shallowwatersailor

Zinc in Engine Oil for Older Engines

shallowwatersailor

Is anyone using Zinc additive or Brad Penn motor oil in their older Kohler and Tecumseh engines? It is marketed for flat tappet engines.

AMC RULES

Currently running Rotella in mine John. 

Hodge71

Castrol GTX 10W-40 in the summer and 10W-30 in the winter. Same as my Dad, and his 12 Automatic has close to 5000 hours and never has been rebuilt…still runs like top… Who says Kohlers don't last?

buckrancher

Running zinc additive in all of mine

tunahead72

I just started adding a couple ounces of ZDDPlus to one of my Wheel Horses this summer, will probably get to my other Kohler machines in the spring.  This is one of those topics that will be debated until the end of time, I figure it doesn't add much expense, can't hurt, could help.

There's other options, try a search here for "ZDDP" or "zinc" for other ideas.

I'm not familiar with the Brad Penn products, although coincidentally I just saw an ad for their oil in Hot Rod magazine today, looks interesting.  Any idea what their zinc and phosphorus concentrations are?

buckrancher

I use the zddplus at 1 oz per quart of 30w oil figure it can't hurt I know Charlie uses it in all his clinton engines

Brian

Martin

I've just been doing a little reading on zddp in oil and wear etc.

anyone that uses additives in there oil should do some reading of the effects of using additives. i quote a forum below, I'm not saying this is the be all and end all, but a little research never hurt anyone. just take it for what its worth.

specifically the 'wear protection' list number 30 is interesting, but you need to read the whole post.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1585194105-post602.html

here is another series that is interesting reading, again mentioning that additives 'can' alter the composition of the oil additive packages that are already present.......

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

theres a lot of info out there and it can get confusing, i just know in a couple hours reading this morning i have learned a lot more about motor oil.......

zinc additives alone are not the answer to wear on flat tappet cams, phosphorus is also important as it works with the zinc. having excessive levels of zinc can actually increase wear on cam lobes.

Edited by Martin

oaktown1987

ive thought about using amsoil high zinc formula not sure if theres a point im running 5/30 synthetic right now going to run year long