AMC RULES

What to look for?

AMC RULES

Saw this article on line...

http://www.enginerepairshop.com/automotive-machine-shops.html

got me to thinking...I wonder if our members could share any tips/experience that would help one to choose the best machine shop locally for rebuilding a tractor's small engine? 

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Great idea Craig! Sort of like the dealer list we have. I know I might need one shortly and my hometown shops have dryed up. The pullers in my area all use a fellow in Oh about 4 hrs away.

Oops I guess I read it wrong the first time. I was thinking a Shop list  My problem is my small engine shops have dissappeared. The people have retired and the throw away machines have put some out of business. Even the good Auto machine shops have moved.

Edited by Wishin4a416
  • Like 1

shorts

Ask around, word of mouth is probably the best way to find a machine shop, check out the independent auto parts suppliers and repair shops, if they can't do the work for you they probably know who can or will machine a small engine. Check in heavy truck, farm and equipment shops they still have a need to repair/rebuild components instead of replacing them.

Modern equipment and manufacturing process have turned us into a throw away world, often times it's most cost effective to replace parts with new than it is to machine and refurbish with the cost of skilled labor and high tech equipment.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

No real tips here Craig, but for anyone interested in a rebuild in my area just PM me and I'll give you my best recommendation.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Thank you Van. 

buckrancher

I get all my motors done at Bennett Die & Tool :hide: 

baerpath

We have three circle tracks and two strip tracks close by, plus the pullers so we have a 5 shops in the area and 2 I would say are real good. Also have 3 dyno's for small engines in the area.  I use mainly Danibles Machine Shop 

richmondred01

I've been rebuilding kohlers for over 35 years. Only do the k series now. If required it's bored, crank ground, valve seats ground, valves replaced or resurfaced, valve guides replaced if needed. New piston, rod, rings, seals and rebuild carb.

Located in Richmond Virginia. I have little to no over head and my rebuild prices are 60-75 % less then dealers or machine shops in the area. PM me for details.

I don't do pulling engines. Mine go back to spec.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-goodpost:   Now that's a good tip.    :woohoo:

:thanks: