AMC RULES

Long Term Storage Issue

AMC RULES

When buying a tractor, and the owner says it's been in storage for a long time... :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek: 

do yourself a favor and pull the tins, you may be surprised what you find lurking in there.   

post-3498-0-35208700-1388270370_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-51718900-1388270400_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-03866100-1388270421_thumb.jp

• Like 5

rmaynard

Looks like the mice had long term residency plans.

• Like 1

chazm

Craig thats insulation for the little fellas...   :eusa-think:   they don't need air conditioning this time of year... lol  :eusa-doh:

Chasm   :flags-waveusa:

• Like 1

Sparky

Its good that you found it before overheating the motor and destroying it.

Mike.........

• Like 1

Martin

snap......

post-4321-0-89682300-1388271400_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I changed the oil when I first brought it home...then ran it up and down the street in front of the house. 

For as cold as it was outside, after shutting it down...the engine seemed a little too warm for my liking. 

Plus, while running, I kept seeing little specks of lint flying out of it...so I figured something was up.

Little did I know, the mother of all mouse hotels was going on in there.    :teasing-poke: 

shallowwatersailor

In addition to the "Tick Tubes" to ward off ticks, this fall I purchased six boxes of "Fresh Cab" to ward off the mice and squirrels. So far, so good. I also bought a HF Digital Inspection camera. It was originally  intended for use on the tractors, but I have found more use around the house going behind walls scouting out for future remodeling jobs.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

squonk

I bet it would smell good too !

bowtieguy

Hey.....ole 550.....is that some of your tractors!!!.....looks familiar!!!!

shallowwatersailor

I bet it would smell good too !

My wife can tell when I have been in the garage!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Fresh Cab?   :scratchead:  Like dryer sheets? 

shallowwatersailor

Another fine product from the Upper Midwest, you betcha. They state that it smells like pine. It is pleasant though. There are four sachets in a box and they are not to be used near traps as traps attract mice.

http://www.earth-kind.com/

post-3066-0-57560100-1388277019_thumb.jp

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2

ol550

Hey.....ole 550.....is that some of your tractors!!!.....looks familiar!!!!

How did I know you would have a comment?  No these mice have better construction materials avaliable to them.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

So, I take it...    :scratchead:

these mouse hotels are a common occurrence? 

Kennedy

I had a hotel constructed in the muffler of an old MTD I had. I didn't know it was there until a ball of flaming material come sailing out of the muffler.

• Like 2

posifour11

I had a hotel constructed in the muffler of an old MTD I had. I didn't know it was there until a ball of flaming material come sailing out of the muffler.

That happened to me with wasps ( I'm allergic) last summer. Had just bought it, PO could never get it running. Boy did I high step outta there fast!

• Like 1

Kennedy

I should have know better. When I turned it over a live one bailed out.

• Like 2

bigboy63

Hell I almost burnt down my neighbors 1920 wood floor garage . Learned my lesson

• Like 1

brandonozz

I should have know better. When I turned it over a live one bailed out.

Same here with mud daubers except they were long gone but their mud wasn't.  Thought it was just a weak battery at first and then found out the large dirt ball was there on the flywheel when the starter wouldn't turn the engine over.

• Like 1

pacer

Heh! I guess we all got stories about critters getting in our equip and shops - one of mine is mice ate the wiring on my D-180! Spark plug wires must have been extra tasty there wasnt much left of them, and scattered through out was tastings of the wire harness.

And like brandon, down here the dirt daubers are as much of a problem as mice. I bought a milling machine to rebuild and on removing the motor to bench check it started up alright but was jumping all over the bench and making a terrible racket. On teardown there was NINE wads of mud scattered about! All total throughout the mill was some 30-40 wads.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I think we had about two pounds of mice house insulation blown out of 12 horse Kohler motor on a C-160 that sat for seven years!   Beats all I ever saw before!  Must have been a condo arrangement!

• Like 1

SousaKerry

Had a 12HP K301 that the mouse nest sat in the bottom of the shroud that it rusted right through from mouse pis and rain water.  Rebuilt a Wisconsin V4 had nearly the same problem only not as bad pitted but not through.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Spend some green on some insulation, seal up the place and house a couple of

pretty little rescues out there, a couple ceramic heaters out there and I can work in there all winter

Keep 14 tractors in there and haven't had a mouse ,rat , sqerel or anything else in

there for four years, now I do have to wipe the wheels out where they can get to them

But you must expect that since they own every tractor out there. It's bairly above freezing

out there now but I'm going out to fiddle with an old engine now. Its just horrable

out there now. 67 degrees. Instead of buying 17 trailer loads of tractors, make your

shop comfy and enjoy and appreciate what you've got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMC RULES

Did you say...fourteen tractors? 

specialwheelhorse

Yep ! I been collecting since most of you were in diapers and have give away as many as I have sold

Mine are not restored as many consider restored but they have been stripped and repainted so no matter who

eventually gets them they will be VERY VERY restorable.

• Like 1