649-0-15093400-1391377191_thumb.jp

post-6649-0-05971700-1391377213_thumb.jp

• Like 2

shorts

Looks good

roscoemi

Just ordered the gauges for it, so it should be back on snow duty in a week or two.

SousaKerry

Nice thread wish I would have found it sooner. I grew up with my hands and butt firmly attached to a pair of 960's and an NAA. Dad runs 12v batteries all the time in them with nothing converted they hold up just fine just don't charge. Another option is they make a 9 volt battery hard to find but they will charge on a 6v system just fine.

Old guy looks great in original grey and red. Blue was good but I prefer the red.

Edited by SousaKerry

Bluffhunter

Looks GREAT !!!!   Bet those new chains set you back a couple of bucks !  Wish I had chains for mine !

roscoemi

I tried talking the boss into crème and red, those are sharp. The generator was questionable so we put a one wire alt on it. The gauges needed replacing anyway so it will get 12v versions and led lights front and rear.

The chains were on sale at TSC, a return I believe, and the boss talked some poor guy into around $110 a piece. I can't remember the exact number, it's in the first page of this thread.

The new gauges should be here by weeks end.

I ended up splitting the bigger Kubota today to find the part that transfers power from the engine to the clutch basket for the rear pto slid back on the drive side, disengaging clutch discs as it went until it was flopping around on the shaft behind the splines transferring nothing. There is no obvious way to retain this part in the clutch basket, maybe a spacer on the drive shaft? :confusion-scratchheadblue:

Hey Craig, I'm getting paid to work on tractors! :ychain:  LOL :grin:

Desko

Well what is the status update on this old girl haven't heard from you in a while.

roscoemi

Got the gauges in and wired, even the gas tank sending unit still worked. Put a new seat and rear tire on, so the only thing left hanging is the power steering pump. It doesn't really need it with the tri ribs, but will go back on with a rebuild. The only hang up is I need a drive pulley for the pump. They have an odd bore diameter, 17mm I think, and I can't find one. The guy we are leasing space from has it buried behind his projects at the shop(see post #30 for a partial list), he's selling everything in an auction and moving to Florida soon so he's scrambling. I'll post some pics when I can get it back out in daylight, hopefully in a week or so.

roscoemi

We got the old girl out of the shop for a little exercise, seemed to run well. The fuel sending unit will have to be replaced, an air filter fabricated and the goofy square lights replaced. Other than that it's done.

post-6649-0-05882600-1396488097.jpg

post-6649-0-91474700-1396488108.jpg

post-6649-0-60419800-1396488121.jpg

• Like 3

Desko

Looks really good like new.

Terry M

Just saw this Roscoemi.....Nice looking tractor :handgestures-thumbupright: .    I have my Dads old 1953 ford jubilee(model NAA)  .   its been in storage for a couple years and I was planning on getting it going again this spring.  I have a box of parts(guages, decals, and other misc. stuff) for restoration.  but I dought I'll ever get around to it. Its complete and pretty straight..and ran well too.  but its been sitting a few years and probably needs some of the same attention you gave yours.

we'll see......if this minnesota winter ever decides to end ,maybe I will get this old ford going again.  if I do, i'll post some pics...

Jake Kuhn

Turned out great!

Bluffhunter

Turned out great Roscoemi !!! I need to get a rear facing light like you have on your fender, on mine ! That would be very handy !

Have fun with her !!!

roscoemi

Thanks for the comments guys! Terry, I really doubt that you can kill these old Fords. This one sat outside and forgotten for a few years, and was run without an air cleaner for who knows how long. I put fresh gas in it and a battery and it fired right up, and runs like a sewing machine after cleaning the carb. A cool thing is that you can go to Tractor Supply and they have parts on the shelf for these, from tune up and cab kits to steering wheels! :grin:  They had that suspension seat for $80, may have to put one on my C-121. :eusa-think:

• Like 1