1989520HC

M-14 314-8 ????? Tractor will not shut off

1989520HC

I just bought this tractor the other day. It runs fine but if you turn the key off it just keeps on running. Not every single time. Sometimes its fine. Any ideas?

gwest_ca

The ignition on the M-Series of engines is self powered and the ignition wire back to the safety switches and on to the ignition switch is simply grounded to shut the engine off.

DO NOT ALLOW ANY BATTERY VOLTAGE INTO THAT WIRE while testing or the ignition will go up in smoke.

There is either a bad connection in that ignition wire or the ignition switch is not closing in the OFF position.

With the tractor running and the pto on, lift the seat. That should kill the engine and if it does the problem is between the seat switch and the ignition switch.

What is the model number and serial number? Will look for the correct wiring diagram.

Garry

1989520HC

It won't start if the seat switch isn't pushed however if you lift the seat with it running it keeps running.I will get the model number.

Wheel-N-It

Check the connection on the modular plug with three wires on it between the engine and main wiring harness. I have seen a bad connection there that affected the charging system. Two of those wires are for the charging system. The other wire is the one that grounds out the ignition so the engine will stop running. Its just a small chance but worth investigation. The worst that can happen is you will have clean connections when its reconnected.

WH nut

Check you plug on the back of the ignitions switch, and check your grounds.

Edited by WH nut