Sign in to follow this  
Duff

There's 90-weight "earl" on my floor....

Duff

Well, folks, I know what this winter's project is going to be: now it's my turn to learn the ins and outs of WH gear trannies. I was washing the machine after mowing a couple nights ago and found a fair amount of gear oil on the bottom of the axle housings and tranny case. Probable diagnosis: axle seals let go! :lol:

I'm only passable with a wrench but I take directions and advice well, and fortunately have a decent camera. Which brings me to my first of what will probably be many questions, or more appropriately, pleas! :thumbs:

Even before I found any leaks I thought I'd done a great stroke of business finding a transmission repair manual on fleabay....until I got it and realized it only covers tractors built before 1982 (mine's an '89 maroon stripe). :imstupid: Lotta similarities, but I fear there are some real differences. Of course, the fact that it was a third generation copy machine offspring with lousy pictures only further complicates the matter. :banghead:

So where can I find a more current version? Toro says its a PN A-1392 but NLA. If it's available for download on-line I couldn't find it. Can anyone help this poor rookie out?

Thanks to all! :omg:

Duff :USA:

kj4kicks

Hi Duff, The WH manuals group on yahoo probably has what you need, but I don't have their addy in front of me.

Sometimes seals do go bad on their own, but more often than not, it's because the bearing behind it is going bad, and allowing for more movement. Jack it up under the center of the rear, and see if you can move the axles up and down. If so, you have bearing issues, and will need to split the case. If not, you can replace the seals by just removing the hubs.

Wish I had better news for you.....

Sparky

What Eldon said is what happened to me. The axle seals were leaking and after I picked em out I found the axle bearings were shot.

Mike..........

tookies

I just went through this with a GT-14. Its your bearings (outer). You need to split the case, tap em out and put new oil seals in. Not as bad as it seems. Putting it back together is easier than tearing it down. You can do it.

Duff

Thanks, guys! :USA:

I'm waiting for my Yahoo membership to clear then I'll search for the manual.

I'm not surprised that it could be an axle bearing issue. I did notice when I was restoring the beast there was a fair amount of lateral (in and out) play in the axles although I didn't detect any up and down while I had it up on jack stands. Must be something else loose inside? :thumbs:

What else is prone to wear in these trannies? It's been running very quiet and shifts smoothly all the way around. Anything I might want to replace as a "precaution" since it's got about a thousand hours on it?

Again, :omg:

Duff :banghead:

Buzz

If you didn't notice any up and down movement, I personally would just replace the seals (we'll talk you through it). They aren't expensive. If the new ones start leaking then it will be time to tear into it. That's just my opinon.

kj4kicks

One thing to remember: if the hubs don't come off easily, DO NOT beat on them to remove them. If you do, you will cause some internal damage.

Duff

One thing to remember: if the hubs don't come off easily, DO NOT beat on them to remove them. If you do, you will cause some internal damage.

Thanks, Eldon. :banghead: Yeah, I had a time getting them off during the first go-round, but I was gentle with them. It was then that I noticed the in-and-out play which has me a little concerned. I looked at an exploded parts diagram and can't quite figure out what might be sliding around in there. Any ideas?

And thanks, Buzz. I'll take you up on the guidance! If I can avoid a complete tear-down I would just as soon leave well enough alone and just try a seal replacement, but as I said above, the lateral axle play has me a bit antsy. I work the tractor fairly close to the edge of a couple of very steep banks on my property and would hate to have an axle pop out where I could end up going over the edge. :thumbs: That's why I check my brake system faithfully!

:omg: fellas!

Duff :USA:

Duff

Hi, guys!

I tried joinging the Yahoo manuals group. Everything went smoothly EXCEPT getting my back-up e-mail address squared around. I got this really strange message from "yahoo-account-services-us@cc.yahoo-inc.com" telling me to visit a certain link to activate my e-mail. The link isn't anything like I've ever seen before and my browser won't recognize it. Until I get this squared around the admins can't reach me to approve my membership.

Is anyone here an admin or moderator over at that group whom I could PM for some help? :USA:

Thanks as always,

Duff :banghead:

Edit: Don't know what happened, but I got things squared away. Should be all set, and thanks!

kpinnc

I did notice when I was restoring the beast there was a fair amount of lateral (in and out) play in the axles although I didn't detect any up and down while I had it up on jack stands. Must be something else loose inside?

Duff, if I'm reading right, the play you speak of is completely normal. The internal differential gears ride on the splined end of the axles, and 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement in and out is completely normal.

When Eldon reminded you not to beat the hubs off, he was referring to damaging the ends of the axles where the splines have a notch in them to hold the C-clips in place. Those tiny clips are the ONLY thing that holds the axles in the transmission. If you round off the notch, the axles will literally fall out of the tranny. Doesn't take alot of imagination to see how much you could tear up that way.

I agree with Buzz. Buy 4 axle seals, and try 2 of them first. If it still leaks, then open it up and replace the bearings. Heck, for that matter, you can double seal them...

Kevin

Duff

Duff, if I'm reading right, the play you speak of is completely normal. The internal differential gears ride on the splined end of the axles, and 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement in and out is completely normal.

When Eldon reminded you not to beat the hubs off, he was referring to damaging the ends of the axles where the splines have a notch in them to hold the C-clips in place. Those tiny clips are the ONLY thing that holds the axles in the transmission. If you round off the notch, the axles will literally fall out of the tranny. Doesn't take alot of imagination to see how much you could tear up that way.

I agree with Buzz. Buy 4 axle seals, and try 2 of them first. If it still leaks, then open it up and replace the bearings. Heck, for that matter, you can double seal them...

Kevin

Hi, Kevin, and thanks!

Yes, the in-and-out play is only about a quarter inch, so I'm greatly relieved to hear that's within normal limits. Looks like I'll try just replacing the seals then go from there. Got enough to do (don't we all?) without tearing down a perfectly good tranny! :lol:

During the restoration I did drain the tranny and replace the oil. The old stuff was discolored, but no water, metal particles, rust or dirt, so I think the innards have been fairly well preserved, and as I said earlier, she shifts fine and runs with no noises.

Again, :thumbs: to all who've replied! This forum is terrific! :banghead::USA:

Duff :omg: