Hydro

Single Stage Thrower, advice needed

Hydro

Thanks Mike.  I tend to stay away from buying cross border if I can only because shipping is a lot more expensive and depending on ( I don't really know what) but Canada Customs will require a Customs Brokerage to handle the import and their minimum fee is like $35.00.  I've been burned that way before.  Other times things come right through no problem with only an extra shipping charge. 

It seems if they come from a company I get hit.  From an individual I don't.  Things that come UPS most often I get hit. 

I once paid $135.00 total for an item I bought in the States for $50.00.  :disgust:  You folks have much greater choices and way lower shipping rates than here in Canada.  It's hard to figure out how all this stuff can come from overseas so cheaply, I get the labour component, but yet is so much more expensive when it comes from our neighbor that we have a Free Trade Agreement with :confusion-confused:

Garry thanks.  I haven't used this thrower enough to know whether I think it runs too fast.  I do know it threw snow pretty well for the two short times I used it and it's a lot easier on my tractor than the 2 stage was.   It was working like Rayshorses video :thumbs:

This replacement bearing I bought is identical in size inside and outside.  The only difference I can see is the side of the bearing has a rubber insert in between the inner and out section whereas the one I bought a week ago from Toro (Mexico) has a steel insert.

AMC RULES

NAFTA ensures the tax breaks are reserved for the items traveling the furthest.

• Like 1

can whlvr

glad it worked out,for thr 8 bucks for the bearings a guy can have e spare set on the self,and we don't have the same parts and shipping like you guys in the south,i know for most toro parts I wait 2 weeks if its in Canada,up to a month if not,im still waiting for a roll pin for the lift for 5 weeks now,thats why we have to improvsise fromtime to time

dbartlett1958

Don,

From what I've seen of your post, improvisation is no problem!  Happy New Year

Hydro

Well the snow thrower is back in operation and working perfectly. 

I have to say I wish I would have made the switch from the 2 stage sooner.  I was able to retain the original jackshaft as the new pulley with a new key had to been driven on and was a very snug fit.  The drive sprocket was in good shape and with the new bearings everything ran smoothly.  I used Loctite for all of the set screws and worked the thrower for about twenty minutes then checked everything over.  I finished my driveway which included widening plow harden banks and taking out about 5 inches of freshly fallen snow. 

This tractor and snow thrower are a great combination.

Thanks all for the advice.

post-5559-0-64496700-1388603872.jpg

• Like 3

RMCIII

Now you just need a cab for it.....

MalMac

Hydro I am right with ya. I wish I would have sold my 2 stage earlier also, Now that I have and have the single it's just a way better fit for me.

• Like 1

leeave96

I have to say I wish I would have made the switch from the 2 stage sooner. 

Good post on preparing the snow thrower!

Just curious, why do you like the single stage over the two stage snow thrower?

Hydro

I have to say I wish I would have made the switch from the 2 stage sooner. 

Good post on preparing the snow thrower!

Just curious, why do you like the single stage over the two stage snow thrower?

There are several reasons for me.  The first one being the 2 stage definitely requires more horsepower to operate.  I think in reality the 20Hp Onan is necessary.  I know others with smaller engines do it too but my M16 was really working hard to run that blower with any amount of snow.  There is more power loss in the design of the 2 stage.  Any repairs  will be more involved especially if the gear box is damaged with the 2 stage.  The single stage is a simpler design and operates with less horsepower required.  The transfer of power is more direct and in line as opposed to the gear box necessary for the 2 stage.

Next is the shear size of the unit.  The 2 stage takes up more space for storage and is quite a bit heavier than the single stage.  380 pounds is a lot of weight to be out front of a tractor the size of the Wheel Horse.  I could feel the tractor frame flex under the weight of the 2 stage from time to time depending on grade, angles and approach to snow banks. 

The single stages lifts higher giving more clearance in snow bank approaches.

I always found mounting the 2 stage to be a chore especially transferring load to the front spring.  It takes much more effort to drag it around, line it up and engage the front counterweight spring whereas with the single stage connects quickly and easily with much less work and parts involved.

Right now the snow here is dry and I do not see any significant difference in the ability of either to throw snow.  Maybe the 2 stage throws snow a bit further but 30 feet vs. 40 feet but that really does not matter to me.  The two stage did not handle slush very well and so I doubt the thrower will be any worse.  If it is I can quickly switch back to the blade with much less effort and time required to do so.

I'm not crazy about the high rpm necessary for the single stage auger to run at but other than that I have no criticism of the thrower.  They are well built, easy to work on and simple enough to maintain with chain lube and chain tension being the two most important concerns.  I'm not knocking the 2 stage but for me with the equipment I have I now prefer the single stage. 

I think it will always be easier to repair in the future once Toro stops supporting this model with parts and I think we all know that day is coming.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1