captainownage01

Engine Paint

captainownage01

Hi All,

I'm getting ready to paint my kohler k181 and I was wondering which brand and color of paint will work the best. I know it has to be an engine paint but just let me know which worked the best for you.

Thank You

SousaKerry

Duplicolor Engine Enamel. Works great tough as heck for a spray paint and they have a red color that is a dead on match to Rustoliums Regal Red.  I want to say the color is Ford Red but that is probobly wrong.  Also the Brake Caliper Red works well also but it is more expensive. 

rmaynard

I paint my engines with the same paint that I paint the tractor.

• Like 1

Coadster32

X2...Haven't had a problem yet either.

• Like 1

pacer

Me too --- I do get darkening around the exhaust, but every where else looks great, I expect even the best of em will darken somewhat around the exhaust.

• Like 1

captainownage01

I want to say the color is Ford Red but that is probobly wrong.

You are correct on that one. Ill give it a try. It's my first restoration on a wheel horse so I hope it all goes well. Thanks for the advice.

Pullstart

pulling this up from the archive, I just e-tanked and wire wheeled my K161 block.  Do you all prime the cast iron too, or just paint and let the engine heat bake it on?  in the same manner, would you generally assemble the engine raw then prep and paint?  I'll plan on leaving the head off to keep it bare aluminum.

SousaKerry

I actually pressure wash my blocks before diss-assembly then sand blast the bare block(turning your pressure down helps.)  I duct tape all the openings with several layers and put bolts in all the bolt holes.  then I will wash the block with denatured alcohol and go strait to the Duplicolor Engine Enamel.  Never used primer even though it says to and I have not had a problem.  Just make sure if you sand blast to inspect every nook and cranny very carefully as that sand will find holes every time. 

I also sand blast my heads and then leave them in bare aluminum.  I do hand lap the sealing surface back in after sand blast.