redrooster

Koehler question

redrooster

I have a 79 14 h Kohler. The butterfly shaft that runs through the carburetor wobbles in the holes. Is that normal or should it be tight?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

post-12156-138731601313_thumb.jpg

rmaynard

Throttle shaft is what that is called, and it should not have play in it. You probably need a bushing kit. Too much play allows too much air to be pulled in causing many different problems, the least of which is the inability to properly adjust the carburetor.

redrooster

Thanks for the intel! Tried to look it up on parts tree but could only find the whole carburetor @ 350.00 yikes. Do you know where I can get parts?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rmaynard

There are throttle kits available from Kohler, but you should be able to get just the bushings and screws from http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/a1carb.htm

redrooster

I noticed the linkage from the throttle to the governor was sloppy. I don't know if it is worn out or a bushing is missing. Can any of these parts be repaired or replaced? post-12156-139572105358_thumb.jpg

rmaynard

All of mine are a little sloppy, but it doesn't seem to effect the way it works.

Ed Kennell

Throttle shaft bushing is available from Brian  Millers for $5.  I just got 3 to rebush 3 #26 carters.

Edited by ekennell

Wishin4a416

I recently rebuilt my # 30 carb and got bushings at Ace Hardware. Hillman # 58087-A. It takes 2. I stocked up while there at .60 each.

rmaynard

Throttle shaft bushing is available from Bill Millers for $5.  I just got 3 to rebush 3 #26 carters.

Did you mean Brian Miller (http://gardentractorpullingtips.com)? If so, when was the last time you purchased any from him? He has not answered my emails in 6 months.

redrooster

Im thinking about welding the hole and redrilling it. This was suggested by a repairman at the factory I work at. Probably need to finish the project before worrying about that detail.

Ed Kennell

Did you mean Brian Miller (http://gardentractorpullingtips.com)? If so, when was the last time you purchased any from him? He has not answered my emails in 6 months.

Sorry Bob  .... I worked with a Bill Miller in Scouting...Guess I had Bill on my mind.   I did mean Brian Miller.  I ordered the bushings by email in Dec. 2012 and did not get a reply, so I called Brian in Jan. and reordered by phone. He said he was way behind on his emails.  It still took about  two weeks to get the bushings  after I talked to him.

I couldn't find bushings for my #26 cabs locally ...ACE, TSC, Tru Value.... so I went to B. Miller.  They did work, But delivery is slow.

Edited by ekennell

oldlineman

Lakota racing just did my #26 carb $3.00 for bushing I think $2.00 for screws but did not need them used old ones over tried Brian Millers and got no response. Very easy to do makes big difference in performance off engine.   

Ed Kennell

Rooster, If you do take the throttle shaft out, be sure to grind the burr off the back side of the two screws holding the throttle plate to the shaft. If you don't, the screws will probably break when the burr enters the thread .... don't ask how I know.

redrooster

Had the throttle shaft repaired by Brian Miller (long story) now working on linkage in picpost-12156-139579096973_thumb.jpg

slammer302

That's not the first time I have heard that about brain

buckrancher

I e-mail him this last weekend about a couple of errors on his engine spec.  page and he sent me a e-mail thanking me for letting him know