Machria

GT14 PTO switch failed? Failed closed?

Machria

While snow blowing this morning with my GT14, I flipped the PTO switch to the off position, and noticed the blower didn't stop.  The switch is not disengaging the PTO suddenly (was working fine yesterday).  I added an indicator light (small red LED light on dash) off the switch last year, and the LED is staying on with switch in the off position.  So this means the switch is staying powered, so it's a switch problem, not something else. 

So the question is, do these switches fail "closed" like this normally?      Most switches, when they fail they fail open.   And, where do I get a replacement?

Thanks....

KC9KAS

I'm thinking the GT-14 PTO switch is a rocker switch....Correct?

Rocker switches can be purchased at most auto parts stores. Just make sure you get one capable of the amperage of the coil on the PTO so you don't overload/burn up your new switch!

Racinbob

Yes, they can fail in the closed position. Most likely the contacts have fused themselves together. It's more common to fail in the open position though. If that is a rocker switch as KC9KAS thinks, the failure rate will be a bit higher than others, especially with the current draw of the electric clutch.

Edited by Racinbob

Brrly1

I believe that you can still get the original rocker switches from Toro/Wheel Horse. If not keep an eye on ebay they seem to appear time to time. Of course the electric clutch switch does cost more than the headlight switch. Depends on if you want to stay original.

WH nut

It may just have water in it and froze, see what it does today if you have it in a heated garage.

flyovrcntry

Someone om here had a link to a supplier with that switch,I lost it when my puter crashed awhile back

Machria

Yes, it's a rocker switch. I know I can get and install any rocker switch, but I'd like to have the same one size wise, so I don't have to cut the dash to fit.....

Heated garage? What's that? I don't have a garage! House is on stilts! ;)

Aldon

Machria, Did you source an original switch replacement and if so where? I need to replace the rocker switches on my tractors as well.

• Like 1

Brrly1

Wheel Horse/toro dealer should have the light switch is cheap. Hope your sitting down when they tell you the cost of the electric clutch switch.

• Like 1

oldredrider

You can use a light switch in place of the pto switch, however, it will delete the pto safety switch function. The pto is a stdp. The light switch is stsp. If you don't need a safety,  and want to save money, that is one option. I believe the Charger/Raider series used the same light switch.

• Like 1

Aldon

Thanks. I am planning to stop by the dealer today. I'll decide once I get price and availability.

Machria

Machria, Did you source an original switch replacement and if so where? I need to replace the rocker switches on my tractors as well.

​No, sorry.  I never replaced it.  

You can use a light switch in place of the pto switch, however, it will delete the pto safety switch function.

​What is "the safety function"?   I don't recall it doing anything other than engaging the PTO.... ?

• Like 1

oldredrider

If the tractor is wired correctly and the pto switch is functioning properly, the tractor will not start with the pto switch on. Safety function. 

• Like 1

Machria

Gotcha, thanks.  I'll have to try that, and see if it works on mine.. ...

• Like 1

Aldon

Just an update. I went to dealer and they eventually dug up the part numbers. Light switch was 100768 and PTO switch was 100769. Both of which are no longer available from Toro. And no stock. So I will try harder to recondition the 2 older sets I have but will need to come up with another set or second source similar switches elsewhere for my 3rd tractor that is missing both.

hcminis
On 5/22/2015 at 4:59 PM, Aldon said:

Just an update. I went to dealer and they eventually dug up the part numbers. Light switch was 100768 and PTO switch was 100769. Both of which are no longer available from Toro. And no stock. So I will try harder to recondition the 2 older sets I have but will need to come up with another set or second source similar switches elsewhere for my 3rd tractor that is missing both.

Know this is an old post but did you ever find a switch.  I have 4 NOS rocker switches for the PTO and 1 NOS rocker switch for the light.  Let me know if you still need one.  Going to list them on ebay today.

• Like 1