MalMac

Blade Angle Release Old VS. New

MalMac

Has anybody had the chance to compare the old Snow Blade Angle release lever and steel rod setup to the newer lever cable release. I myself have not really had any issues through the years with the old style. Was just wondering if updating to the newer cable was worth it. Was thinking maybe the cable style might get water/snow in it and freeze.

• Like 1

leeave96

I never knew there was a difference. I'd be curious to know how they are different. I was thinking the newer blades had 5 vs. 3 total and settings and later models were 42 vs 48 inch.

Could you post some pics of the differences?

Learn something new on RS every day!

MalMac

There is copy of the manual here on RS. I tried to paste it here but my computer won't let me do it. Look for Model number 79364. To me it looks like more moving parts that are prone to wear and places to freeze and just generally cause more problems.

Edited by MalMac

Lane Ranger

1963 Wheel Horse 633 with BD-4262 Snowplow/Dozer blade that is a 1962 version angle release..  This is an OLD Version -one of the earliest and no cable or wire was used on the Snowplow/Dozer blade release lever and steel rod set up.  In this case Wheel Horse used a flat steel piece linked from the shorter handle (with black knob in this photo) that was attached to the front pin that would allow you to move the angle of the snowplow.  In this case you also had to press the pedal (in front of the handle) to actually release the pin up front in the angle piece.   Notice in the second photo that the previous owner welded a second pin to install the bottom of the handle to if needed. 

Yes the later models like yours MalMac had five holes instead of three in the angle piece for additional angle settings of the plow -a nice feature.   But like you note the manual for your 400 series snowplow did have a few more pieces and different materials on the cable that the angle release lever was connected to for moving the plow.    I do not have one of those plows  mine are all pre-1990.

I think with all these plows a good coat of grease in the angle, in the spring and pin set up at the front of the plow (you have to remove the metal cap in the front of the plow frame) and lubing the moving parts always makes the plow function better for the long run -ice and snow or now!

Edited by Lane Ranger

MalMac

Lane Ranger that looks like the plow that we got back in 61 with are 701. Now question for you, is that Kubota dealer just south of the town square there in Greencastle, didn't that use to be a Whee Horse dealer?

Lane Ranger

Humphrey's Outdoor Power.  They still sell Toro parts etc.   Kubota and Stihl mostly.   I buy Toro parts there.  Phil Humphrey took down the Wheel Horse wooden logo on the pole they had along US 231 several years ago though!

MalMac

I remember the sign there. He used to be a good size dealer if memory serves right. I get down through Greencastle 2 to 3 times a year.

Lane Ranger

Holler at me when you come thru again I am in the book !