Graeme

Block Heater???

Graeme

I have a neighbor with a 520 Onan powered and he stores it in his unheated barn, it is used for some light snow removal via single stage blower, here in Northern Vt it gets a little chilly at times (currently -11) and he has been looking for a way to keep his motor warm, he has used a heated dipstick with limited results, or so he says. He really wants to find a way to use a block heater on it, but according to him it has an aluminum block so a magnetic heater is out of the question. It is an Onan powered unit. Honestly, I haven't spent any time with the machine, but thought I'd help the old fella out and pose the question to yous guys. Any ideas? Thanks.

illinilefttackle

When it REALLY gets cold-I use a small fan forced heater aimed at the air intake screen on the flywheel-it blows warm air in and thru the tins of the engine-works for me!-Al

daveoman1966

Hang a 60w incandescent light bulb and let it lay aside the block...anywhere away from rubber or wiring.  Open the hood and throw a small wool blanket over the top if wanted.

Graeme

Hang a 60w incandescent light bulb and let it lay aside the block...anywhere away from rubber or wiring.  Open the hood and throw a small wool blanket over the top if wanted.

Actually, I used this trick when I was younger, on my car, and it worked. I would think he would have thought of that, but then again, I didn't so......Thanks Dave.  I see you're in NW PA, I have family in Meadville and Union City.

shorts

look for a silicone mat type oil heater from the speed shops like Jeg's, I think, Or just go online, we used to use them in the dyno labs to preheat the dry sump oil systems on race engines, "Moroso" brand maybe, they just stick on the bottom of the pan with hi temp silicone.

Graeme

look for a silicone mat type oil heater from the speed shops like Jeg's, I think, Or just go online, we used to use them in the dyno labs to preheat the dry sump oil systems on race engines, "Moroso" brand maybe, they just stick on the bottom of the pan with hi temp silicone.

I wouldn't have known to look for this mat type oil heater, cool idea, thanks Shorts.

GlenPettit

Screenshot2014-01-07at74725PM_zpsbdb8011

They have lots of sizes and wattages available in these Pad Heaters.  But, I like the light bulb and blankets; if the blankets and tarp completely covers the tractor all the way down to the floor, "sorta sealed", a 15 watt bulb should be plenty enough, indoors.

Edited by GlenPettit

sorekiwi

McMaster Carr has those adhesive heater pads as well.  They do require a flat surface to bond to, I'm not sure the Onan has enough flat space to put one.

Graeme

From what my neighbor said it sounded to me like there was a lack of flat space to put a heater on the motor. I will run it by him tonight, as well as the blanket and light bulb idea. I think the blanket and bulb will be more his speed. He suffers from gizmosis.

sorekiwi

Looking at this pic of my 520H, I wonder if a heating pad could be applied to the side of the oil pan below the PTO:

IMG_3926.jpg

McMaster has a pad that measures 1" x 3" (http://www.mcmaster.com/#35765K265) that might fit there.  Sorry, I'm not going back out to the garage to measure that area right now!!!

In another life we used to use those pads to warm the engine oil tanks and gearboxes on Indycars. We used a couple of pads that were probably about 4" x5" in size.  The engine itself was additionally warm with a water heater, pumping hot water through the cooling system.  The heating pads did a good job of heating the oil after being plugged in for about 45 minutes.

Edited by sorekiwi
  • Like 1

boovuc

Whatever you do the main thing to remember is to be absolutely sure you don't start a fire. With gasoline in the lines and the carb, plastic and rubber parts, a battery and electrical components on a tractor, you have to make it safe.

I would advise shutting off the fuel at the tank with anything you use to heat the motor up. Perhaps using a non-combustible draping of non-kraft faced fiberglass insulation over the tractor hood instead of a blanket if you use the light bulb method. (Any small seep of gasoline in that enclosed area will generate an explosive atmosphere in a short time period). All it takes is a spark!

I have used a propane powered infrared heater to pre-warm my tractors on super cold days in my garage. The heater can be kept well away from the tractor and the infrared will heat up the metal and in-turn the motor oil fairly quick. The problem with this method is carbon monoxide buildup in the garage. (No oxygen sensor on my Mr. Heaters either).

Just be careful whatever you try as it doesn't take long to find needless tragedies in the news when we get cold snaps!

Graeme

Sorewiki: I have passed along the info about the heating mat,  his response; "interesting"

Boovuc: Noted on the safety precautions, better safe than sorry.

The nice thing about helping him out with this issue, he is giving me the block heater he bought that doesn't fit his tractor, don't know yet what it is, but I can make it work on something. :)

dbartlett1958

I would just switch to a good Synthetic oil for both Hydro and Engine. It will start and build oil pressure faster, and the hydro will respond better.

KATO

:text-yeahthat: