Mike333

16x5.50-8 Replacement Tires

Mike333

:confusion-helpsos: O.k so I'm looking to replace my worn front tires on my Horses,and both take a 16x5.50-8 tire. So I did a quick search and found this size tire has not been made since the early seventies :angry-banghead: . So what are you guy's using to replace them, The once in awhile find on ebay or have most guy's went to the 16x6-8? I'm worried a 16x6-8 will not clear the frame, linkage and whatnot. Any thoughts are most appreciated!!! Happy Holiday's Everyone!! :occasion-santa:

• Like 1

pacer

Many, many of the tractors had/have 16x6.50-8's on them and there are gobs of them on ebay - and you probably couldnt tell the difference once mounted.

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

I just bought a pair of Deestone turfs for my brother in laws JD 112. Size 16X6:00X8.  Was around $67 for the pair shipped to me.

• Like 1

Kelly

The factory used 16x6.5x8 tires on the narrow rims from about 73 to 75 they will clear everything fine, the tires don't set flat on the narrow rims but do fit.

rmaynard

I just bought a pair of Deestone turfs for my brother in laws JD 112. Size 16X6:00X8. Was around $67 for the pair shipped to me.

Would you post the actual order number for those 16x6.00x8 Deestone tires. I'd like to order some and can't seem to find them.

Darkitec

I've been hunting as well.    I was able to find high speed trailer tires that are almost the same size as the originals. and they look like they will fit on the rim better than any of the 6.50 tires

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330364_200330364   It's going to be a little while before I can buy them, but I'll probably give these a try before going the other rout. 

Summet has these but they are a little more expensive.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-5190501

Edited by Darkitec

Horse Play
23 minutes ago, Darkitec said:

I've been hunting as well.    I was able to find high speed trailer tires that are almost the same size as the originals. and they look like they will fit on the rim better than any of the 6.50 tires

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330364_200330364   It's going to be a little while before I can buy them, but I'll probably give these a try before going the other rout. 

Those will be too narrow of a tire for the wider wheels on tractors that originally had 5.50 wide tires.

Horse Play

My 857 had the original 16x5.50-8 sawtooths.  I searched all over for a 16x6.50-8 sawtooth; they doesn't exist.  So I ended up using 16x6.50-8 Carlisle Turf Savers. 

DSC_0010.JPG

Darkitec

IMG_0268.JPG.f421c8dc30610c1c831b755c829333da.JPGIMG_0267.JPG.4f1f4d25c8c57e7891a7f877dd37706c.JPGHADO2877.JPG.0853fd56b951ddce09c648ffb6bca714.JPGMy original rims are only 3.75 to 4" wide between the beads, vs. the newer one that is 6.5" between beads.  Yours looks like it's wider

Edited by Darkitec
  • Like 1

Darkitec

Hard to tell from these photos but the bead is 1.25" back from the outside face of the tire. 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, Darkitec said:

Those 4.80 x 8's are a little taller than 16". You would probably notice the difference. I would put some 4 x 8 tri ribs if you like them. Them have to use tubes and it will work with your wheels no problem. 

Randy

pdubray
On 4/29/2018 at 5:01 PM, RandyLittrell said:

Those 4.80 x 8's are a little taller than 16". You would probably notice the difference. I would put some 4 x 8 tri ribs if you like them. Them have to use tubes and it will work with your wheels no problem. 

Randy

I know this is an old post, but curious when you installed the 4x8 tri ribs on the 5.5x8 rims, do you happen to remember what size inner tube you used? I am about to do the same, not sure if the 16-4x8 tube will work or if I need to go to the 16-6x8 tube.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
3 hours ago, pdubray said:

I know this is an old post, but curious when you installed the 4x8 tri ribs on the 5.5x8 rims, do you happen to remember what size inner tube you used? I am about to do the same, not sure if the 16-4x8 tube will work or if I need to go to the 16-6x8 tube.

I honestly can't remember, but I THINK it was the 4x8 tubes. Sorry, it has been a minute and I'm old!!

Randy

• Thanks 1

wallfish

4x8 tri ribs on the 5.5x8 rims, do you happen to remember what size inner tube you used?

4x8 tubes. The tubes will expand. Buy tubes by the tire size

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pdubray

Thanks for the response, wanted to make sure before I put the tires on, don't want to have to take em back off.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Thanks for the response, wanted to make sure before I put the tires on, don't want to have to take em back off.

Also, they sell tubes with the valve stem in more than one spot too. I have a pair of tubes I couldn't use on some wheels I had. 

Randy

pdubray
On 3/20/2023 at 4:41 PM, RandyLittrell said:

Also, they sell tubes with the valve stem in more than one spot too. I have a pair of tubes I couldn't use on some wheels I had. 

Randy

Thanks for the info Randy, I too suffer from what I call oldtimers, can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago let alone years past. I got them mounted up on the rim, look really good, now get them mounted back on the tractor to get ready to mow.

• Like 2