hilux78

1969 wheel horse 700 trans help

hilux78

Ok to start off I bought this 1969 wheel horse 700. It came with 2 7hp techumseh engines. I was gonna use one but decided to do a swap I purchased a new 420cc motor from hf and did a bunch of mountin. Finally got it on so connected the belt and started it in nutreul pressed in clutch/break and it won't go into gear all it does is grind. When the engine is off it shifts flawlessly. Im wondering if I have to get a longer belt but not sure what im doing wrong all help is appreciated .

TT

You need a belt guard and/or some sort of guides to force (lift) the belt out of the engine pulley.

• Like 1

hilux78

I just tried the guard and didn't work

TT

It would with the original engine.

You changed the engine, now you have to modify the guard or make guides to work with the current engine.

hilux78

Ok so its not because the is to tight

TT

That I don't know - since I can't see it. :confusion-shrug:

When you depress the clutch pedal, there should be enough slack in the belt to release it from the groove at the engine pulley enough that the pulley can spin "inside" the belt. The engine pulley groove must also be clean and free from burrs.

Are you using the original steel 2.5" diameter engine pulley? Is the guide tab still in place at the tensioner arm /pulley?

hilux78

Im using the pulley but no guide tab

hilux78

K so I had to move the engine forward an inch so is it possible that I could have the belt to fast

Tight

Tight

hilux78

I'll take some pics

TT

If the engine has been moved forward and you're still using the 70" belt, that would be a problem.

hilux78

Is that the length of original belt 70"

AMC RULES

Picts of what you're working with would be a big help. 

TT

Is that the length of original belt 70"

Yes

hilux78

What size would u recommend

hilux78

Thanks for your help btw

TT

I can only recommend moving the engine until the crankshaft is in the exact same location as the original Tecumseh.
If you can't do that, you'll have to experiment with belt length.

Thanks for your help btw

Not a problem! :handgestures-thumbup:

Martin

like was mentioned above, when the clutch is pushed in the belt needs to come out of the engine pulley slightly so its not being turned by the pulley anymore. with the belt guard installed and guide tabs working, all movement from the belt should cease when the clutch is pushed down, in turn stopping the pulley on the trans from moving......

that is the key to being able to select a gear, all movement inside the trans needs to stop. if the belt doesn't stop moving, the trans hasn't stopped either......

• Like 1

hilux78

Yeah the main pulley on the trans spins while the clutch is pushed in and out

So u think a 72" belt will work

Martin

just have to try it.

thats the thing with changing parts from how they were manufactured, lots of messing around with changing other parts. trial and error.........

if it was me i would do as Terry suggested and move the crank centerline to how it was originally and then use the standard belt. any other way is a bunch of mixing and matching until you get the right combo. 

i probably would have looked harder at using one of the engines that came with it. a new engine seems like the easiest way to go until you realize there is a bunch of other things that need to be changed to make it work.......

Edited by Martin