Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

2 Cracks on frame

Brian1045

I just noticed 2 pretty decent sized cracks on the frame of my WH. Could a good welder fix those as is? Or would a major dis-assembly be required here for welding?

Attached Image

post-3-1220307957.jpg

oldandred

Newbe these can be welded up and be as good as new but the tranny has to be taken out so it can be welded right.Ive done a few there use to be a kit to add to keep that from happing dont know if its still made.

but yes it can be fixed

HorseFixer

If It were mine I would as ole and red stated remove the tranny and have someone tig weld it. Have a 1/4 plate made and have ready and weld it to existing plate as reinforcement. Why take the chance to revist this issue in the future. :USA:

Cheers Duke :banghead:

Electro12WH

My '68 Charger 12 has two bars drilled to connect each pair of holes. Might as well beef it up while you have it apart!

Brian1045

Yea..I like to beef things up as well. 2 flat pieces of steel from bolt to bolt is a great idea for re-enforcement. :banghead:

BadDad

I also had two cracks in the 855 frame. Here are some pictures of what I did.

pond195520032003

this is a very common problem with the older tractors :USA: but they figured it out and had a repair available at one time :banghead: some of the later tractors came with the brace already welded in place :thumbs: i would definitly either remove the transmission to weld it up or stand it up to get at it better(maybe grind a *V* in the crack and weld back up) :lol: after that, i would recomend either making a strap that runs from one side to the other(i believe its 1" X 6 or 8"s X 1/8" thick?) this should keep it from happening again and also go ahead and make one for the top bolts :lol: :omg:

BPjunk

Brian,

Wheel Horse has a factory repair for the problem of cracks at the transmission mounting bolt holes. They sell a 1/4 inch plate that you bolt up from the front side of the transmission mount, you will have to get (4) 3/8 x 18 x 1 inch bolts to install the plate. In 1965 Wheel Horse added a brace ribs to the transmission mount. I will dig out the part number for the plate when I get home from work.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

sorekiwi

I also had two cracks in the 855 frame. Here are some pictures of what I did.

Damn, that repair came out really nice. Puts my welding to shame...

Sarge

I've also had to weld several , some years ago with an old ac stick welder I still own - the steel used in the older Horses welds very nicely, good carbon base! The newer stuff since recycling became the hot ticket just plain doesn't weld the same. BTW, I do own a nice tig now, so if anyone has sheetmetal or exotic stuff repaired it will only cost materials/shipping , no excess charges . I just do it for fun , although argon is getting expensive thanks to hazmat crap these days . Fixed the 1277's belt guard Sunday when it cracked off the entire front mount due to a missing bolt/stay at the rear of the frame , can't see it at all now .

Sarge

BadDad

sorekiwi (Mike) I do wish I could take the credited for the welding but I had it done by a professional.

HorseFixer

As Wild Bill Stated I Bet The Wheel Horse Kit Is A 1/4 Plate Like EVERYONE has Suggested :USA: And Yes The Longer Bolts Would Be Nessasary. While At It I Would Replace With Grade "8" Never Know When You Get In The Heat Of Battle! :banghead:

Duke