Tom.

Sand blasting

Tom.

Hi all,

I hope this is the right section to post this!!

I am planning on buying a sandblasting gun and 22kg of blast media (80-90 grit either aluminium oxide or glass beads) and just wasting the sand as I don't have a cabinet. However I was wondering how much, obviously approximately, how much media i would use? I'm planning on sandblasting my 856. Any help or tips on sandblasting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

JimD

I don't think there is a way to estimate how much media you will use with the method you describe. I did this similarly, but put down a large piece of plastic outside and blasted over top of it. The plastic saved quite a bit of the media and I gathered it back up and sifted it with a colander before reusing it. You can use it multiple times. The best tip I can give you is that blasting above 60 psi is just excessively breaking down the media. 60 psi is the optimal pressure according to where I used to work where we did a lot of blasting with glass bead. Good luck with your project, and post pics of your progress if you can. :thumbs:

Edited by JimD

squonk

you need a good size compressor too!

pacer

I do a lot of blasting in the method you describe. I use one of the cheapo siphon guns seen many places on ebay at around $20 US, just get out in the grass and let it filter into the dirt. I have tried a couple methods of recycling the media and have pretty well given up on it - lot of hassle for limited return. It helps though that I get my media at 50lbs for $8 at TSC here in the states. Its a coal slag product - I think - called black diamond. I recently done a 1054 which is one of the larger tractors, and used about 13-15 bags.

Using this media I run the gun at about 100-110lbs pressure, I find I get the best results at that setting, it will just take off the old paint like wiping a wet rag over it - rust a little bit less so, and greasy/oily parts slowest of all (really not a good way to do these) I simply would not tackle a major rebuild with out a blaster set-up. I also have a pretty large cabinet that will get all the parts that will fit in it.

Yes, you do need a rather large compressor, one producing over 15-16 CFM to be able to stand up to the tremendous amounts of air you are dumping out of the gun. On that little cheapo siphon gun it comes with 3 metal tips and one ceramic - the metal tips will not last very long with the aggresive media while the ceramic will stay with me pretty well.

• Like 1

Tom.

I don't think there is a way to estimate how much media you will use with the method you describe. I did this similarly, but put down a large piece of plastic outside and blasted over top of it. The plastic saved quite a bit of the media and I gathered it back up and sifted it with a colander before reusing it. You can use it multiple times. The best tip I can give you is that blasting above 60 psi is just excessively breaking down the media. 60 psi is the optimal pressure according to where I used to work where we did a lot of blasting with glass bead. Good luck with your project, and post pics of your progress if you can. :thumbs:

Hi,

Thanks for your help, thats handy to know about the optimum PSI is about 60 plus I am going to use glass beads.

Tom

you need a good size compressor too!

Don't worry I've got that bit sorted!

Tom

I do a lot of blasting in the method you describe. I use one of the cheapo siphon guns seen many places on ebay at around $20 US, just get out in the grass and let it filter into the dirt. I have tried a couple methods of recycling the media and have pretty well given up on it - lot of hassle for limited return. It helps though that I get my media at 50lbs for $8 at TSC here in the states. Its a coal slag product - I think - called black diamond. I recently done a 1054 which is one of the larger tractors, and used about 13-15 bags.

Using this media I run the gun at about 100-110lbs pressure, I find I get the best results at that setting, it will just take off the old paint like wiping a wet rag over it - rust a little bit less so, and greasy/oily parts slowest of all (really not a good way to do these) I simply would not tackle a major rebuild with out a blaster set-up. I also have a pretty large cabinet that will get all the parts that will fit in it.

Yes, you do need a rather large compressor, one producing over 15-16 CFM to be able to stand up to the tremendous amounts of air you are dumping out of the gun. On that little cheapo siphon gun it comes with 3 metal tips and one ceramic - the metal tips will not last very long with the aggresive media while the ceramic will stay with me pretty well.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I am now thinking I may have to have a little re-think as 22kg of glass beads is going to cost me around £30 and if I used the same as you I'm looking at £300 and I'd probably be better off taking it somewhere to be done! I am considering making a cabinet or a "booth" where I can re-use atleast some of the glass beads because otherwise it will just cost too much. Thanks again for your help and I will keep you updated with my progress.

Tom

Shynon

Tom

I use a Harbor freight blasting cabinet with black blast from menards. Bought the cabinet with the HF coupon for about 180.00. Looks like the amount of material you loose you could pay for blast cabinet after a couple tractors done. Need large compressor, I have 5hp 2 stage with no problems, and shop vacuum to keep the air clear.  I can blast everything but hoods fenders and frame. I can blast short frame round hoods with a little maneuvering.

Tom

pacer

Using glass bead would get prohibitive pretty quickly, its probably not as aggressive as this stuff I use either, and 110lbs of pressure sure wouldnt be recommended either, that another plus for the black diamond product it stands the higher pressure better. When warmer weather comes back I may investigate another reclamation method.

I use another media in my cabinet (its a HF also) and at the moment I cant recall whats its called... similar to glass but not prone to disintegrate as easily. I put anything I can in the cabinet.

Tom.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help, upon further research I have decided to build a sand blasting cabinet, if it just lasts me this 856 rebuild i'll be happy! It's more to help save money and reclaim some of the beads otherwise it will end up costing me a lot of money which I don't want. Hopefully I can get on with it in the next few days once i've gathered some materials. Thanks again for your help!

Tom

• Like 1