Pickle

Kohler KT17-II Overhaul parts

Pickle
  1. I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am unable to start a new topic for some reason. I am finding some incredibly high prices on overhaul parts for my Kohler KT17-II

I decided to rering my 417A engine over the winter. I purchased a Kohler overhaul gasket kit on Ebay. It arrived unopened with only one head gasket.

I then purchased two Kohler NOS piston kits with rings from a different Ebay seller. They arrived new with rusted rings that are not in condition to be useful.

Each part I try to purchase is incredibly overpriced (one piston w/rings $237.00)  Kohler exhaust valve ($80.00) (Ring set for one cylinder $70.00)

I tried purchasing rings from Hastings ring company only to learn you must be a dealer to order from them.

Help me out guys - this is getting costly and time consuming tryng to gather the correct new parts to complete the overhaul.

AND - oh by the way - my gasket set does include two new Kohler intake valve seals.

Edited by Pickle

nylyon

I split this into it's own topic.  I've checked your account and do not have posting restrictions.  If you can post in the Site Suggestions / Issues area please post what happens when you try to create a new post in the engines forum.

• Like 1

Ken B

I myself have been thinking about rebuilding my KT17-II on my 417 someday. At almost 2000 hrs on the clock she still runs good and strong but I want to be prepared. I could use the same kind of help if anyone has some info...

Pickle

I split this into it's own topic.  I've checked your account and do not have posting restrictions.  If you can post in the Site Suggestions / Issues area please post what happens when you try to create a new post in the engines forum.

Thank you Karl!

JackC

Rather than buying parts and rebuilding I personally would look for a low hour KT17 II replacement engine.  I bought a 417A with a 500 hour KT 17 II engine and nice 48 inch deck for $250 and I see C-175s with the grey replacement engines (KT17 IIs) going for as little as $175.  The 417A that I purchased was left out and did not run due to corroded connections and a dirty carburetor.  A low hour KT17 I may also provide many compatible parts for a rebuild.

• Like 1

Pickle

My engine is still running good - just using some oil.

Edited by Pickle

SousaKerry

Don't be afraid of aftermarket parts to keep the cost down.  If you get junk parts on Ebay file a complaint if the seller won't take it back I always use paypal when possible just for the insurance.  

I rebuilt a Wisconsin V-4 a few years ago, Wisconsin parts are way higher then Kohler parts trust me they wanted over $400 for a set of rings.  I was able to find an online retailer that sold Hastings rings for less then $60

Try here

http://www.perfectengine.com/Hastings_Piston_Rings_s/127.htm

• Like 1

Martin

rebuilding is nice, but the most economical way is to find a good runner like mentioned. rebuilds can soak up the $ real quick. most people don't realize how much a decent rebuild for one of these twins costs....

as far as parts prices go, look at genuine onan parts and the kohler stuff doesn't look too bad.....

Pickle

Thanks everyone for the suggstions - I'll continue  my winter overhaul route simply for peace of mind in knowing what I have when the acres long mowing season begins once again.

MalMac

You might try Pat's Small Engine. I have used them on the last couple of Kohler rebuilds. They carry OEM and aftermarket. I found them to be the cheapest on OEM parts than anybody. Anyway it worked for me using them. Just a thought.

Pickle

You might try Pat's Small Engine. I have used them on the last couple of Kohler rebuilds. They carry OEM and aftermarket. I found them to be the cheapest on OEM parts than anybody. Anyway it worked for me using them. Just a thought.

I have ordered from the company that you mentioned and I have received good service, well packaged materials, in a timely fashion and at a good price .

Pickle

See what you all think about the Ebay junk NOS Kohler rings I received for my KT17 II 417A.

post-11460-0-21276000-1387768132_thumb.j

JackC

Is that rust? If it is I assume it can be removed?

Pickle

Is that rust? If it is I assume it can be removed?

Yes it is rust and no it cannot be removed - several layers of rusted flakes, rings have become pitted - I will not use them in my engine rebuild.

post-11460-0-62890200-1387769636_thumb.j

Edited by Pickle

shorts

If you don't have the proper tools and ability to use them (micrometers) take the engine to a reputable machine shop and have them measure the engine and make a recommendation for an overhaul plan including machine work and parts. they will probably not use OEM Kohler parts, but Kohler didn't make their own pistons and rings,, they bought them from a tier 1 supplier in bulk and had repair parts kits packaged in their logo packaging for the retail market.

• Like 1

Pickle

If you don't have the proper tools and ability to use them (micrometers) take the engine to a reputable machine shop and have them measure the engine and make a recommendation for an overhaul plan including machine work and parts. they will probably not use OEM Kohler parts, but Kohler didn't make their own pistons and rings,, they bought them from a tier 1 supplier in bulk and had repair parts kits packaged in their logo packaging for the retail market.

Mechanic/machinist/degreed engineer with 35 years of engine experience and tools to complete the job.

• Like 1

JackC

They must have been sitting on the shelf for a long time.  I would send them back to the seller and ask them to send replacements but inspect them first.  No doubt it is getting harder to find good parts.  If you buy from someone else, also have them inspect before sending.  Have you tried Small Engine parts Warehouse 1-800-236-2333?

• Like 1

Pickle

I purchased two more sets of rings(replacement) from Pats Small Engine.

Wheel-N-It

Good thread guys. I've been wondering what to do when the series 2 on my 417A need rebuilding. Ken B's words give me some comfort though with his series 2 having just under 2000 hours. Mine has right at 890. It still runs great, and I have no complaints with it. Just thinking about the future.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

See what you all think about the Ebay junk NOS Kohler rings I received for my KT17 II 417A.

I have bought many NOS ring sets over the years that were quite old.  What would cause rust in just those spots and not the whole ring?  I have never seen this before.

• Like 1

Pickle

I would imagine his roof has a leak.

Pickle

I installed a new open ended bearing and race on my PTO pulley. It made a huge difference in the noise level and operation of the PTO drive. More repairs forthcoming, I simply work much of the time(two jobs) and rarely have free time for garage duties and the 417A. 

Pickle

I installed a new open ended bearing and race on my PTO pulley. It made a huge difference in the noise level and operation of the PTO drive. More repairs forthcoming, I simply work much of the time(two jobs) and rarely have free time for garage duties and the 417A. 

I have removed the cylinders and pistons, all appear to be in fine condition with the exception of two (loose) valve stem to valve guide fit. I will measure the valve guide inner diameter to determine whether I will press and fit two new guides.

The pistons did have some burnt fuel along the skirt areas. I will replace them with new standard bore pistons. I am concerned about using the newer style Mahle pistons in the older engine 23450 serial 141***** I suppose I could weigh each piston in gram weight to see if there is a difference.

I mainly want to refresh the combustion sealing of the cylinders (60 psi cranking compression each cylinder) and cut the oil consumption. Also replacing fuel lines, pump, points, overhaul carburetor and possibly a new starter.

I would like some input.