Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Winterize

BairleaFarm

What do you guys do to winterize your tractors? I am going to guess that most of mine will sit. I will keep the c160 ready to go with the plow just in cast we get more than our usual dusting of snow.

Tire chains get better traction in snow then ags correct?

sorekiwi

I take off the deck, put on the snow plow and fit chains on the rear! :banghead:

BairleaFarm

So you dont mess with the fluids or filters?

sorekiwi

So you dont mess with the fluids or filters?

No, I dont. But I suppose I should check the Kohler manual and see what it says about oil and temps.

The only tractor I take out in the snow is my old B80. I always let it warm up a bit before working it - usually let it run while I shovel the apron in front of the garage, finish my coffee, 5 or 10 minutes.

I guess the gearbox oil must be pretty thick at freezing temps, but I'm kind of a believer in nice thick oil in a worn, old transmission.

Fuel filters I change in spring. The tractors and mowers I dont use in winter I drain the fuel out of the tank and run the carb out of gas too. I'm not a big believer in Stabil but have heard a lot of good things about Seafoam and Klotz (havent tried them). I usually change the oil before winter and put a squirt of oil down the spark plug hole and turn it over a couple of times to try and protect the bore. Then I tag them so I know what I've done!

My rear tires on the B80 are loaded with windscreen washer fluid (dont remember how much they took) and I use chains (with Turf tires). I've never tried Ags in the snow, you get a lot of different opinions on this. My turfs with chains seem to do OK, but remember in Central Indiana we dont get a hole lot of snow - the most I've had to clear was probably about 6 inches, but in the drifts it was about a foot deep.

Hope this helps.

Sparky

Put some Stabil in the gas and run it so its in the tank and the carb. I never drain my carbs. Take the battery out, fully charge it (never store it dead or low on juice)and bring it indoors unless you have heated storage.

My tractors that hi-bernate need a few mouse traps around em as well. The mice have been wicked here lately.

Mike.........

rustbucket

sea foam in the fuel marvel miricel oil in the crank case with the oil so it mixes in nicely and down the plug hole for non workers and all hide in the 2 car garage. the horses that is. the ones i use i have read in summer 30 weight in winter 10 weight or 10 w 30 for multi weight guys. i acctualy am swaping from the mineral oil aka fossile oil to synthetics and only useing good old ams oil as i found a local NAPA of all places that carries it religiously on the top shelf above even name brand oil companies. the other thing i do for the winter workers is allow them plenty of warm up time and make sure that if snow can get into spots you remove it before it gets bad and ices or rusts the metal. plus if you use in areas where they salt in summer give them a real good washing or else your machine will really rust. i plan to use one of my round hoods for snow removal this winter if not 2 we will see though when the snow falls how much i need that nose blower out front on the slowed down 854 with crazy high rpm's

refracman

I'm like Mike, run them completly out of gas,blow dry the tank and fuel line. Remove the bowl on the carb and dry it out then a lite film of trans fluid in it, reinstall it and a little down the plug hole. As for the engine oil the 3 workers get enough use that thier oil gets changed at least 2xs a year if not more. The rest I'll start them up in the spring and then change the engine oil, thats if they even get started :banghead: if not a little more oil down the plug hole.

linen beige

I've never tried Ags in the snow, you get a lot of different opinions on this.

I think one reason there are so many differing opinions on this subject is that snow behaves differently in different parts of the country.

David, I use my 702 to plow any snow we get. It has dual ags on it and no additional weight. The inner ags also have chains on them. The chains have NEVER worked there way down between the lugs. This little booger will push a full blade of snow until it runs out of gas. And it uses very little gas. The big trick is to keep the pile moving so it doesn't turn to ice and stick to the pavement.

The snow we get is usually so easily packed that the ags will grab hold of it fine.

Also, I don't use any type of fuel stabilizers, and don't drain fuel tanks, carbs etc. The gas we have here doesn't have the same types of additives in it that are used in other areas and it doesn't soak up moisture like the fuel with alcohol in it. I may have to charge a battery or two in the spring, but other than that, all my stuff starts right up and runs like it did last fall. And most of it sits outside.

BairleaFarm

Thanks Guys. YOu know winter is right around the corner