benjiboo

Custom Made Headlight Contacts

benjiboo

So I was missing the headlight contacts for my C-160 and bought some that were "sight un-seen" that turned out to be overpriced for being used and being junk. Bummer. So....., after seeing what they are supposed to look like I decided I would just machine the parts and make some new ones myself, for FREE. Lol. Now, I definately didn't "re-invent" the wheel here, but do feel I did recreate a "better built wheel" in my opinion. The stock parts didn't seem to have held up too well, so I used some better than stock materials to fab up my own. I used brass for the contacts and nylon for the insulator, both being turned from rod stock on the lathe. The brass contact is hollow and soldered to the wire and the insulator is essentially an odd sized nylon washer but none the less still had to be custom made. Anyway, thought you guys/gals might like to see what I came up with.

post-12065-0-30277700-1386380820_thumb.j

• Like 5

JimmyJam

Nice! Very creative! Thanks for sharing with pics!

"D"- Man

Looks very professionally done, do you plan on making some more "wheels" and offering these for sale? Mark.

benjiboo

Looks very professionally done, do you plan on making some more "wheels" and offering these for sale? Mark.

Thanks for the compliment.

Lol. I hadn't really planned on it. If I can find the right parts so that I don't have to machine anything then then I might consider it. I've found that usually when I have to machine something it really starts to eat into what you can make off a part. I've tried to machine small parts in the past to sell and it really becomes more of a hobby than a profit because of the time involved. Lol.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Nicely done.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Trouty56

Can't beat that price.....or quality.....good job....  Napa sells a socket and spring/wire/insulator setup for these bulbs...  I have bought sets and just used the wires and insulator but have also used the whole socket on occasion...

Might be part # ECH LS6427....just looked on the website but I think I have a box for reference in the garage.....probably that one I just threw out though....

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Very nice job!

WH nut

Thanks for the compliment.

Lol. I hadn't really planned on it. If I can find the right parts so that I don't have to machine anything then then I might consider it. I've found that usually when I have to machine something it really starts to eat into what you can make off a part. I've tried to machine small parts in the past to sell and it really becomes more of a hobby than a profit because of the time involved. Lol.

And that is why parts are made so cheap now days. Nice job

squonk

Napa # is LS6226

post-2380-0-82685800-1386455839.jpg

• Like 1

Trouty56

Napa # is LS6226

Well...I didn't know about this product....I always got the whole light socket assembly....

Kelly

Most auto parts stores sell the socket repair kits for the 1156 bulb style sockets, I buy them at auto swap meets for about $0.50 each, nice to have on hand. 

LFDRET

The end of a pop rivit work good too

Hydro

Reminds me of a shell casing Mark.  I wonder if there would be a calibre out there that would work?

Olratlr

Good job.