Scotsman

snowblower cotter pin keeps ripping out.I even used a nail!

Scotsman

I had a dissapointing time for my first storm.

I have a 89 312-8 with a single stage snowblower,tire chains wheel weights all set to go.

I hit my first snow, heavy and wet snow that got rained on.

Didn't throw any and clogged the auger.

Spent today chipping it out.

So I took it off and tried putting on my plow.........

It is a 6-2132........it is to small.

So I put the blower back on.......

now my lift arm button isn't locking it in the up position.

And I keep shearing out whatever I put in the cotter pin slot below the snowblower that the bar attaches too.

I am not giving up,but I am having a few bass ales and staring at it.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Do you have the push rod on the blower  correctly ? The bend in the flattened end should turn down. I use a 1/4" SST bolt  and nylock nut to keep it in place.  Put the flag pin in the top hole of the lift lever.

dbartlett1958

Scotsman,

Make sure you place a 5/8" flat washer between the lift rod and cotter pin,

• Like 2

Scotsman

I do have the bend on the bottom.

i'll try the washer.

Thanks

Scotsman

I'll try the bolt and locknut also.

Thanks

Trouty56

Some of the older throwers did not have a replaceable scraper blade. Wonder if this is causing a problem. Maybe try raising the roller wheels or skids.....might need a new scraper welded on if it isn't bolted on. Just an edit....lower the wheels and raise the blower.

Edited by Trouty56

Scotsman

My skid plates where worn so I welded some steel on the bottom.

I'll try raising it up.

Thanks

Lane Ranger

That washer is despite being so small, and you would think unnecessary, a needed addition!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Trouty56

Is it caused by lifting the blower??  I was thinking maybe something was catching it on the surface like stones or something.  Maybe it is binding when lifting and the lift bar shears whatever you put through to hold it.  The lift bar should have a bend in it so it is flush with the bottom of the blower and the ground.  Not a hydro lift so you would have to have a strong arm to shear something off.

Scotsman

Lane ranger you could not have been more correct.

1 washer the size of a quarter and I am in business.

Also I figured out how to adjust the threaded pto lever a few turns because I wasn't locking the pto in the on position.

I also realized I bent my plow lift lever,I put a piece of fence pole on it and bent it back I to shape, which allowed my button to be able to be pressed.

I can't get it to lock in the up position, but I used it and it worked like a champ!

I paid 75$ for the 312-8 in the fall of 2012 and the snowblower for 75$ also.

But didn't run it last year due to surgery.

Man I get it all now.

I picked the wheelhorse because it was a great price,but after going thru it and seeing the practical engineering I am so lucky I just kind of To"Forest Gumped" my way into the world of wheelhorse but I am loving it.

Thanks everyone

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

:beer:   Here's  to ya Scotsman. Luv it when it works. You proved again...... It pays to ask :rs:

• Like 1

Scotsman

Wow was I working my 312-8 snowblower!

I smoked of one of my pullies on the snowblower!

I smelt some rubber in the dark, but dismissed it thinking it was just working hard!

My neighbor who I helped

(I.E. did his whole property,but that's the wheelhorse way)

found it on the ground.

So I found where it went,and was lucky to see that the belt was riding on the outside of the bearing case!

It chewed up a channel the thickness of a pencil a little less than a quarter of an inch deep in my brand new belt!

But I think I can use it for a little bit.

I worked that 312-8 hard last night!

I made 80$ and did a bunch of good neighbors driveways for free.

People where in their windows in 4-5 houses just watching with awe at the power and speed of a 27 year old tractor just tearing through some hard packed snow!

I was very satisfied and basked in the kind of feeling Noah must have had

after his neighbors laughed at his the way my brother in law and mother in law laughed at me!

Then I watched with quit satisfaction as they both sat there with their jaws hanging open watching !

It was a beautiful thing,and I didn't need to say a word,I just smiled that smile of complete satisfaction.

Thank you Mr.Pond.

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

Somebody once told me that these are "Lifetime" tractors, not the Big-Box scrap metal versions that most of your neighbors have. 27 years is a good start. Keep the faith!

Scotsman

My city if 5 miles North of Boston,NOBODY has a lawn tractor.

That's why I got all the funny looks and the "what do you need that thing for?" comments.

A regular snowblower is like getting a dishwasher,you think "wow I won't have to do dishes anymore"

But that's not the case.

And a regular walk behind snowblower is better than shoveling, but still alot of wrangeling keeping it from riding up the snow.

The best part is ;

75$ for the tractor

75$ for the blower

And me sitting in comfort while while neighbors fight with their 1200$ craftmans!

Tim

I hear you

I grew up a couple of towns northeast of you Saugus

nobody had a lawn big enough to justify a riding lawn mower never mind a garden tractor

my dad always had garden tractors to work around the yard and move snow

he had the largest lot in the neighborhood 2/3 acres

people thought he was crazy, and then appreciative after he cleaned their driveways

his first was a 1960 suburban 400 with a plow and front reel mower he got used in 1968

(I was 6) it was my go cart for around the yard.  I remember him hauling fill and I would have to sit on the hood so it did not flip over!!!!

then he got a sears suburban 12 in about 74

then in the late 80's he got a 1975 C120 plow tractor

early 90's a 1972 charger snow blower

then around 2000 a 314-8 plow

he had to go to assisted living in 2011, I know his neighbors missed him

I sold the charger and the sears suburban still have the rest

I would have kept them if I had the room, He would rather I got rid of them than store them outside

• Like 1

Scotsman

I did all my shopping at the square one mall.

The hilltop just closed.

They sold everything, even the plastic cows!

They went for 5000$ a piece!

Edited by Scotsman

Tim

i knew the hilltop closed

$5000 grand?

who bought them, the MIT frat kids that used to steal them every year?

Scotsman

I think the cow money went to charity.

I can still hear the p.a. saying ;

"Two for Sioux city"

Tim

yeah they could move people through that place

the restaurant seated about 1300 people in its heyday

RMCIII

My city if 5 miles North of Boston,NOBODY has a lawn tractor.

That's why I got all the funny looks and the "what do you need that thing for?" comments.

A regular snowblower is like getting a dishwasher,you think "wow I won't have to do dishes anymore"

But that's not the case.

And a regular walk behind snowblower is better than shoveling, but still alot of wrangeling keeping it from riding up the snow.

The best part is ;

75$ for the tractor

75$ for the blower

And me sitting in comfort while while neighbors fight with their 1200$ craftmans!

Yeah... It's kinda like that. Same where I live in Cleveland. Everyone snickered when I rolled into town with the garden tractor. They did not see the snow blower in the trailer. I let them have their fun for several months. It only would take me 10 minutes to mow my lawn, so I decided to mow 4 yards, at once. It kept the grass looking consistent and allowed the tractor to work a little more.

Finally when it was time to put the snow blower on, and the cab, everyone stopped laughing and snickering then. Now I get thumbs up everywhere I go. When I pull into the gas station to fill up, it always becomes, a conversation piece. The best is when the policemen give me the thumbs up also. I drive it right down the streets. They know I am going to help someone out, they all have passed by me once or twice. Funny how lenient they become when there is snow on the ground and you have equipment to remove it. Laws do not seem to come into play then. But I am sure, someone somewhere, is calling me a hillbilly and making fun of me... Oh well, water off a duck's back.. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Scotsman

I Its nice isn't it.

My neighbor is the guy with the fancy snowblower ,so its extra nice watching him while I sit in comfort