Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Great safety item

Sparky

Hey guys. I just got back from a job in Virginia and I allways make a trip to Northern Tool to drool over all the stuff and pick up a few things that will fit in my suitcase.

Well this time I bought a really neat set of hearing protectors. They are item#174636-1901. They are usually $59.99 and are in the catalog for $44.99 but were on the shelf at only $39.99! They offer great noise protection with AM/FM stereo reception to boot. I tried em out today for mowing duty and they worked great. The tractor I mowed with has electronic ignition and there was no interferance at all. I was still able to hear the engine so if it started to skip/bang/knock/explode, I would know it :banghead: . The sound is really great and they were able to hold the station with no drifting at all. There not super loud so I dont expect my kids to "steal em" :omg: . If you have teenagers you know what I mean.

I know safety is no ones favorite topic but these tractors we love can be kinda loud and my hearing is not the best (just ask my wife :USA: ) so these will be my choice when I'm out mowing. In the winter I need a thick hat or hood so I dont know if they will work out for plowing and snow-blowing.

Mike.............

headset003.jpg

And who can deny that they dont make me look totally cool :thumbs: !

headset002.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Great item...

But probably belongs in non-tractor section.

But that is up to the moderators......ummmm

Oooops!.....those moderators.......tiska tiska..... :USA:

:banghead:

Sparky

Update, just tried it with a coil/condenser/points engine and no interferance just like the electronic ignition type engine.

Mike..........

Sparky

Topic moved to Non-tractor section.

Mike.......

Teddy da Bear

This reminds me of the proverb.....

Physician heal thyself! :USA:

Your the best Sparky.....lol you know I was just :banghead:

your friend Mike

nylyon

They do look pretty sharp, with a radio huh?

Teddy da Bear

Radio too.......hmmmmmm

I can just picture him playing "air guitar" instead of holding on to the wheel... :banghead:

DOC in Kentucky

Hey Sparky,

Do you know or does the box tell you how much these weigh. Went to the wedsite and couldn't find out. I had a pair years ago and the darn things were so heavy, they hurt the top of your head and created many a stiff neck. And it wasn't just me, everybody who I let borrow them complained about it.

Just curious :banghead:

Sparky

Sure does. The paperwork says 340 grams which is 11.9 ounces. This weight includes the 2-AA batteries needed to use the radio function.

I mowed for over an hour and there was no neck fatigue.

The only drawback; my daughter swears she saw my mouth moving while I was mowing......musta been the Eric Clapton tune I was listening to :banghead: .

Mike..........

Rod(NASNUT)

I just use my I-Pod and ear buds :horseplay:

Duff

musta been the Eric Clapton tune I was listening to :omg: .

Now we're cruisin'! :banghead:

Duff :USA:

Teddy da Bear

Eric who??? :banghead:

Air guitar is only a mow away now....lol

wh500special

Mike,

I've been using an identical pair of those things for a few years now - in cooler months at least - and like them too. It's pretty rural here and radio stations are kind of weak, but it usually pulls them in good enough to help pass the time a little quicker. And, they block a fair amount of commotion from the machinery but not so much that you can't hear what is going on. best of all, you don't even have to have the volume very loud to still hear whatever it is that you're listening to.

When it's hot, I find them pretty uncomfortable and just wear disposable ear plugs, but they sure are nice to have. I rarely every go w/o ear protection anymore when doing anything with the tractors or other equipment since I can do without the headaches...

A tree branch actually knocked mine off one day while I was running the bush hog out back on the big tractor. They quickly dropped between the tractor and mower and I turned around just in time to see them go under the deck! To my surprise, the blades apparently just grabbed hold of them and tossed them out the back! when I picked them up the only damage was a missing battery cover. Still work, and with a little tape to hold the batteries in, I still use them. I've lost a few hats this way too...

Now, if only WH had used a better muffler...

Steve